It worked!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

It worked!!!

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Last year I was slipping into a new area in one of my spots, all of the sudden 60 yards in front of me, this big old dark racked buck errupts out of his bed and takes of running :x . I decided to pump up right there and sit till dark. I had six smaller bucks come out from a different area and walk right by my at last light.

The buck was beded right on the edge of a small patch of swamp and hardwoods, right on the transition.

Fast forward to this season. I decide to slip in to the same spot quietly and get close to that bedding area, I found fresh rubs and scrape on the walk in, so I immidiately think that I should set up right there and not go any further. No climable trees. :( so I start slipping in a little closer looking for a tree and boom, up jumps a good buck and he takes of running using the same escape route, but I believe it was not the same buck as last year, this buck had a much lighter rack and wasnt as big.

So I have one bed, two different bucks, on two different winds, (wind not in his favor the second time), using the same bed a year a part. Now we know that history repeats itself with good bedding.

Fast forward to today. I slip in the wood. LW and sticks on back, I knew exactly how far I should go as to not push the envelope. Fresh sign that wasnt there last week. I got as close as i felt comfortable, still hunting the whole way in, going real slow and watching for tails the whole time. I put on the first stick, then the second, when I got up to that height I felt any higher and I would be exposing myself to the base of the draw where the bed was. I was only 9 or 10 feet up but it would do.

At about 4:10 I watched a buck stand up out of the bed 110 yards away. He was making his way towards me so I brought up the binoc's and glassed him. Not a huge buck, but a nice 2.5 year old 16" wide six pointer with brows.This is a buck I would normaly pass, but after how this year has been going,i f he got within bow range he was a dead man.

He came by just out of bow range and I didnt have a shot.

This was my first true beast style hunt, where I set up on known bedding. I had never actually seen the bed itself, but I knew its aproximate location based on the two previous bucks I saw, I found the fresh hot sign, put it all together, and it worked. I think I got more satisfaction out of putting myself in front of that buck, than I would have if I actually killed him just sitting in the woods hoping a deer would come by.

I cant wait to get out there this post season and find as much bedding as possible. Tonite was an eye opener for me. Obviosusly the tactics work.....just look at Dans wall. But now I know I can take these tactics and apply them to my hunting, and do it with coinfidence. :D

Thanks to all for everything you guys have tought me. It all came together tonite....even though I didnt kill anything.

Brad

Re: It worked!!!

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Sounds like an awesome hunt, and being that close but not quite sealing the deal will have you hooked for life. You will get them next time, but now you have even more confidence in the "beast" style of hunting! Good luck!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Congrats Man!
That is a cool feeling. What I find in Hill country though is that those beds are NOT etched in stone and it is very difficult to determine where the "envelope" is. All of a sudden you DO see tails and then the hunt can be F'd.
I am somewhat surprised that at this time of year the bucks are still using legacy bedding. That area will be a fun one come Sep !!!
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Congrats Man!
That is a cool feeling. What I find in Hill country though is that those beds are NOT etched in stone and it is very difficult to determine where the "envelope" is. All of a sudden you DO see tails and then the hunt can be F'd.
I am somewhat surprised that at this time of year the bucks are still using legacy bedding. That area will be a fun one come Sep !!!

Yea you would think its late to be using traditional bedding, but as far as most guys in my area are concerned....the rut hasnt started yet. No one is seeing any chasing besides the occoasional sighting. There has been no seeking, chasing or much rut activity at all. Its been the wierdest year of my hunting career. Guys were killing bucks in late october still in the summer patterns. Very Strange.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 pm

What a cool hunt! Your hard work is starting to payoff!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 pm

8-)
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:49 pm

man thats awesome!!!! i cant wait until i have that experience!!! im probably at the point where you were before this encounter in that i know the tactics but havent been able to do spring scouting or make them work yet...so its kinda like "is this really going to work?" and your right...i just keep thinking back to dans wall and think.." dans wall doesnt lie..i just need to work hard at it!"
good for you
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Sounds like you had a good hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks, I know of one other bedding area that always holds the biggest bucks. I've seen mmultiple popers use this bed in the late season in December. When the pressure is on all of the bigger bucks herd into this one location. I should have a similar encounter or even score here. We will see in december!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm

That's awesome! Good luck man!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:03 am

8-) Nice to get one of those spots under your belt!
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:11 am

Nice work! Awesome when a plan comes together! more incentive for spring scouting.
go DEEP or go HOME
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Love it, love it, love it...... I love when things just start clicking. Way to go man!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”