Hog Bedding

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Hog Bedding

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:02 am

I live in NW Georgia where the big population is growing. The areas I hunt are hills and valleys with pine trees on the tops of ridges and hardwoods closer to the streams and valleys. Most of the places I have found hog beds is higher up on the ridges, in thick cover. As I am learning how to better hunt them I have a few questions.

1. For those more experienced than me, do you ever find "primary" bedding for hogs in areas like this? I know hogs are more nomadic than deer, but wondering if they still have their favorite spots.

2. Is bedding more elevation based, or does it have more to do with where the best cover is?

3. How have you seen bedding change with the seasons?

Thanks in advance!

PublicLand

Re: Hog Bedding

Unread postby PublicLand » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 pm

Had some "cliffs" I used to hunt. That's where they spent the day
Trust your instincts
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:41 pm

HunterBob wrote:I live in NW Georgia where the big population is growing. The areas I hunt are hills and valleys with pine trees on the tops of ridges and hardwoods closer to the streams and valleys. Most of the places I have found hog beds is higher up on the ridges, in thick cover. As I am learning how to better hunt them I have a few questions.

1. For those more experienced than me, do you ever find "primary" bedding for hogs in areas like this? I know hogs are more nomadic than deer, but wondering if they still have their favorite spots.

2. Is bedding more elevation based, or does it have more to do with where the best cover is?

Thanks in advance!

Ill be chasing em April 1 till September. I have exclusively found them bedded so far and its always on top a ridge in the thick or top 1/3. Haven’t found em on move yet, just bedded
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:46 pm

HunterBob wrote:I live in NW Georgia where the big population is growing. The areas I hunt are hills and valleys with pine trees on the tops of ridges and hardwoods closer to the streams and valleys. Most of the places I have found hog beds is higher up on the ridges, in thick cover. As I am learning how to better hunt them I have a few questions.

Thanks in advance!

I find bedding that they come back to year after year, but they are certainly nomadic. The good thing is you can usually tell if they are in the bedding or not pretty easily. Via the sign.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:49 am

Thanks in advance!

One technique that is useful is to stop and listen for shuffling leaves, I’ve heard em moving around from over a 100 yards before. Check for the freshest sign in the creek then move up to the corresponding ridge systems. I’ve walked right into their bedding at about 30-40 yards and bumped em up, I just froze and they started feeding lol. If your down wind and its thicker stuff, you can get in there face throwing arrows at em and until you hit one and it screams they are clueless.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:18 am

Ahawk116 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I find bedding that they come back to year after year, but they are certainly nomadic. The good thing is you can usually tell if they are in the bedding or not pretty easily. Via the sign.

^
This guy chases hogs in lightning storms.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:54 am

buttonbuck wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

^

Hahaha he showed up to my house after the last storm with a pile of dead pigs. I thought he was crazy but he’s always on them.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 am

Facts. If you want to find them feeding get out there when you think to yourself. Why in world am I doing this?!?

They feed heavily in the rain.

Bowhuntercoop wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

^

Hahaha he showed up to my house after the last storm with a pile of dead pigs. I thought he was crazy but he’s always on them.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:05 am

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm getting better at finding them, maybe I need to get out in a storm next time. Appreciate all the help as I'm hoping to get on them more outside of deer season.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:08 am

HunterBob wrote:Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm getting better at finding them, maybe I need to get out in a storm next time. Appreciate all the help as I'm hoping to get on them more outside of deer season.

That’s the only thing I feel like I have figured out with pigs. If you find fresh feeding sign near bedding be there when it rains.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 am

Ahawk116 wrote:Facts. If you want to find them feeding get out there when you think to yourself. Why in world am I doing this?!?

They feed heavily in the rain.

Bowhuntercoop wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

^

Just curious to hear a bit more about this. Do you find they move on the fronts of a storm, during the storm, or after the storm the most. Also, what weapon are you using? I have shotgun I would like to use, but it is very old, hard to disassemble, which would mean that cleaning it after getting it soaked might be a pain.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 pm

I find them in the middle of driving rain most frequently. Afterwards is good as well while everything is soaking wet. My guess is they are feeding on night crawlers that get pushed up by the wet ground, but that’s purely a guess.

I typically hunt them with a bow, so I have less problems with breaking it down afterwards...aka I usually don’t I just put it in inside so it dries off afterwards.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu May 27, 2021 10:44 pm

Awesome, I mostly bow hunt as well. Probably the best option in the rain anyway since I'm sure you have to get close in the rain to see them

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”