ice up

• Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

ice up

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:15 am

getting pumped!!!! got the jiffy out yesterday and fired her up...the humminbird is charging, my tipups are rigged and my house is ready to go.....all we need now is ice!!! should be here within two weeks if the temps start dropping...anyone else excited!!?

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Brad

Re: ice up

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 am

I am ready to go, I have both of my bucks down so I just want my wife and dad to get one, and then its icefishing time! I started the strikemaster 3 weeks ago and in the next week or two will be getting my reels respooled.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:17 am

me to ill be out there before christmas agin 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:22 am

I'm with ya guys.
Got the StrikeMaster down yesterday and will be sharpening the spears up to day. A little fresh paint, buy the Lic.'s and we're ready to go. Just need a few cold days w/o wind and the lakes should be hard.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 am

i just looked at the forecast..if the wind isnt too terrible over the weekend, we should be locked up here inland by early next week. usually takes a few more weeks for bay de noc to freeze and who knows about green bay..last year she was locked up pretty good by january.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 am

I've been messing with ice stuff for the last couple of days. Picked up some new gear on sunday. My favorite being a 38" Med action jason mitchell walleye rod.

Right now I am working on rod holders for the new auto hook set rigs I just made.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 am

Arrowbender wrote:I'm with ya guys.
Got the StrikeMaster down yesterday and will be sharpening the spears up to day. A little fresh paint, buy the Lic.'s and we're ready to go. Just need a few cold days w/o wind and the lakes should be hard.

Where you spearing arrowbender? What part of the state? I love spearing! I would like to try an AQUAVIEW down the hole this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 am

Hilts wrote:I've been messing with ice stuff for the last couple of days. Picked up some new gear on sunday. My favorite being a 38" Med action jason mitchell walleye rod.

Right now I am working on rod holders for the new auto hook set rigs I just made.

ooooh...i envy you....that rod is on my wish list :D
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 am

Swampthing wrote:
Arrowbender wrote:I'm with ya guys.

Where you spearing arrowbender? What part of the state? I love spearing! I would like to try an AQUAVIEW down the hole this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

when i was going to school in bemidji, a kid in my class speared an 18" perch on lake bemidji..he thought it was a walleye...which is also illegal but i guess alot of guys do it up there..i saw the picture of the perch..it was scary
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 am

swamp-assassin wrote:
Hilts wrote:I've been messing with ice stuff for the last couple of days. Picked up some new gear on sunday. My favorite being a 38" Med action jason mitchell walleye rod.

i only tip up fish .......i dont jigg unless i know the fish are there
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 am

BigHunt wrote:
swamp-assassin wrote:

i only tip up fish .......i dont jigg unless i know the fish are there

im a tipup fishing fool big hunt :D ...rockin the beaver dams all night! thats how i learned to catch walleyes. nothing in this world beats looking out and seeing that flag reaching for the sky!! ..just in the last few years have i started to jig...jigging raps seem to be the hot item for me. now that i am back in wisconsin i fish below a dam too and tipups just dont produce there...but my tipups are always ready to rock...ill pm you some crazy tipup stories from back in the day when i was not concerned with following the rules :lol: :oops: :?
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 am

The only way we fished for walleyes when I was growing up was tip-ups. I watched quite a few guys outfish us though jigging for them with electronics of course. Since I moved north I spend most of my time on the big lake fishing mostly trout and salmon with the occasional walleye/whitefish/northern/eelpout mixed in.

The reason I made the auto hook set rigs is because tip-ups don't work well for trout and salmon especially. You get a lot of run and drops with them. Plus it is way more fun fighting those fish on a rod than hand over handing it. I think they would be a blast on a good northern lake too.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 am

I have 4 or 5 beaver dams that I am thinking about getting rid of. Would anyone be interested if I do get rid of them?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:01 am

swamp-assassin wrote:
swamp-assassin wrote:

im a tipup fishing fool big hunt :D ...rockin the beaver dams all night! thats how i learned to catch walleyes. nothing in this world beats looking out and seeing that flag reaching for the sky!! ..just in the last few years have i started to jig...jigging raps seem to be the hot item for me. now that i am back in wisconsin i fish below a dam too and tipups just dont produce there...but my tipups are always ready to rock...ill pm you some crazy tipup stories from back in the day when i was not concerned with following the rules :lol: :oops: :?

ya brother rock on ............looks like we have somthing in coman dude we should get together and fish this winter...

hey lets here those storys
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Swamp, I spear mostly in the central part of the state, get north a few times. If you want to hook up some time let me know. Hopefully will be starting soon. I am STOKED !

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”