wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beauford

wind

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:37 am

A lot of talk about your scent showering etc. If you don't take a shower or anything, how do you know your not going to get scented. Is this based on past hunts in this area how the wind gets carried away from this spot. Would now be a good time for me to try smoke bombs and wind checkers to really see where my scent is getting carried from some of my spots I hunt. I used to use baking soda from stand to check wind but it sure doesn't work like using them milkweed pods. What if your in stand hunting and the wind changes the last 45-hour you stay put, or get done and still hunt out?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: wind

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 am

If you don't take a shower or anything, how do you know your not going to get scented.

How do you know your not going to get scented if you do take a shower?
If the deer gets your wind stream he winds you whether your clean or dirty.
What if your in stand hunting and the wind changes the last 45-hour you stay put, or get done and still hunt out?

Generally wind direction changes the last 45 minutes are do to thermals.
Thermals can be predicted and should be taken into account when choosing your tree. I monitor my wind with milkweed, if it blows in the wrong direction but the wind current rises and takes it above the deer trail I stay... If it hits the deer trail I try to determine if I can kill the deer before he get to the scent stream. If I can't I get down and if I have time move my stand if not hunt off the ground where I can get away with that wind.
If it blows towards the bedding area I am expecting the buck to come from I leave.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 pm

So if the wind is blowing my scent out into the cattails, and I am 10-15 yards to the side of the trail from where I expect the deer to come out I should be fine? For the most part when the deer get up in the cattails they mingo around and follow the trail in to the inland? Can deer scent check very well in the cattails in the early season(green)?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:24 pm

They can scent check anywhere in any conditions if the wind stream hits them. Wind will sometimes carry scent over and above cattails, but you can't count on that. Play the wind. Use milkweed to tell you exactly where your wind stream is going. Don't trust just one or two, drop a few and monitor where they go. Thats where your scent stream is.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:17 pm

If I am in stand and get an unpredicted wind the last hour of daylight I assess how it will effect my hunting for the future, If I plan to hunt that spot again that season I get out. If I don't plan to hunt the area again I just ride it out, sometimes you get lucky and the wind shifts again before the deer move, I would also say I normally try to have a marginal shooting lane on the trail before the deer would get an errant breeze, usually this may only be a 1-2 foot hole to shoot but if I feel the deer will smell me from my best shooting lane I will try to make the shot before they bust out.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:18 am

I have always struggled with this too. Some really good points here. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”