Help with contour map - stand sites ??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

10point

Help with contour map - stand sites ??

Unread postby 10point » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Finally, my first out of state bowhunting trip :D My brother and I will be bowhunting this 160 acres in Illinois this fall and were looking for help with stand sites/bedding areas. Prevailing winds are SW in early season, turning NW by November. Fields will be beans this year. I just rewatched Hill Country bucks, so I realize the importance of thermals...Would this property have enough elevation change to have a thermal tunnel on the "Lee" side? Also, the NE 550 contour is a large oak flat... ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated....thanks again.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Help with contour map - stand sites ??

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm

When are you hunting there? Early October? Rut? Late season? all of those?
10point

Unread postby 10point » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm

First weekend in Oct..last weekend in Oct...Thanksgiving weekend...possibly in Dec/Jan. The owner has leased out gun season and early November... Gotta stick em' early! We are heading down in 2 weeks to do some prelim. scouting and again in August to hang stands.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:30 pm

You might want to go down a week before your hunt and see from a distance with bino's if anything good is stepping out before dark.
If not, here are my recommendations on stand placement and bedding spots. Keep in mind that the marked beds should have bucks only when the wind blows from up hill towards the point or drop off the buck is staring down with the exception of the field edge beds, which is something I have noticed a lot of in West central Illinois but not much in Wisconsin. The bucks will bed facing the field watching for hunters rather than downhill on farms where hunters always come from the fields...
I marked the bedding areas in red, and the stand sites in blue. I know some get really close, you will have to really plan your access rought carefully and what order you hunt the stands in... Image
10point

Unread postby 10point » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks Dan. It looks like you would disregard the south half of the farm for most activity. Is there a reason for that?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 am

Well, I would expect there to be some bedding on the tops at the points on the field edges watching the fields. Those deer would likely see you coming for a mile, and I would expect the better bucks to be on those better points up on top. But I could be wrong. The deer in the southern half should step out before last light unless there is a good acrorn drop in the southern area. So you should be able to do some glassing and determine if you should try down there before crossing the fields and spooking that half. I would glass close to the time your going to hunt. The weekend before, or better yet the day before. Deer change there patterns frequently and getting right on them has a better payout.
10point

Unread postby 10point » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am

makes great sense to me Dan...thanks so much. I hope to confirm some of these spots when I actually see the property first hand next weekend....Thanks again.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Cool... Looking forward to your report. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”