opinions on "when" to sit, during the rut ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

opinions on "when" to sit, during the rut ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:35 am

I would like to sit all day sits during the rut, but I've tried it, and can only handle about 2 days of that, and then my body and mind is shot.... So, I'm wondering what times of the day do you guys feel are the hottest times ? I'm thinking about not going early, just go out about 10:00 AM and sit till dark. I'm wondering if anyone tries to hunt early morning till 10:00, go home, and come back and sit 2:00 pm till dark ?

What do you guys like doing for sits ? I wish I could sit all day, but my back and my mind gets shot rather fast doing that..

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: opinions on "when" to sit, during the rut ?

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 am

You got your times mixed up... Late mornings from about 9am to noon is the hot time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 am

from what i understand the best time is from 9:00 to 12:00 ...or you could sit from 10:00 to dark .......

i sit all day though and yes it is realy hard on the body and mind
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:41 am

dan wrote:You got your times mixed up... Late mornings from about 9am to noon is the hot time.

seriously ? The times I have sat all day, I don't see anything during this time.... hmmmm, but maybe I should just go out at 9 then and sit all day.... I hunt hill country if that matters at all, but I was just curious as to what everyone else does ?
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:42 am

I like mornings more than evenings, it sucks getting up so early but its worth it. Im still young, so I have no problem sitting all day though. (I mainly hunt hill country with a little bit of marsh mixed in)
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:43 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
dan wrote:You got your times mixed up... Late mornings from about 9am to noon is the hot time.

seriously ? The times I have sat all day, I don't see anything during this time.... hmmmm, but maybe I should just go out at 9 then and sit all day.... I hunt hill country if that matters at all, but I was just curious as to what everyone else does ?

for hill counrty itr does matter more ..cause of the thermals ....they take affect just before or around the 9oclock ish time
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:48 am

dreaming bucks wrote:

My best rut action comes Late mornings from about 9am to noon... Seems to me the bucks wait till the does are bedded and then cruise the thermal tunnels to check on doe bedding areas.
In Hill country DVD remember the hunt where 3Dog misses the big 8 point? I think that was about 11AM or something right about then... The one he hit bad in the guts? That one was shot at about 9:30 / 10AM...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:50 am

ok Dan....

Do you feel it shuts off after that noon timeframe then ? until maybe an hour or so before dark ?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:52 am

I like to sit all day. Preferably an hour before daylight until just after dark. Makes for a long day. If I'm not sitting all day, I won't come out until noon unless I have to. From noon until around 3:30 seems like the deadist time in the deer woods.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:06 am

almost like clock work during the rut around 9:00 i start seeing the best movement. now this is in the bluffs of western wisconsin though. like dan said they are playing thermals.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 am

tim wrote:almost like clock work during the rut around 9:00 i start seeing the best movement. now this is in the bluffs of western wisconsin though. like dan said they are playing thermals.

X2 i also hunt west wisc
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 am

dreaming bucks wrote:ok Dan....

Do you feel it shuts off after that noon timeframe then ? until maybe an hour or so before dark ?

I feel like the movment is a lot less before and after those times
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 am

I hunt generally marsh or farmland and tend to see smaller bucks early, but when 9am comes the big boys start to show, 11am being one of my favorite hours. If I had to pick, I would say 2-5 are the slowest hours during the rut. However I have seen some pigs taken around 3:30
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:16 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:I hunt generally marsh or farmland and tend to see smaller bucks early, but when 9am comes the big boys start to show, 11am being one of my favorite hours. If I had to pick, I would say 2-5 are the slowest hours during the rut. However I have seen some pigs taken around 3:30

500 its close to dark ......i see good movemt here also
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:31 am

I would recommend that if you are going to be "set Up" for the 9:00 action you might as well get your a$$ in the stand before day break. I have seen enough "breaking light" action that I know I am not going to miss it.
But I do agree that 9 to noon is a great time when they are actively chasing to breed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”