Fawn crop 2012

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Fawn crop 2012

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

So far so good this winter!! The deer have pretty much had the whole 1st month of winter very easy here! I'm expecting a lot of the does that got bred to have multiple fawns this spring. Where I hunt that means instead of a doe having no fawns, she may give birth to 2 or maybe even 3 and 1 may survive to make the hunting season!! :shock: Throw in a bumper acorn crop and no doe tags up north and maybe the population will slowly start to rebound! Thoughts??

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hunter74

Re: Fawn crop 2012

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Man this is the same thing I was thinking and what I'm hoping...

The areas in central Wisconsin that I hunt have had terrible deer numbers for the last 4-5 years. However it looked to me like last season there was a bit of a come back in the population... Then I don't know if it was due to winter kill off or what but this year it was terrible... The worst its ever been, seemed like there was literally only a third of the deer there was the previous year

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:So far so good this winter!! The deer have pretty much had the whole 1st month of winter very easy here! I'm expecting a lot of the does that got bred to have multiple fawns this spring. Where I hunt that means instead of a doe having no fawns, she may give birth to 2 or maybe even 3 and 1 may survive to make the hunting season!! :shock: Throw in a bumper acorn crop and no doe tags up north and maybe the population will slowly start to rebound! Thoughts??

I don't know much about fawn crop or fawn production. When most does are bred is it believed they are initially carrying 2-3 inside of them? Then if the winter is a struggle they maybe miscarry 1 or 2 or sometimes all 3? Definitely interested in hearing more about it, I would guess the late start to winter would help the doe fawns that got bred late get a good healthy start towards actually giving birth to their fawns. That is definitely promising in my eyes. Great topic, looking forward to following this one and learning some more. 8-)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 pm

A mild winter would be great for the deer herd but I am afraid that will just give the DNR more reason increase the antlerless tags again. Many units should have stayed buck only for a few more years.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Dewey wrote:A mild winter would be great for the deer herd but I am afraid that will just give the DNR more reason increase the antlerless tags again. Many units should have stayed buck only for a few more years.

I couldn't agree more!! Hopefully the confusion or clarity, provided by bringing in this new deer czar will cause them to miss out on the fact that the winter was mild and more deer lived.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:07 am

Public Land Beast wrote: no doe tags up north and maybe the population will slowly start to rebound! Thoughts??

Sadly, I dont see this happening PLB... Even though it is desperatly needed
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:01 am

I'm expecting to see less fawn abadonment this year than I have in the past. I think our local herd is as healthy as I've seen it. My deer sightings were considerably down this year.

And.....that's a GOOD thing.
Lateral Bowhunter
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:43 am

Public Land Beast wrote:So far so good this winter!! The deer have pretty much had the whole 1st month of winter very easy here! I'm expecting a lot of the does that got bred to have multiple fawns this spring. Where I hunt that means instead of a doe having no fawns, she may give birth to 2 or maybe even 3 and 1 may survive to make the hunting season!! :shock: Throw in a bumper acorn crop and no doe tags up north and maybe the population will slowly start to rebound! Thoughts??

I would agree with you here PLB. With the warm winter survival and birth rates should be great this spring/summer for the up coming 2012 hunting season.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 am

Dewey wrote:A mild winter would be great for the deer herd but I am afraid that will just give the DNR more reason increase the antlerless tags again. Many units should have stayed buck only for a few more years.

I agree too!!
Obsession Bows
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:52 am

I'm not a scientist or biologist but I know the last 2 winters were really tough here for the deer. It started right away early Dec. and we had lots of snow all winter. Last winter maybe not too much bitter cold, but still severe!! I would think young fawns and mature bucks worn down from the rut would suffer the most. The does that have been bred expend so much energy trying to stay warm and search for food that it can't be good for fawn production. Yes, some may say it is just mother nature thinning out the weak, but this state needs a couple mild winters to get those fawn numbers back up. Then again like was mentioned the DNR will just give out more tags and many of those fawns will get killed :roll:
Obsession Bows
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:31 am

I am also very thankful for the mild winter. In the far north end of my deer territory the population has been down for 4-5 years now. The DNR is doing the right thing and barely giving out any doe tags but because of wolves and winters the deer have not been able to recover. I have to think even the wolves are starting to hurt because their aren't enough deer to support all of them. Many packs moving south to central MN where i do a lot of bowhunting.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 am

I am thinking this year will be a good fawn crop nation wide as we have had a mild winter as a whole nation wide. We have killed two bobcats and one coyote so far this week at my club so I know that is going to help the turkeys and fawns a few months from now. I have 11 days left of deer hunting then I will be switching gears to predator killing for the next 2 months. A pig farmer down the road has agreed to give me the carcasses and guts off several hogs to try and shoot a few yotes over. My game warden buddy said he wants to come out and join in the nighttime fun too that way no one things that we are poaching. Hoping w can take 4-5 more yotes out and really help the fawns and turkeys.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 am

As everyone else believes, I also think this year there should be a bumper crop of fawns. Or if nothing else, the deer going into whatever winter we will have from here until the end will go into it about as healthy as they could possibly be. Zero to maybe 1-2" of snow this entire year and it's Jan 11th?! That's crazy. Deer literally have food wherever they walk. That goes for antler growth as well. Bucks were able to or should have been able to get the weight back from the rut really quick and should be set for spring!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 am

Stump wrote:As everyone else believes, I also think this year there should be a bumper crop of fawns. Or if nothing else, the deer going into whatever winter we will have from here until the end will go into it about as healthy as they could possibly be. Zero to maybe 1-2" of snow this entire year and it's Jan 11th?! That's crazy. Deer literally have food wherever they walk. That goes for antler growth as well. Bucks were able to or should have been able to get the weight back from the rut really quick and should be set for spring!

I would agree Stump.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:43 am

All the snowmobilers and ice fisherman are pissed. While I'm out scouting 8-) 8-) .

I also agree. There is still a lot of greens around by me yet and tons for them to eat. They should be eating good and packing on the pounds. My buddy got 2 full strut toms on his trail camera yesterday...I think the Thomas's got their months mixed up ;) .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”