Hunting the wind Q's for you guys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Hunting the wind Q's for you guys

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:50 pm

I was going to go in the morning (saturday), but it's going to be 15+ mph winds and to top it off a 15 degree increase in temp by noon. With this combination, I haven't had much luck at ALL, especially in KY where high winds aren't prominent. I can understand somewhere like Kansas, Oklahoma, and other plains states, where wind is pretty much a norm. What about you guys (not from plain states, you don't count) how has your luck favored in these conditions? Oh, and rifle season starts too :evil: (to other "hunters" this is so called deer season).

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Hunting the wind Q's for you guys

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:57 pm

My plan tommorow is to hunt a bedding area just off an island about 40 yards. Hopefully by being that close I see something before dark. That's about all I do in wind.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I have seen some of my best bucks in very windy conditions during the rut. Guess I would head to some thick bedding cover where the winds are much lighter. This time of the year the bucks will still move in the wind in these areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:45 am

Dewey wrote:I have seen some of my best bucks in very windy conditions during the rut. Guess I would head to some thick bedding cover where the winds are much lighter. This time of the year the bucks will still move in the wind in these areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2!!! And with the gun hunters bumping then around, you never know what might show up ;) Good Luck!!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:55 am

Usually I hope for the wind to be it's calmest at sunrise and sunset, focus on hunting at those times. High winds, middle of a warm day, the rut better be in full swing or it can get pretty boring.

I'll try to hunt valleys and draws inside timber on windy days.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:03 am

One place that I hunt is on 40acre field/woodline, and the woodline has a nice funnel. It's the worst sport to hunt because deer bed everywhere on this place, and they'll nail you coming in. I know one things for certain, I'm not going to see anything if I'm not in the woods with wind or now wind. I hate to put pressure on these deer when it's not neccessary and take the chance of the going completely nocternal. I think it's best to pick your days wisely.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”