Will Wild Pigs eat each other’s Carcass’s

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Will Wild Pigs eat each other’s Carcass’s

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 am

buttonbuck wrote:

Nice kill. I love how close you can get to em. So blind, so fun.

I think those are fenced in pigs. Not real life wild hogs.

While it can be done it's not easy to get that close to wild hogs. Nor are they that easy going if you try to rope one are grab hold of it.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:56 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:

While it can be done it's not easy to get that close to wild hogs. Nor are they that easy going if you try to rope one are grab hold of it.

You are correct on all counts...
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 am

dan wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:

Several occasions ive gotten 15 yards from em before I shot em. It is situational but I find it pretty easy in the thick of the South to get danger close.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:17 am

buttonbuck wrote:
dan wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:

Several occasions ive gotten 15 yards from em before I shot em. It is situational but I find it pretty easy in the thick of the South to get danger close.

Yes I'm in the deep south myself.

Like I stated it can be done, just not as easily as Dan did in the vid.

Still was a cool vid and fun to watch Dan do his thing.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 am

I believe there’s curtain conditions that allow a hunter to slip in right on top of hogs. But they don’t come around often. Hogs are a crafty sucker. Way less curiosity than deer. They suspect danger and they are gone without stopping 30 yards later to look around. But they have a heck of an appetite. Hogs also don’t sweat, when the dog days of 100 degree summer kicks in it really limits where they can set up shop.

I believe a big boar (although rare) is prob his own worst enemy. He knows he has no predators and will often put himself in harms way just to show who runs the show around here.

Has become popular around here for some reason for folks to trap boars, cut their ears off, and let em loose. Suspect deer hunters tired of hounds ruining a hunt. Can only imagine what happens when a dog catches up to him and has nothing to grab on to. Bet it ain’t pretty.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Chuck B wrote:I was at a friends house last night and he has 3 Great Dane dogs. We were talking about the breed and he mentioned that Great Danes were bred for boar hunting. I didn’t know that.

Any of you guys ever run with Great Danes to go after boars? If not, what dogs do you use?

For catch dogs most use pit bulls, or american bullies. I cant stand a catch dog though...

Now for bay dogs, our best dogs were some we bred. It's hard to find a breed thatll do it all, the best we had was 1/4 laika, 1/4 bluetick, and 1/2 catahoula. He could wind a hog at a ridiculous distance and he'd be there bayed no matter how long it took ya to get there.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:57 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I believe there’s curtain conditions that allow a hunter to slip in right on top of hogs. But they don’t come around often. Hogs are a crafty sucker. Way less curiosity than deer. They suspect danger and they are gone without stopping 30 yards later to look around. But they have a heck of an appetite. Hogs also don’t sweat, when the dog days of 100 degree summer kicks in it really limits where they can set up shop.

I believe a big boar (although rare) is prob his own worst enemy. He knows he has no predators and will often put himself in harms way just to show who runs the show around here.

Has become popular around here for some reason for folks to trap boars, cut their ears off, and let em loose. Suspect deer hunters tired of hounds ruining a hunt. Can only imagine what happens when a dog catches up to him and has nothing to grab on to. Bet it ain’t pretty.

A lot of the "hog" hunters here are bad about castrating boars and turning back loose so they'll have a barr hog with big teeth in a couple years. On sows they'll cut ears off so another hog dogger can't catch um, easily anyways, so they can continue populating and giving them hogs to hunt. Problems with that is most of these guys are in private leases and hog hunt as a hobby, which theres nothing wrong with, but they have no regard for private land owners. Those hogs they turn loose will still impact their environment and cause destruction. Can't hog hunt on public here because of those people turning hogs loose and transporting them to new areas in the past so they'd have new hunting areas. And it's a good bit of the reason why AR is losing the battle on hogs and the population is exploding
cjr4497

Unread postby cjr4497 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:21 pm

Yes, real wild hogs will eat the carcass of a another hog, especially if it has been skinned. They will eat the deer you shot. Happened to me. I caught them in the act. They got a chunk of the back strap and some of the guts. They hunt fawns. They are not good to have around. We are overrun with them on the public land we have a camp on. We kill 20 or so a year while deer and small game hunting.

They are not that hard to stalk in the right conditions. All you need is the wind in your favor and soft ground to walk on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”