Anybody shoot fingers?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: Anybody shoot fingers?

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 am

^^GREAT analogy.

(tips hat)

Lateral Bowhunter
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. Think I'll probably have to get a flipper on my old compound, and stick with a release on my 'new' compound as it's really short. Forgot about pinch, knew correct pressure was an issue. We'll see how it goes, may just go traditional, as I want to have more control and keep it simpler at the same time. all great info/experience here.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 pm

rochester coops wrote:Thanks guys. Think I'll probably have to get a flipper on my old compound, and stick with a release on my 'new' compound as it's really short. Forgot about pinch, knew correct pressure was an issue. We'll see how it goes, may just go traditional, as I want to have more control and keep it simpler at the same time. all great info/experience here.

Good luck to you, hope you like the fingers method.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm

JV NC wrote:Sure, it'll work. It'll work better if:

1. You're over-spined.
2. You shoot a mechanical BH.
3. You limit your shots to close range.

But, there are some inherent problems with a full containment rest and shooting fingers. Yes, it'll work. Yes, there are better options.

Just curious what your reasoning for numbers 2 and 3 are? Have you ever tuned a bow for fingers with a Biscuit? It all boils down to how much time you spend getting the bow to shoot. Many guys will say that my 37" Drenalin LD is too short for a finger bow, but I am getting consistently good arrow flight with the setup I have right now. Did it require a lot of my time to tune? You bet, but that's something I enjoy doing and I am always looking for new ways to improve my setup.

I personally have no problems shooting a fixed blade broadhead.....heck, if I can get a 3 3/4" Magnus Bullhead to fly straight, a 1" fixed blade head is a cakewalk. And I can get those same Bullheads to fly straight at 40 to 50 yards.....there are many guys who cannot even achieve that shooting a release.

Shooting with fingers takes A LOT more time and dedication than shooting with a release, obviously because there are more variables to the shot sequence. Get all those variables figured out and you're going to be able to shoot any broadhead at any distance. I personally limit my hunting shot distance to around 30 yards.......I shoot farther than this in the yard and at 3D shoots, but on a live animal I will not risk something going wrong at the longer distances.

And one thing I will mention about the Biscuit.....at this time I don't think there is a better rest out there for somebody shooting a hunting bow with fingers. I shot flippers back in the day and when shooting from a stand you have a real good chance at torquing the arrow off the rest. There is nothing worse than fighting to get that arrow back on the rest in time for a shot at a deer. The Biscuit keeps the arrow there, all the time......it is just one less thing to worry about at the moment of truth. One of these days I will talk myself into trying a dropaway with fingers.......I know it's been done successfully, but I've just been too cheap to drop the cash to try one out.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm

I did started buy shooting with fingers and a biscuit arrow rest.
Like said before, for "close" shoot it's OK, well the precision are less good of course, you just need, like traditional bow, more training...

Why not, if you like it! 8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 am

Just curious what your reasoning for numbers 2 and 3 are?

You've already mentioned you shoot an arrow that's too stiff for your setup. That makes sense, since you're basically denying the archer's paradox - by shooting a full containment rest. A mechanical BH will impact with your FP's, especially at short(er) range(s).

That's #2 and #3, together. Nothing personal. It's physics.

Shooting with fingers takes A LOT more time and dedication than shooting with a release, obviously because there are more variables to the shot sequence.

I agree.

Lateral Bowhunter
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 am

The term trigger just doesn't sound right for a bow. ;)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am

Ack wrote:
JV NC wrote:Sure, it'll work. It'll work better if:

1. You're over-spined.
2. You shoot a mechanical BH.
3. You limit your shots to close range.

But, there are some inherent problems with a full containment rest and shooting fingers. Yes, it'll work. Yes, there are better options.

Just curious what your reasoning for numbers 2 and 3 are? Have you ever tuned a bow for fingers with a Biscuit? It all boils down to how much time you spend getting the bow to shoot. Many guys will say that my 37" Drenalin LD is too short for a finger bow, but I am getting consistently good arrow flight with the setup I have right now. Did it require a lot of my time to tune? You bet, but that's something I enjoy doing and I am always looking for new ways to improve my setup.

I personally have no problems shooting a fixed blade broadhead.....heck, if I can get a 3 3/4" Magnus Bullhead to fly straight, a 1" fixed blade head is a cakewalk. And I can get those same Bullheads to fly straight at 40 to 50 yards.....there are many guys who cannot even achieve that shooting a release.

Shooting with fingers takes A LOT more time and dedication than shooting with a release, obviously because there are more variables to the shot sequence. Get all those variables figured out and you're going to be able to shoot any broadhead at any distance. I personally limit my hunting shot distance to around 30 yards.......I shoot farther than this in the yard and at 3D shoots, but on a live animal I will not risk something going wrong at the longer distances.

And one thing I will mention about the Biscuit.....at this time I don't think there is a better rest out there for somebody shooting a hunting bow with fingers. I shot flippers back in the day and when shooting from a stand you have a real good chance at torquing the arrow off the rest. There is nothing worse than fighting to get that arrow back on the rest in time for a shot at a deer. The Biscuit keeps the arrow there, all the time......it is just one less thing to worry about at the moment of truth. One of these days I will talk myself into trying a dropaway with fingers.......I know it's been done successfully, but I've just been too cheap to drop the cash to try one out.

I agree finger shooting takes more practice for sure. If shooting fingers and a stick bow it takes more practice yet. The arrow coming off the rest at draw is a byproduct of finger pinch on the nock. This finger pinch is multiplied by shorter bows not designed to be used with fingers (modern compound bows). So the whisker biscuit doesn't fix the finger pinch but is band aid holding the arrow in place during the draw. In my opinion the whisker biscuit does make it possible to incorrectly use equipment not designed for fingers. That said it will work and very well could get you where you need to go. Kind of like the little donut spare tire in the trunk of smaller cars. I see people leave them on cars until they pop.

Good discussion Ack
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

Schultzy wrote:The term trigger just doesn't sound right for a bow. ;)

I agree sounds more like the name of a horse. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”