Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 am

Permethrin is the active ingredient in all of them that work. What you need to do is head down to tractor supply, Farm&Fleet, lowes etc. Usually you can get a bottle of concentrate called Ortho Total Kill or a strait bottle of concentrate. If you get the Ortho, its a 2.5% permethrin, youll will mix this 5:1 with water. This gives you the same concentrate as No Stinkn Ticks, Sawyers, Repel (.5%Permethrin). Check the bottle to see what your percentage is, obviously if it’s higher than 2.5 you need to redo the ratio to make it the same.

Put that concoction in a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store or where ever. Take it outside with all your clothes you plan to wear and DOUSE IT! DO NOT LET THIS MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN OR SPRAY YOUR SKIN DIRECTLY JUST LIKE OTHER TICK PRODUCTS. Let it dry outside until its 100% dry. Next time you hunt, you won’t have a tick in sight. I lay it heavy on my pants, shirt, socks, hat, anywhere you see they can get in.

If a tick gets on you, you’ll see it get sick quick and fall off. Its also... scent free ONCE DRY. And will last up to 4 weeks of use or 4 washes whichever comes first. I usually redo after 2 weeks to be safe.

Here are a couple of pictures of what you are looking for. I bought the brown bottle at Farm & Fleet on clearance for about $2.75 last year. Beats paying $6.00 for a small can of Repel that will do a pants and shirt. Did I mention I hate ticks!!!

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 am

who told you about that ;)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 am

jlh42581 wrote:who told you about that ;)

Cabbaged on to that on a different hunting site last year I believe. ;) Stuff does really work well as you know. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:19 am

Looks like your post from archery talk, word for word.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:18 am

Spysar wrote:

LOL it is :mrgreen:

I dont care, it needs shared. At one got bumped back up, I posted it last year. I orginally obtained how to make it from another forum so glad anyone can find it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:31 am

jlh42581 wrote:
Spysar wrote:

LOL it is :mrgreen:

I dont care, it needs shared. At one got bumped back up, I posted it last year. I orginally obtained how to make it from another forum so glad anyone can find it.

I did pleasurize it almost word for word ;) I didn't know who the post was started by. Great information needs to be spread around.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am

Agreed stan, no point in retyping it out. It is, what it is. :D
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:52 pm

An old guy told me once if you start a week or two before turkey season and take a shot glass full of red wine vinegar every morning you will not have to worry about mosquitos ticks or black flies...and he was serious ....but i never hunted with them and i am gullable.... ANyone ever try this? (not to hijack the thread)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am

gjs4 wrote:An old guy told me once if you start a week or two before turkey season and take a shot glass full of red wine vinegar every morning you will not have to worry about mosquitos ticks or black flies...and he was serious ....but i never hunted with them and i am gullable.... ANyone ever try this? (not to hijack the thread)

I recall something about that causing stomach issues. Ill pass lol.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:36 am

I use DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon, mix it .5% and use as a spray. It's about $40.00 shipped. However, even at that, mixed up it's about the equivalent of 7 of the 24oz. bottles of Sawyers, which would be around $90.00.

The ticks are absolutely terrible around here and since I started using that formula I haven't had a one...and no chiggers either, which are also terrible. This mild winter is going to make ticks and chiggers even worse. I've picked off close to 20 ticks already. I reached up on the refrigerator to get the concentrate and found the bottle empty. It was laying on it's side and everything seeped out. Had to order more and should be here tomorrow.
spring creek

Unread postby spring creek » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

Does this do anything for mosquitos?? There seems to be a bumper crop of them this year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

spring creek wrote:Does this do anything for mosquitos?? There seems to be a bumper crop of them this year.

This is a clothing treatment. The mosquitoes won't bite through the treated clothing. Skin is a different story.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 am

So I just stopped to get a new bottle of Permitherin 10 at Tractor Supply.

8oz bottle is 6.99

Looks like this

IT IS 10% permitherin

Sawyers is .5% permitherin by volume 24oz is $17.51

Looks like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... ting-goods

If you take the 10 and cut it properly to get the same formula as sawyers you looking mixing 20oz of water for every 1oz of Permitherin 10

8x20 = 160oz / 64oz in a gallon = 2.5 gallons of spray

You would need 6.6 full 24oz bottles of sawyers to get the same thing costing you $115.56

So... you can spend $6.99 or $115.56 over the same period of time... not a very hard choice
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:29 am

jlh42581 wrote:So I just stopped to get a new bottle of Permitherin 10 at Tractor Supply.

8oz bottle is 6.99

Looks like this

IT IS 10% permitherin

Sawyers is .5% permitherin by volume 24oz is $17.51

Looks like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... ting-goods

If you take the 10 and cut it properly to get the same formula as sawyers you looking mixing 20oz of water for every 1oz of Permitherin 10

8x20 = 160oz / 64oz in a gallon = 2.5 gallons of spray

You would need 6.6 full 24oz bottles of sawyers to get the same thing costing you $115.56

So... you can spend $6.99 or $115.56 over the same period of time... not a very hard choice

Great information. If anyone is out where there are ticks this stuff is way cheaper than a trip to the doctor for a tick bite. Even if you don't get Lyme disease a tick bite can fester for months. Play it safe, spend a couple bucks and keep those stinking ticks off. I hate ticks.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:49 am

Bought the Premetherin 10 today and a couple spray bottles. Mixed up 3 quart bottles and ready to go. Soakin the clothes tonight.

We have a youth turkey hunt this weekend at LBL and with the temps in the 80's, the ticks are rollin. Hope this works or I'm up a creek! :pray:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”