Deer hunt turned hog hunt

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jesse Miller

Deer hunt turned hog hunt

Unread postby Jesse Miller » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:36 am

IMG_20200925_201202147.jpg
I went to a large piece of public land for an archery hunt this weekend. I was hunting primarily for deer but there's a lot of hogs in the area. Saw a group of about six small hogs on the way in but couldn't get a good shot. After about 30 minutes in the stand a sow came in to about 12 yds behind me. I waited for a perfect broadside shot and the close leg forward and stuck an arrow through the heart and into the mud on the other side. She went about 30 yds and crashed. A little before dark I saw a huge pig about 60 yds in front of me. I considered getting out of my stand and stalking it but decided to wait for a deer. With darkness closing in, and several pigs still feeding on acorns, I slipped out of my stand and walked towards them. One was in front of me and another one to my right. I stuck an arrow through the one in front of me and he squealed and ran in the brush and crashed
After about a minute I realized the one to my right was still feeding at about 10 yds. I didn't want to waste another good broadhead so I grabbed an arrow with a two inche expandable flapper. I burried it to the opposite shoulder and she went about 20 yds and was down. The first one weighed 193 lbs., the second was a small boar maybe 80 lbs, and the last one was probably at least 250. I had over half a mile to the truck and much of it was through water. We were about wore out getting the first one out with the help of two hunting buddies.
IMG_20200925_211639184.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Now therefore take, I pray thee,thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. Genesis 27:3
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Deer hunt turned hog hunt

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:48 am

Congrats sir.
bigtee

Unread postby bigtee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:49 am

Nice job. I just mounted one of these predator hunting lights to my deer blind for exactly that. Hogs used to come during the middle of the day but now they are coming right after the sun goes down, so I just started staying at the deer blind a little longer to get the most out of my hunt. It sure is a fun time to shoot hogs!

i'm trying to post a photo of the setup but can't figure it out.
Grayson Everett
Facebook: grayson.everett

Unread postby Grayson Everett » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 pm

Great job.
Grayson Everett
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am

Congrats. I look forward to getting a chance to stick a hog. Some day I'll get down south.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”