scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: scent

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:31 am

but if it gives me an advantage just once or twice a year it is worth the trouble to me.

More like once or twice in a lifetime..

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:55 am

magicman54494 wrote:The other day I was working on the log home when 2 people came down the road on their bicycles. I heard them talking as they went by. About 2 minutes later my head snapped up and I was testing the wind to try to figure out the different smell in the air. Then it dawned on me that it was perfume or cologne from the bikers. I was at least 100 yds from the road. Then I thought if I could smell that just think how good a deer can smell us.

Dude, that's because your working in the cleanest air the world has to offer, the Northwoods :lol: Just kidding you, but I am a little (LOT) jealous, so I decided you should hire me and take me in until we build a new log home for my wife and I and my mini gander mountain of shi#!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 am

Make that 4. My dad has always thought I was nuts because I could smell deer and like you, seconds later out walks a deer. He said if he wasn't sitting with me when I say that he wouldn't believe me. Of course it is easy to smell a rutting buck, they are rowdy smelling.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:51 am

I wish I could smell them, I too, have heard of people who can smell a rutting buck. I personally heve never smelled one, except after they have been killed. :(
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm saying that I can sometimes smell deer before I see them coming, and it's not just rutting bucks. Or bucks during the rut. I've smelled rutting bucks as well, but even early season hunting prior to the rut I've smelled them before I see them. Bucks AND Does.

I know it's weird and some people won't believe it. Guess I'll have to try to prove it on film somehow.
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:05 am

I too have smelled a rutting buck while still hunting . Have smelled even more moose during the rut than anything . They are not hard to distinguise , they just plain stink LOL,LOL
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:09 am

I've smelled the occational rutting buck - never an early season deer though. I used to easily get in on elk in September. They are very easy to smell and to know almost exactly where they are and how far away.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:I'm saying that I can sometimes smell deer before I see them coming, and it's not just rutting bucks. Or bucks during the rut. I've smelled rutting bucks as well, but even early season hunting prior to the rut I've smelled them before I see them. Bucks AND Does.

I know it's weird and some people won't believe it. Guess I'll have to try to prove it on film somehow.

Women also are said to have superior sense of smell to men. Like I said earlier, I wish I could smell this good... most of the time anyway ;)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 pm

I am saying the same thing as WIbowhuntress. I smell them early season, but if your sniffer is like mine then you know a rutting buck is almost enough to make you gag...hehehehehe
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 am

I was just reviewing a 45 minute interview with Andrae and surprisingly he gives a tip in the interview about how he goes downwind of buck bedding areas during the rut to "smell" if there in there...

I want to check with Danny and see if I can post sound clips on the site. I have some great interviews that would probably be very interesting to most...
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:16 pm

dan wrote:I was just reviewing a 45 minute interview with Andrae and surprisingly he gives a tip in the interview about how he goes downwind of buck bedding areas during the rut to "smell" if there in there...

I want to check with Danny and see if I can post sound clips on the site. I have some great interviews that would probably be very interesting to most...

You should be able to find a hosting site similiar to youtube where you can upload sound bites and then post them here, try googling audio clip hosting.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:38 pm

I can remember an instance where I was late at getting into one of my spots and spooked a buck ahead of me. I stood still for a minute and then proceeded forward. As I came to where he had been it smelled very musky and I suddenly realized that we can see a deer - hear a deer - and yes....smell a deer! Our noses are better than we think or give credit. We have just unlearned how to get the most out of our noses through man's lazy evolution.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:15 am

In the past I have been blessed to be able to hunt large blocks of time, meaning day in and day out for as many as 10 weeks in a row. I did this for many years. This was in a large wilderness setting far from traffic , cities, etc.etc. Within a few weeks of doing nothing but spending every daylight minute in the woods thinking of wind direction, thermals, all the sounds of the woods, deer habits, etc. I reach a point where it becomes automatic, I notice every little sound, the slightest of wind change, I become tuned into the ever changing rhythm of the fall woods. I have especially noticed my scenting ability gets better and better as fall progresses. Being able to scent scrapes/bucks from a distance was no problem. Once after weeks of hunting it was time to leave. When I finally got out to the main road I thought I had developed a exhaust leak in my truck which was very concerning because of the long drive ahead of me. The fumes were so strong I couldn't hardly stand them. Then I figured it out, it was only the NORMAL exhaust fumes of the vehicles on the road ahead of me. Looking forward to getting tuned into the fall woods again soon. A couple of more days and the days will again start to shorten as we get closer to another hunting season. M.P.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”