How many bow hunters kill a deer and never find it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How many bow hunters kill a deer and never find it?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am

Zap wrote:I believe that of ALL bowhunters, in a season close to 50% put an arrow thru a deer and do not find it.

How many of those die?

That would be hard to say.

I don't even think 50% of the bowhunters ever take a shot during an entire season.

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 am

wow :shock: 50%? are you talking about guys hunting a single deer or only trophy hunting?
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

dan wrote:
Zap wrote:I believe that of ALL bowhunters, in a season close to 50% put an arrow thru a deer and do not find it.

How many of those die?

That would be hard to say.

I don't even think 50% of the bowhunters ever take a shot during an entire season.

:?

That kills my theroy...
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 pm

i personally dont know anyone who hasnt lost one
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I would say that of the deer shot with bows and guns the non recovered rates would be about the same percentage wise. There would be more gun hunted deer un-recovered because there are a lot more deer shot with guns. Most bow hunters I know look harder for shot deer than the average gun hunter that does not bow hunt.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm

I've wounded 2 deer In 26 years of bow hunting, they both lived. Got plenty of proof for that. I'm sure my day Is coming with me loosing one that ends up dieing. I do believe there are far more deer wounded In today's world bow hunting then back In the day. Yes there's more bow hunters now but allot of these story's I hear I just cringe Inside because most were stupidity on the hunter. As soon as speed got Into compounds the wounding rate went up In my opinion. Bow hunting used to be and up and close hunting but pro shops preach to beginners like these things are a gun.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm

A deer can die from an arrow or gunshot wound ....long after the wound is sustained. If you wound an animal.......you really don't know if it ends up dying by your hands......or not.

I know a guy who wounded the first 6 deer he ever shot at. And heck, he writes about how to not lose them....lol. When I asked him about this sort of....conflict...he told me they all lived, because he didn't find them.

Can you understand why I cited 10%?
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:34 pm

JV NC wrote:A deer can die from an arrow or gunshot wound ....long after the wound is sustained. If you wound an animal.......you really don't know if it ends up dying by your hands......or not.

I know a guy who wounded the first 6 deer he ever shot at. And heck, he writes about how to not lose them....lol. When I asked him about this sort of....conflict...he told me they all lived, because he didn't find them.

Can you understand why I cited 10%?

Yes I can.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm

If you have never lost or wounded an animal with archery equipment, you will.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 am

Ive lost one with each weapon in 18 years
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 am

Stanley wrote:If you have never lost or wounded an animal with archery equipment, you will.

Yes I agree. If you say you have never lost a deer you are either not telling the truth or haven't hunted very long or much!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 am

Yes I agree. If you say you have never lost a deer you are either not telling the truth or haven't hunted very long or much!

Now I'll say what I usually do when this subject comes up....lol.

You have 4 categories of hunters:

1. Those who will admit they have or most likely have lost an animal.
2. Those who haven't been hunting long enough to lose an animal.
3. Those who haven't taken enough game....or, been presented sufficient opportuniites to lose an animal.
4. Liars.
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 am

JV NC wrote:

3. Those who haven't taken enough game....or, been presented sufficient opportuniites to lose an animal.
4. Liars.

#4 represents more than just hunters. Everyone lies :liar: about something or another.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:16 am

JV NC wrote:

4. Liars.

I agree...
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 am

My introduction to archery was a rather rude one. The first buck I hit (30 yard broadhside) and tracked for aroud 1.5 miles. I did not see the hit (I was too worked up during the shot), but I believe that it was a muscle hit in the shoulder based on the blood and the lack of penetration out of my 70# bow. Once he exited a standing corn field and ran across a cut bean field I lost track of him. He didn't die from the initial hit.

The second buck that I had the opportunity at was a 30 yard shot quartering away. I saw my arrow and hit him where I wanted to. I saw the buck walking along around 400-500 yards later limping on his fore leg. The only thing that I can come up with is that I hit him a little high and caught his shoulder blade or my over-the-top expandable deflected on a rib into his shoulder and never entered his chest cavity. I followed a few specks of blood over the next 100 yards (500 yard from the shot) and never found any more sign of him.

After a few dead deer, I unfortunately wounded another nice buck. I had a 25 yard broadside shot right at dark. I did not see my arrow (I have very poor, contact corrected vision). I retrieved my arrow after the pass through only to find greasy fat on the back 1/3 of my arrow. Based on the buck's reaction and the blood (good red blood like a flesh wound that quickly trailed off) I believe that I hit this buck in the brisket.

After a few days of searching by myself or with buddies, I am pretty sure that none of the wounded bucks died from the intial hit. I have since killed 5-6 deer with my bow (no more wounded deer, knock on wood). But my negative experiences really had me depressed for a while and looking for answers. I have since added lighted nocks, Anchor Sight to replace my peep, and fixed blade broadheads.
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”