How often do you find a mature buck bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

How often do you find a mature buck bed?

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm

here's a question for you guys....how many days, outings, years does it usually take you to find a mature buck bed (3yo+)? on average. I'm talking a primary buck bed that gets used regularly, something that just gets your blood boiling......something similar to Dan's obsession buck. I've found maybe 4 or 5 over the last few years. Some on public, some private.

When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Re: How often do you find a mature buck bed?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:59 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:here's a question for you guys....how many days, outings, years does it usually take you to find a mature buck bed (3yo+)? on average. I'm talking a primary buck bed that gets used regularly, something that just gets your blood boiling......something similar to Dan's obsession buck. I've found maybe 4 or 5 over the last few years. Some on public, some private.

not long ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:19 am

I can think of about 4 or 5 also. Ones that got me all fired up. Guess that's about 1.5 per year average. I,ve found many others that I, m just not sure either way if they were mature or not. For all I know some that I wrote off as immature buck beds coulda been home to a slob.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 am

its a lot A LOT of work in my area. I have general ideas before putting boot tracks down.

the ones I do have are very remotes and hard to get to... since I started hunting this way I have 3-4 and Ive only hunted 2 of them... 1 of them I bumped the target buck when getting to close. I havent been back to either spot.... yet.

I spent the majority of my season hunting MD sika deer.

the big buck I missed was a rut hunt, not a bed hunt.

Ive got cams and need to do some scouting this weekend and I plan to sit the other 2 beds, the 1 I bumped and find more for next season very soon.

my work schedule makes it tough to hunt some of these spots...
You can't kill em on the couch
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 am

I probably find on average 2 mature buck beds per year. Unless you actually see the buck or catch it on camera it is hard to confirm it is indeed a mature buck. If I just went by tracks and and size of a bed or large rubs I would say I find more but never had a confirmed sighting.

I must say it seems like it is getting harder and harder the last few years to find new ones with the deer population being way down. I have been hunting alot of beds I found in past years that other bucks have moved into and took over.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:40 am

I usually find 1-2 a year that I get super exited about, I do find dozens of other beds that hold potential but I just am not sure on for one reason or another.

About half the time I will find a bucks core area but can't pinpoint the exact bed, most often I find a small area of the swamp with 10-20+ beds with great sign all around. Still plenty to be excited about there but it can be harder to hunt when you can't pinpoint the exact bed. I think in these areas the buck will bed in the same 1-2 acre area but the exact bed might be determined by the wind.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:34 am

Never.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Swampthing wrote: I,ve found many others that I, m just not sure either way if they were mature or not. For all I know some that I wrote off as immature buck beds coulda been home to a slob.

yeah same with me

Dewey wrote: If I just went by tracks and and size of a bed or large rubs I would say I find more but never had a confirmed sighting.

That has generally been my criteria. Find a bed with big tracks, big droppings, or big rubs somewhere that point to that bed. I would count that as a winner.

I plan on scouting some more public areas like a madman this winter that I know hold good deer.....just wondered how often you avid swampers found a legit big buck bed, thanks for the responses guys. What is everyones plans for scouting this winter?? satisfied or hungry for more spots?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:07 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
Swampthing wrote: I,ve found many others that I, m just not sure either way if they were mature or not. For all I know some that I wrote off as immature buck beds coulda been home to a slob.

yeah same with me

Dewey wrote: If I just went by tracks and and size of a bed or large rubs I would say I find more but never had a confirmed sighting.

What is everyones plans for scouting this winter?? satisfied or hungry for more spots?

I never stop looking for new spots. As soon as late bow season is closed I will be scouting like a madman!! :lol:

Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 pm

I'd like to see photos of your guys' scouted beds this spring... ;)
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Dewey wrote:I never stop looking for new spots. As soon as late bow season is closed I will be scouting like a madman!! :lol:

let me know if you ever want some company scouting a new area, or want to come along with a fellow beast :idea: ...I would love to bounce ideas off a madman swamper such as yourself!

jack_4mn wrote:I'd like to see photos of your guys' scouted beds this spring... ;)

always have my camera along :)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
Dewey wrote:I never stop looking for new spots. As soon as late bow season is closed I will be scouting like a madman!! :lol:

let me know if you ever want some company scouting a new area, or want to come along with a fellow beast :idea: ...I would love to bounce ideas off a madman swamper such as yourself!

Sometimes I think you have to be a madman to want to hunt some parts of a swamp!! :lol: One of these years I will probably be swallowed up by a bottomless cattail bog!! :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”