what would you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

what would you do?

Unread postby Casper » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Scenario: hill country, north facing slope. The does and bucks bed on top thick points and two thick areas on the bottom. You get a lot of nice bucks on trail cam by the bottom bedding, but only with a south wind. Since it is on the bottom, the wind likes to swirl. Do you still sit that spot in November with a south wind?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
BigHunt

Re: what would you do?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:46 pm

i would still sit it and try to get as high as i can iin the thermal tunnles
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: what would you do?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Similar senario I just shot my buck in, but they bed on the south slope with a northwest wind. I sit on the north slope and wait for them to come thru the funnel at the top of the revine. If they see you setup then they may not come your way but if do they will not have the wind to there advatage as they cross to get to the north slope where they can reach the cut cornfield in my sitation anyway. I just never plan on seeing deer come down from the top of the north slope from above me. I was not higher in the tree then the top of the hill behind me but the thermals and wind took my scent right up the north slope and away from where the deer were bedded. I did have a small amout of swirling, but my milkweeds told me that my scent would never reach the funnel so I was fine with it. My tree is pretty low in the ravine and I was up about 18'. I seen three bucks in the first 45 minutes of being there yesterday. Never tried this spot before because I was afraid of the swirling, but I learned it doen't really hurt me for the tree I picked out. I may have just got lucky but I knew them bucks like to travel that ravine low for some reason. Hope this long wind make some sense. Good Luck to you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”