Will Wild Pigs eat each other’s Carcass’s

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Will Wild Pigs eat each other’s Carcass’s

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 pm

I’ve heard from farmers that if you slaughter a pig infront of another, the other instantly thinks “food!”. Pigs are well known for eating bodys when you starve them. So will wild pigs look at the carcass a hunter leaves as food?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Will Wild Pigs eat each other’s Carcass’s

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm

buttonbuck wrote:I’ve heard from farmers that if you slaughter a pig infront of another, the other instantly thinks “food!”. Pigs are well known for eating bodys when you starve them. So will wild pigs look at the carcass a hunter leaves as food?

When shooting wild boars at a ranch in Michigan we had to protect the carcasses till the tractor came and git them or the other pigs would eat the dead ones. https://youtu.be/MVicvWq4Ifs
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 am

dan wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:I’ve heard from farmers that if you slaughter a pig infront of another, the other instantly thinks “food!”. Pigs are well known for eating bodys when you starve them. So will wild pigs look at the carcass a hunter leaves as food?

When shooting wild noars at a ranch in Michigan we had to protect the carcasses till the tractor came and git them or the other pigs would eat the dead ones.

Excellent information. Do you know how Boar dynamics work within the sounder? Is there a dominant Boar that sticks with a sounder? I’ve heard they are loaners, perhaps they only come around when the female goes into heat. I have pics of this boar with a female at night and alone in the day. Then I have pictures of what looks like 5-6 large pigs all together day and night, can’t tell their sex.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat May 15, 2021 12:42 am

Buddy at work used to raise large amounts of pigs. He said every week he’d go into the pens and find a pig missing parts due to the other pigs eating em alive. Said on several occasions that a pig would have a leg missing and be alive.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 am

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 am

yes
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:11 am

Yes.

In fact big boar hogs will actively hunt down and kill smaller boars and eat them. Have seen it myself and also stalked up on boar hogs in the wallow eating a smaller boar.

They will also kill and eat fawns.

I use to love hogs. Till one day a watched a pack of 150 to 200 pound boars running a buck in a clear cut. They ran him so hard he was spent and couldnt fight are run back.

I emptied my rifle into those pigs.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:42 am

Wasn’t enough for De Soto to defeat the Incans, he had to bring those dang pigs to the America’s
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:00 pm

I shot a pig that was eating corn from a feeder. Little while later some others came in and actually rolled the carcass over to get the corn under it. They didn't seem to want to eat the dead pig.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:19 pm

I know from working with pigs that if you don't get the injured ones out they can/will kill it. If it does in the pen they do chew on them. Pigs are very curious by nature. When you go in a pen to do chores they all run away then in about 30 seconds they will come to you and chew on your boots and pants legs lol.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:13 am

Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont. A lot of that has to do with the amount of food available in their area. If they have food constantly they tend to not eat one another. Rival boars will kill a sows pigs also if given the chance so he can breed her back.

On the hierarchy of boars. Big old boars are generally solitary and loners, but as sows come in heat they'll move sounder to sounder. You'll see younger boars group up together or even stay with a sounder of sows and pigs for extended periods of time. Bar hogs will also stay with a sounder of sows/pigs and become a member of their family group.

I think a big old boar is smarter than a big mature buck. We hunt them a lot with dogs here, and theres been several big boars over the years that have been a pain to kill, mostly because they will move miles at a time and the tricks they would pull on the dogs to escape were genius. One big hog in particular years ago, youd follow his tracks into a spot, dogs find him and bay for a minute or 2, but before you could get in there to shoot him he'd take off running. You'd find yourself bayed again in a couple hundred yards and you'd get slipped in there and it'd be sows and pigs.... that hog knew his area extremely well, and knew where every other group of hogs bedded, and would take the dogs to them so he could escape lol he done that for years and finally one day his escape route brought him to close and he got shot
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:49 am

I was at a friends house last night and he has 3 Great Dane dogs. We were talking about the breed and he mentioned that Great Danes were bred for boar hunting. I didn’t know that.

Any of you guys ever run with Great Danes to go after boars? If not, what dogs do you use?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 am

Chuck B wrote:I was at a friends house last night and he has 3 Great Dane dogs. We were talking about the breed and he mentioned that Great Danes were bred for boar hunting. I didn’t know that.

Any of you guys ever run with Great Danes to go after boars? If not, what dogs do you use?

I’d say Pits and Dogo’s seem to be the preferred breeds for ‘catch dogs’.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 am

Nice kill. I love how close you can get to em. So blind, so fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”