the whole story behind the buck I just shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rack addict
500 Club

the whole story behind the buck I just shot

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm

First off I would like to start off a couple of months ago. I was reading through some threads and one of the beasts said how much success they had hunting inside corners. October 7, 2011 I was just chattin with a guy that comes into my work about hunting he says come on out I have 40 acres that nobody hunts until gun season. I immediately contacted him and he showed me the property. Were cruising along and boom that thread comes to mind and look what we got here a beautiful inside corner with a nice ridge running through it loaded with acorns and a couple of rubs already. As soon as I got home I uploaded the property and asked for suggestions. A few guys thought it looked like a great rut funnel and said they would wait to hunt it until later in the season. I hunted the stand that I setup only about 4 times during good moon phases (something else I learned on here) only seeing a doe or two here and there.

November 12, 2011 I thought all day about what can I do to make something happen. So before I leave for my hunt I grab my set of rattling antlers thinking what the heck I got nothing to lose. 3:00 pm I pull up in the driveway and talk to the landowner for a few minutes. He says he's been seeing a bunch of smaller bucks cruisin the property. I say well thats cool maybe I'll see some antlers tonight. As Im gettin dressed I realize I'm going to be fighting a couple of things 1. Its 15-20 mph winds, and 2. everybody and there brother is sighting in there gun.

I get to my stand for my 5th sit of the season, hadn't stepped on the property in a couple of weeks. 4:00 I do a couple of grunts and bang the antlers together for about 30 seconds. Nothing!
I patiently wait...I check my clock its 5:00 I think to myself this is about the same time I shot my buck last week. I grab the antlers do a couple of grunts and mash them together. I rattled for about 10 seconds and see a flash. I stop all I can see is a body about 50 yards out in the swamp. I think to myself its probably a dink, he's comin in on a string lookin for a fight! I go ohhh he's pretty nice. I slowly stand up and hook the release to the d loop. He's coming in fast I pull my bow back let out a mrrrr! He stops! I settle my pin for a 13 yard shot. WHACK! the arrow blows through! He takes a few bounds and stops, he just stands there only moving his head. 10 minutes go by he's still just standing there. At this point I begin to doubt the shot but I have no clear shot at him and he's only about 45 yards out. He try's to take a couple of steps and he cant hardly move, 20 minutes later Im a wreck at this point Im so pumped up and unsure of whats going on I feel like Im going to puke. Finally after about 25 minutes he finally goes down. YES!! Finally a huge sigh of relief. My best buck ever!!! If it wasnt for reading that thread I dont know if that would have been where I would have setup. I get him loaded up and see the landowner on the way out. He's had the property for 15 years and its the biggest buck thats ever been shot on his property. I honestly believe that this site is helping me to evolve as a hunter. Thank you hunting beasts!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl4OGgzCzs[/bbvideo]
NO VOLUME ON THE VID LOST THE MIC LAST WEEK
Last edited by rack addict on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edcyclopedia

Re: the whole story behind the buck I just shot

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Great story - thanks for sharing.
Cool Vid also :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Congrats again! Enjoyed the full story.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:32 am

Cool, nice plan.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 am

Congrats, great story. Where did the arrow hit him?
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 am

UntouchableNess wrote:Congrats, great story. Where did the arrow hit him?

When I pulled the guts I didnt even think about looking to see exactly what I took out. I was so pumped up and couldnt wait to go show him off. The arrow went in a couple of inches behind the shoulder and came out about 2 inches below where the white and the brown meet.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 am

rack addict wrote:
UntouchableNess wrote:Congrats, great story. Where did the arrow hit him?

When I pulled the guts I didnt even think about looking to see exactly what I took out. I was so pumped up and couldnt wait to go show him off. The arrow went in a couple of inches behind the shoulder and came out about 2 inches below where the white and the brown meet.

Just curious as I like to learn how deer react to different hits. I've seen liver shot deer do what you said, just stand there. Also saw a femoral artery severed buck stand there. Maybe it's more an indication of bleeding out/low blood pressure.

Congrats again.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:24 am

Great job.

What camera are you using?
You can't kill em on the couch
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:27 am

Nice! I like how those legs are just swamp black when he comes in.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 am

Brandon wrote:Great job.

What camera are you using?

Roscoby riser cam. Its alright but they went out of business. Im going to get the drift action camera for next season. There small and light so Im going to make a rig to mount it right to my stabalizer. They have a remote that you can wear on your wrist which is a big plus.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:42 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Nice! I like how those legs are just swamp black when he comes in.

For sure!!! both bucks I shot this season had the black legs.
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:13 am

Congrats on the nice buck and cool video!
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:23 am

congrats
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 am

Congratulations! !

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 pm

I am glad we got to hear the full story, what a nice buck and a great story as well! Congrats again!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”