How long would you trust your climber?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

How long would you trust your climber?

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 am

Kinda hard to answer this, huh?

Mr. Man - I'd trust my climber against defects for 10yrs., because I've been hunting with mine for that long with no issues.

Interested hunter - Well, Mr. man.....how many times have you climbed with it?

Mr. Man - At least 40.

I have a LW climber that been up at least 300X in 4 seasons. Everything's "original". Is it time to change the belts?....lol With what they want for the belts, though, I think I'd rather sell the stand and "upgrade" to a newer wide sit and climb. But then I feel a responsibility to disclose how many times I've been up with it (instead of how many years I've owned it).

So....how much trust do you have in your climber? How much do you use it?

Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How long would you trust your climber?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 am

I had a LW hand climber and didn't like it at all. So never got to wear it out. I now have stand and sticks. I did see somewhere that a guy wore his sticks out. So everything has a life expectancy. I would think looking at the belts would give some indication of potential failure. A serpentine belt on a car can last for what 60, 70 thousand miles.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 am

A serpentine belt on a car can last for what 60, 70 thousand miles.

Well.....300X @ 40'/sit (20' up and 20' down) = at least (on the low end) 59,997.7mi. left to climb on these belts.

:D

The materials are completely different (auto belt v. LW climbing belt).
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 am

JV NC wrote:
A serpentine belt on a car can last for what 60, 70 thousand miles.

Well.....300X @ 40'/sit (20' up and 20' down) = at least (on the low end) 59,997.7mi. left to climb on these belts.

:D

The materials are completely different (auto belt v. LW climbing belt).

I was thinking they were both nylon reenforced. Don't have any to look at now.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 am

I'm going to replace my openshot next year.....I've climbed 800+ times with it. The aluminum keepers that lock the cables in place are starting to show some wear.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 am

Safety is the primary when hunting. Feeling safe is part of that primary.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

This is a great topic. I have a LW climber and have wondered about this myself. I check all the bolts prior to the season and still feel extremely safe when I'm in my stand however, I wonder sometimes because I have about the same number of climbs from mine...300+/- I think I remember reading somewhere on lone wolf that you're supposed to change the straps every 5 years regardless of use.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am

I helped Andrae proto-type the parts for the origanal belt climber. The belts are made out of a very durable type of material simalar to what they make timing belts out of... The very 1st belts were just the neoprene type material, but even though it would haul a truck up a hill, people were skeptical so Andrea made the belts clear and ran a bunch of steel cables thru them for the appearance of more strength. Proved to be a valuable addition as he had a couple customers accidentally cut the belts with limb saws and the cables saved them. Later he colored the belts grey, and I believe thats what most have now....
I know they tell you to replace the belts every five years, but truth is, they don't know how long they will last. After building the proto-type cams for andrae he gave me one of the proto-type stands. I think its the 1st one made cause there were only a couple at the time and the one he gave me was the one he was using. As soon as he made the steel cable belts he replaced mine with those, since that day the same belts have been on that stand and are still in great shape.
I would make a point of inspecting ALL my stands every year before hunting season. When it comes to looking at the belts look for cracks, cuts, or teeth damaged... If any are present replace it before using. Otherwise I would feel safe in the stand...
I think your far more likely to have an issue like I had with mine. When you climb, the belt puts pressure on the tubes it runs thru and after time of the belts pulling on the tubes over and over metal fatigue causes the metal to break... Its most likely to occur in the upper portion of the stand where the bars are supported less.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 pm

You guys are worried about your belts?
Check out this illegal stand I found on public land this weekend. If you look closely you can see the guy has the stand attached with nylon rope! :shock:
I don't think that is TMA approved!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

:shock:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I will replace mine when they show wear or defects. If they start to get chewed up or get knicked with a saw etc, they will get replaced, otherwise I will just keep inspecting them and using them.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Dewey wrote:You guys are worried about your belts?
Check out this illegal stand I found on public land this weekend. If you look closely you can see the guy has the stand attached with nylon rope! :shock:

Huh! wonder why he left it? :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Stanley wrote:

Huh! wonder why he left it? :lol:

Lmao!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I was on a budget guys! :lol:

I've had my OpenShot for about 3 years, and have about 200+ sits with less than 10miles. She's got some wear, but some paint and new back straps she's good to go...maybe a new seat...and new cables...I love it
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I have a TreeWalker, and a Sit and Climb. I hate the sit and climb believe it or not.

The TreeWalker is an amazing tree stand. I would be willing to say that it will last for ever. It has gussets welded on the box tubing in the exact place the tubes broke on Dans LW. Looks like they thought that one through, and pre acted on it.

The TreeWalker would not be condusive to, Beast style as it is not a silent set up, so you wouldn't be sneaking close to a bedded buck, but for all day rut sits, I wouldn't sit in anything else....including those armchair summits!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”