Set Options and Stand Choices - One Week Rut Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

Set Options and Stand Choices - One Week Rut Hunting

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 am

Given Scenario:

Two hunters - out of State one week rut hunt ranging from end of first week in November to third week in November based on work schedules.

450 acre private farm with heavy bean/corn. 100 of which is wooded. All acreage is spread over 5 non-contiguous parcels on same road for over a mile. 50 of the wooded acres are on one tract of about 120 acres. Farm holds sizeable percentage of wooded acreage for the immediate sq. mi. Theft risk is low - two competing bow hunters who use climbers. They only hunt on the odd evening hunt or on Saturday and stick to the largest wooded parcel.

Arrive Sunday morning and leave the following Sunday. No Sunday hunting allowed but set up/scouting is allowed then. No screw-in steps but hanging stands otherwise A-OK. Wooded acrage offers plenty of climber-friendly trees as well as great hang-on and ladder trees.

Hunting tactics aside...what set options or stand choices do you bring per hunter? Climber only? Climber and hang-on? Multiple hang-ons? One mobile hang-on set? Ladders? Assume ample trailer space to bring multiple sets and any set up and take down is to be done during that week (ie nothing set up prior to arriving).
Last edited by phade on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Set Options and Stand Choices - One Week Rut Hunting

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 am

Ill be in this scenerio this fall on public

Im taking

4-5 Lone Wolf Sticks
1 Alpha
1 Pair of waders
1 Boat
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 am

jlh42581 wrote:Ill be in this scenerio this fall on public

Im taking

4-5 Lone Wolf Sticks
1 Alpha
1 Pair of waders
1 Boat

Public imo forces one's hand. This is private with minimal theft risk.
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:30 am

Why would you wanna tipyour hand to the deer. If you hang those, what if the wind is wrong. Id save the pre setups for home territory

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 am

I would bring a L/W Alpha and 5 sticks... I would likely bring a second one too, but on most of my out of state trips the second one does not get used... Given only one week to hunt on that size of property I doubt I would ever hunt the same tree twice...
Public or private makes little difference... I hang the stand daily to be mobile.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 am

jlh42581 wrote:Why would you wanna tipyour hand to the deer. If you hang those, what if the wind is wrong. Id save the pre setups for home territory

If the wind is wrong for what, precisely? That stand site or while setting up?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:40 am

dan wrote:I would bring a L/W Alpha and 5 sticks... I would likely bring a second one too, but on most of my out of state trips the second one does not get used... Given only one week to hunt on that size of property I doubt I would ever hunt the same tree twice...
Public or private makes little difference... I hang the stand daily to be mobile.

What he said.

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

phade wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:Why would you wanna tipyour hand to the deer. If you hang those, what if the wind is wrong. Id save the pre setups for home territory

If the wind is wrong for what, precisely? That stand site or while setting up?

The stand site. Unless you got enough to cover every scenerio. Im guessing these wont all be high quality stands fully pimped out silent. Like dan said, I plan on burning bridges quickly. I assume youll hunt morning and evening meaning to play thermals you might need twice as many permanent stands.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am

phade wrote:Given Scenario:

Two hunters - out of State one week rut hunt ranging from end of first week in November to third week in November based on work schedules.

450 acre private farm with heavy bean/corn. 100 of which is wooded. All acreage is spread over 5 non-contiguous parcels on same road for over a mile. 50 of the wooded acres are on one tract of about 120 acres. Farm holds sizeable percentage of wooded acreage for the immediate sq. mi. Theft risk is low - two competing bow hunters who use climbers. They only hunt on the odd evening hunt or on Saturday and stick to the largest wooded parcel.

Arrive Sunday morning and leave the following Sunday. No Sunday hunting allowed but set up/scouting is allowed then. No screw-in steps but hanging stands otherwise A-OK. Wooded acrage offers plenty of climber-friendly trees as well as great hang-on and ladder trees.

Hunting tactics aside...what set options or stand choices do you bring per hunter? Climber only? Climber and hang-on? Multiple hang-ons? One mobile hang-on set? Ladders? Assume ample trailer space to bring multiple sets and any set up and take down is to be done during that week (ie nothing set up prior to arriving).

Are you saying there will be two other hunters besides the two of you? In the big parcel of timber from time to time??

What state is this gonna be in?

100 wooded acres isn't that much. The larger parcel might have 2 or 3 good stand sites? The smaller parcels 1 maybe 2 stand sites? I would bring 3 climbing sticks and 3 hang ons and a climber, since you said you'd have a trailer and space wasn't an issue.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Correct. Two local bowhunters stick to the largest parcel and will only hunt an occasional afternoon and Saturday. They use climbers, but that parcel is also about as well suited for climber use as can be.

Flat Ohio ag terrain...real flat.

Looking at 2-3 sites per small parcel and 5-6 for the large one - so 13-18 sites based on crop situation and traditional funnel situations. Obviously not bringing 13+ stands.

Buck bedding areas remain somehwat unknown and may have to rely on speed scouting/features to connect. Glassing is impossible if corn is up. A few spots could be great all-day locations between doe bedding areas that were previously identified and that seems to be point of discussion - knowing that we'd likely set with the intent of being there all day in those spots with the possibility of sitting it a second time if conditions warrant and we think it is worthwhile.

We each have LW Alphas/sticks and LW S&C and I have plenty of stands of other various varieties at my disposal.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd take some sticks, strap on steps, and my sling.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

No saddle...hard to come by a new one these days. Thought about a Guidos Web...but totally new style of hunting to me.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

got a topo map and aerial?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”