Who can read turkey body language?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Who can read turkey body language?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Just read an article today about reading the colors on their head and their body language to check their mood. They discussed this as being an indicator of if they are coming in.

I am not that advanced and don't hunt with that knowledge. Anyone do this?

I can post up some points from the article tomorrow. I need to review it one more time to grasp this as it is new to me.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brad

Re: Who can read turkey body language?

Unread postby Brad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 pm

I can tell if they are some what mad or jealous to a degree based on body language but I do not know the subtle clues. ALL of the turkeys I shot have had bright red heads right before I shot.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I read a lot of body language ..... I notice when I call to them and they comit , there heads will turn bright white..... Or when they see something they don't like there snood will suck back up into its head..... Or when a jake comes in ,or even my set up and I have a jake decoy there heads turn red.....like fighting mode...... Another thing I notice is when they see something they don't like or nervous ,they kind of like fold and tuck there wings

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Last edited by BigHunt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:14 pm

The most thing im always looking for or at is that snood...... I think that's one of the most important things to watch ...you can tell a lot from that alone.....even from a far distance looking through binos and making a call or two u can see what mood there in by watching the snood.....

Last edited by BigHunt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 pm

BigHunt, I knew you were a turkey killing machine. That is good stuff right there.

I just never took it to this level, and I was very intrigued by this article. You sound like you wrote it. I will try to brush up on this topic tomorrow and post some more body language and head color highlights.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:BigHunt, I knew you were a turkey killing machine. That is good stuff right there.

I just never took it to this level, and I was very intrigued by this article. You sound like you wrote it. I will try to brush up on this topic tomorrow and post some more body language and head color highlights.

Sweet looking forward to it......

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Long snood, angry/confident bird. White heads are usually indicative of subordinate and less aggressive birds. When that head starts getting red to pink that bird is extremely agitated and ready to throw hooks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Red head can indicative of agitated, but more often its a sign of nervousness or fright. A white head shows dominance or confidence.. If a bird has a white head, he is typically a dominant bird, and has no problem hanging around your decoys for awhile, as there is nothing thats really bothering him. Red heads are more likely to bail..

There are a ton of other indicators, such as the snood (as bighunt mentioned), belly feathers, head angle, back feathers, and feet cadence, but I dont have time to post that all right now.. I will post more later..
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:43 pm

I know a few turkeys that when they are "lying"......they look to the ground and won't look me in the eye.

I call them turkeys my Grandsons....... :D :D
Ellie

Unread postby Ellie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:I know a few turkeys that when they are "lying"......they look to the ground and won't look me in the eye.

I call them turkeys my Grandsons....... :D :D

:lol:
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 am

I really have no idea about body language, I'm not exactly a dedicated turkey hunter. :mrgreen: Lou, where did you find this article? Online? I'd like to read that. Or take a turkey lessons from bighunt :mrgreen:

Although I can identify with Bigdaddy's comments....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Ellie

Unread postby Ellie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 am

Ellie is logged in, and I am too lazy to log her off and me in.

The article was in North American Hunter February/March 2012 issue.

It has a big turkey on the front and says Head Case. Great article. I am going to post some highlights from this article later. I found it not only a must read for turkey hunters, I am going to study this one a bit, maybe make a cheat sheet for taking along.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Heres some more info for you guys-

Snood-

A relaxed or dangling snood is a sign of confidence. There is not a drop of fear in turkey’s birds body. He is digging the scene and going nowhere fast. Sit tight and watch the show unfold. Let the turkey dance.

Head Angle

When a male turkey approaches your set with his head tilted up in the air, it’s an attempt to make him look taller and bigger. It’s a bluff, and the turkey may close the distance and assault your decoys, or he may turn tail and run out of fear. Watch the head colors and wing position to see if the turkey is staying to fight, or running to avoid confrontation.

Belly Feathers

One of our favorite scenes is the belly feathers of an adult turkey locked out so hard they shake like jello when he walks or runs. This turkey is on a mission and will not stop until he smacks your decoy. Let him bump your jake before you even think of taking the shot. You will be glad you waited.

Upper Back Feathers

When the upper back feathers get to rising your in a good place. This bird is feeling better and better and you have him on the bubble. The days is yours to make or break. With the right decoy set and some sweet calling, he will commit. May be 1 minute, may be 45, but he will come if you play it right.

Wing Position

The higher the wings on your birds back, the more likely he is to walk. Watch closely for that wing flip where he throws his wing on top of his back. It’s time to shoot. He aint getting no closer.

Feet Cadence

Sometimes your calling will get a bird so excited his feet will start bouncing up and down like he is dancing a jig. Back off.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Heres some more info for you guys-

Snood-

A relaxed or dangling snood is a sign of confidence. There is not a drop of fear in turkey’s birds body. He is digging the scene and going nowhere fast. Sit tight and watch the show unfold. Let the turkey dance.

Head Angle

When a male turkey approaches your set with his head tilted up in the air, it’s an attempt to make him look taller and bigger. It’s a bluff, and the turkey may close the distance and assault your decoys, or he may turn tail and run out of fear. Watch the head colors and wing position to see if the turkey is staying to fight, or running to avoid confrontation.

Belly Feathers

One of our favorite scenes is the belly feathers of an adult turkey locked out so hard they shake like jello when he walks or runs. This turkey is on a mission and will not stop until he smacks your decoy. Let him bump your jake before you even think of taking the shot. You will be glad you waited.

Upper Back Feathers

When the upper back feathers get to rising your in a good place. This bird is feeling better and better and you have him on the bubble. The days is yours to make or break. With the right decoy set and some sweet calling, he will commit. May be 1 minute, may be 45, but he will come if you play it right.

Wing Position

The higher the wings on your birds back, the more likely he is to walk. Watch closely for that wing flip where he throws his wing on top of his back. It’s time to shoot. He aint getting no closer.

Feet Cadence

Sometimes your calling will get a bird so excited his feet will start bouncing up and down like he is dancing a jig. Back off.

Good info! 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:08 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Heres some more info for you guys-

Snood-

Head Angle

Belly Feathers

Upper Back Feathers

Wing Position

Feet Cadence

Good stuff...... I've whiteness most of this in the field ecspeaily the snood and wing fold

HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”