How repeatable are a turkey's travel routes?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

How repeatable are a turkey's travel routes?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 am

I wasn't able to get out to the woods until about 1:30pm today. I had never been there before, so I was learning the land as much as anything else. Walking around a bend in the main dusty walking trail, I spotted a gobbler standing right in the middle of the trail about 50 yards away. He probably had about a 6 or 7 inch beard, but walked away into the woods before I could get my gun ready. The woods that he went into were quite thick, and all private. On the opposite side of the trail it was all open public, with just knee high weeds and dry grass. I wasn't sure if he was just randomly there, or if he usually comes out to that trail because of the dry dirt. I couldn't see any other tracks or scratch marks, the ground was too hard.

Would it be a good idea to set up right on the edge of the trail if it got to be around 11 or noon and I hadn't seen a bird yet in the woods? Or would the odds of him returning be unlikely?

muddy

Re: How repeatable are a turkey's travel routes?

Unread postby muddy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:22 am

If there hasn't been much pressure I'd say he will come back in the next day or two. Turkeys don't deviate from their patterns very much until forced too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

Well, it's the first season and I also saw two deer in the hour I was walking around so maybe it's worth a shot then.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 am

I agree with Muddy. Plus the fact that you mentioned it was a dusty trail leads me to think he may have been there to dust himself, as turkeys often do this to help rid their feathers of parasites. I think he will be back as well as other birds. look for shallow depressions in the softer soil, this will indicate dusting.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 am

Sounds good. Typically speaking, will a turkey prefer to dust out in the open or in shade? Because a little further down the trail goes down a ravine that's well shaded by pine trees, and although I didn't necessarily see any depressions, I know turkeys like pines from previous hunts. I will try to get out tomorrow if I can. It really sucks having 3 exams and 3 lab reports the week of my hunt and I know where my priority needs to be right now.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 am

Good job keeping your priorites in order. ;) Usually I see the dusting areas in more open spots. I think this is because the sun keeps the sandy, dusty soil drier;.. and the birds prefer that.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 am

That's his strut zone / hang out zone, he'll be there.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am

muddy wrote:That's his strut zone / hang out zone, he'll be there.

I agree 100 percent with muddy

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Yup muddy said it 100%, set up a blind near the dusting spot, he will be back. More importantly hens will come to it to so you should have plenty of live decoys in the area which can be good and bad.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Should I risk putting out any decoys? I have two hens that are foam, and one Jake that's decent quality. I feel like he'd be eyeing those things up from within the cover of the woods and might realize somethings up. And what about calling? Throw a couple yelps every 15-20 min? Nice thing is this spot is only a couple hundred yards from the parking lot. I'm sure everyone else walks right past.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Should I risk putting out any decoys? I have two hens that are foam, and one Jake that's decent quality. I feel like he'd be eyeing those things up from within the cover of the woods and might realize somethings up. And what about calling? Throw a couple yelps every 15-20 min? Nice thing is this spot is only a couple hundred yards from the parking lot. I'm sure everyone else walks right past.

I would put them out, if your using a shotgun the decoy quality isn't near as important as if your using a bow. I would put the hen real close or possibly laying in the dusting spot and just use one stick or set it right on the ground and use both stakes to "sandwich" it so it doesnt move/blow away. If you have a lot of hens the jake won't do much, but if there arean't a ton of hens a jake may be the thing that pulls the bird in. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment, and at a dusting spot they can and will come in anytime from dawn till dusk so hunt as long as your able to.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Not a turkey hunter yet but this weekend saw single hens walking around with no other turkeys close. I am used to seeing single toms out on the prowl so wonder what is up? Do hens singly search out toms?
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:20 pm

blackwolf wrote:Not a turkey hunter yet but this weekend saw single hens walking around with no other turkeys close. I am used to seeing single toms out on the prowl so wonder what is up? Do hens singly search out toms?

Generally in the mornings the hens come to feed in the open fields and the toms come watch them and strut around and then usually the hen will meet up with the tom and go off into the woods. Hens wander all the time, in later seasons they will get off the nests every few hours and go feed or dust themselves. This is a good time to find toms on the prowl looking for hens. If a hen is feeding and a tom shows up, generally the hen will eventually go to the tom although sometimes the tom is impatient and heads right to her.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:04 am

This morning I walked down to where I expected birds to roost, near a big drop off to a lake. Heard a gobble 200 yards off, so I quietly snuck to about 100 yards and listened to him gobble. Gave a few yelps just so he knew I was there. I was above him and on a funnel that should have led him to a little opening that I was originally at. Eventually he must have flown down and went the other way. Gobbling went further and further down the lake instead of uphill towards me. Ill sit at the clearing a little longer, then run and gun to explore a little more, and finally set back up in that dusting spot

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am

Your tom must have had hens with him that led him away from you this morning... Those hens get jealous!!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”