Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Mike Foss wrote:I also had lymes disease about 4 years ago. I personally wouldnt mess with any of the over the counter bug products that you could possibly absorb threw your skin, who knows some bad symtoms might not show up for years, dont want to wake up some morning and find an extra body part growing :lol:

I use this clothing "ElimiTick" made by the Game Hide Company http://www.gamehide.com . It is a man-made version of a natural repellent found in chrysanthemum flowers. Its good up to 70 washes, its the first ever EPA-registered insect repellent clothing: appropriate for the use by everyone, including infants and children. They also have some clothing (vest) for dogs.

It does work, I use it all the time for turkey hunting but mostly when baiting bears. It does cost some but well worth it.

Pemethrin is the same active ingredient used in stuff you buy from a vet. When you buy permethrin 10 it gives you instructions on how to mix it up to spray it directly on livestock. Directly. Theres nothing to absorb by putting this on your clothes and letting it dry. The only way it could be of danger is if it was oil based and never fully dried.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:57 am

I jumped the gun, your right :oops: After researching into it more. Permethrin arrives from the Chrysanthemum flower. Just another fancy word meaning the same thing. Chysanthemum Flower sounds and is more user friendly. Thanks for the heads up.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:23 am

Ahh marketing. Although if they use the flowers fibers thats probably how it lasts so long with washing.

I have some fly fishing clothes I think theyre called bug off... same theory.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 am

Mike Foss wrote:I also had lymes disease about 4 years ago. I personally wouldnt mess with any of the over the counter bug products that you could possibly absorb threw your skin, who knows some bad symtoms might not show up for years, dont want to wake up some morning and find an extra body part growing :lol:

I use this clothing "ElimiTick" made by the Game Hide Company http://www.gamehide.com . It is a man-made version of a natural repellent found in chrysanthemum flowers. Its good up to 70 washes, its the first ever EPA-registered insect repellent clothing: appropriate for the use by everyone, including infants and children. They also have some clothing (vest) for dogs.

It does work, I use it all the time for turkey hunting but mostly when baiting bears. It does cost some but well worth it.

My son Jamie got a set of Game hide Elimitick clothing from Mike while he was up there bear hunting, the stuff certainly works.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 am

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:49 am

Haus86 wrote:Has anyone every looked up permethrin toxicity?

I worried when I first used it so I would wear a base layer of under armor. I just had my outer layer of camafloge treated. I don’t worry anymore and treat everything even my hat.

The ticks are just terrible in my area. I recently treated my yard and exterior of house with a product called Wisdom TC; purchased at Tractor Supply. It appears to be working, time will tell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”