Anyone running custom made ice fishing rods?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Anyone running custom made ice fishing rods?

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I switched to exclusively using these back in 2007, and never looked back. I hate to mention names because it sounds like I am paid which I am not by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure its similar to when we talk lone wolf treestands, predator camo etc. These are some of my babies, these all come from a custom rod maker in Michigan, Gregg Austin. They are actually cheaper than a lot of mass produced rods, and these are all made to specs that you pick. Anyways, I just wanted to see what everyone else is using, I figure even if the fish areant biting you feel better with a work of art in your hands, kind of like my bow when the deer movement is slow :mrgreen:

Most of these are panfish rods, but have taken care of the occasional walleye and bass. They are all ultra lights except the walleye rod, its a medium light which is plenty for even pike through the ice unless your targeting monsters. Some of these are fiberglass, all of the elite series are graphite and feel like a grenade going off when you get a bite. I tight line on some and added spring bobbers to a few, the ones that I use small spoons or larger jigs I generally tightline with.

The benefits so far that I have found is you pick exactly what you want, fast tip, fast action, full flex, etc, more line guides (and higher qaulity) so you have better control and better hooksets, and they don't freeze up as fast. They seem to fit your hand better, and the are personalized. Anyways, hopefully I didn't sound like a salesman because I am just reviewing a product that I personally use.

a pair of elite series w/reel seats, one with a spring bobber

reel seats on the elites

Spring bobber set up

walleye rod

A pair of elite series with graphite, the most sensitive flexible rod I have ever seen or used, (I am responsible for the stain on the cork)

same rod

This is just a signature series rod, I love it for perch or with dropper rigs

ompaathao

Re: Anyone running custom made ice fishing rods?

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Ive got a shallow water ice fishing set up.. When I get the pics taken I will post up some pics

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Almost every rod I own is custom, EXCEPT my ice fishing rods.

I'm lucky, as one of my best friends since grade school is an awesome custom rod builder. He does incredible work. He's an expert at winding, and his rods are all awesome. I get to try all the prototypes. :mrgreen:

I'll have to get him to make me an ice rod now. :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I would love to have a nice custom made crappie ice fishing rod!!
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 pm

I actually just put in an order for a custom rod for my son. Hope it gets here for xmas. st croix blank with a butternut handle. Got his name laser etched in it, and some thread art. He is going to love it. I use st croix legends, A bit spendy for an ice rod but I like them alot. I met a sales rep for them a few years ago and I got a smokin deal on 4 of them.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 am

those look like nice rods brad...im in the market for a new one..
i have been using unique rods for the past couple years..i went to college up in bemidji minnesota and while i was there i worked at northland fishing tackle...well they have a rod they make called the trick stick. there is one particular trick stick that i dont think they sell anywhere or northland even still has them made, they are 30" med heavy. although the action on them is more like medium. they are a little stiff for perch but perfect for walleye and big trout. i broke 1 so now im down to 1 left. also they are perfect for using bigger jigging raps which is pretty much exclusively what i use...7s and 9s...and if your rod is too flimsy, the jigging raps are hard to fish right. so i like a fairly stout rod that is at least 30 inches..i will have to look into those customs. i was going to go with the jason mitchel, but i will look into these ones now
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:19 am

I am not sure of his website, but his name is Gregg Austin. Dont buy any from Lobybaits, I would go directly through Gregg. If you can dream it, he can build it.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 am

ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:17 am

Shallow water ice fishing... Pretty much less than 10 ft of water... I set up 2 tip downs... And I jig with this 48 inch ice rod... I also have a 32 inch ice rod similar to this one with a softer back bone... Attached is a killer spoon I love to use for panfish...

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Do you ever have any trouble with freeze ups with the line going through the tube like that?
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 am

No because when you fish shallow like that you don't reel in any line.. Most of the freezing occurs only on the line and that's way passed the spring bobber .. We uasually just slide our two fingers down the line to break the ice loose.. Then once back in the water the ice comes off... Hope this helps...

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Ok gotcha, makes sense in shallow water for sure. I mostly fish in 14 foot or deeper so it wouldn't work to well for me. Where did you get them made at, they would be awesome for shallow water fish!
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 am

I get it from a friend who lives in the Wisconsin Rapids area.. There's a shop there that makes them and sells them for $35.... I fish a lot of shallow lakes and backwaters of WI river... Even as shallow as 3 ft of water.. With these ice rods I can usually hookset and yank the fish out of the whole a lot faster.. Did used to do a lot of deep water fishing ( Petenwell, Druid, Castle Rock, Wind... Etc) but since most ice fishing we do is for crappies ( family favorite fish ).. Learned this new style.. And never looked back.. My spinning ice rods have been sitting at home collecting dust for 3 years now.. Let me know if you would like more info on the ice rods... I could get you a # to call

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”