Day 1 and gettin em

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Day 1 and gettin em

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Made my way into the wind with my compound bow right after work. An hour before sundown I bumped a sounder of the ridge but they just ran 30 yards and started feeding. I pursued and got within 20 yards several times taking several shots. I ran out of arrows hitting sticks and brush and had to start collecting them and keep shooting lol. Finally hit a big one at 20 yards but the blood trail sucked and it was dark 10 min after I shot so I headed out. Freakin fun man.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Day 1 and gettin em

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Hog hunting is on my bucket list. Nice job!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:52 am

What's a sounder?

I used to hunt hogs and we had boars and sows. A 20 yd shot is about as good as it gets - put it behind the shoulder and it'll be dead inside of 50 yards.

I've shot 15 or so with a bow and when you dbl lung em, they don't go far. Most I shot were less than 100#. My biggest boar was the size of a pickup tailgate - couldn't lift it so went and got a ladder off a ladder stand and rolled that sucker up and into the truck to take it to a cleaning station. Haven't hunted pigs since 1999 or 2000.

You'll do yourself a great favor if you spread some bait - if legal.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:58 am

Rich M wrote:What's a sounder?

I used to hunt hogs and we had boars and sows. A 20 yd shot is about as good as it gets - put it behind the shoulder and it'll be dead inside of 50 yards.

I've shot 15 or so with a bow and when you dbl lung em, they don't go far. Most I shot were less than 100#. My biggest boar was the size of a pickup tailgate - couldn't lift it so went and got a ladder off a ladder stand and rolled that sucker up and into the truck to take it to a cleaning station. Haven't hunted pigs since 1999 or 2000.

You'll do yourself a great favor if you spread some bait - if legal.

"Sounder" is a term to describe a group of hogs. Like you say a pack of dogs, its a sounder of hogs.

Bait is not legal. I just bring a game bag with me, open em up from the back and cut the meat off. I wont gut them because of Swine Brucellosis. Its in their reproductive tract and guts. Several people from my area have died from it and if you bring it home to your dogs its a 100% fatality rate for them.

I wont drag many animals out any more. I seen Warren Womack do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOFaAAghRq8 and adapted it. Way easier.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks, I've learned a new term.

Used to use rope and a tree limb or skinning rack, haul em up head first and skin em from the back side, remove straps and quarters.

We always pressure cooked em and never had a tough meal.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:19 am

Rich M wrote:Thanks, I've learned a new term.

Used to use rope and a tree limb or skinning rack, haul em up head first and skin em from the back side, remove straps and quarters.

We always pressure cooked em and never had a tough meal.

I've exclusively pressure cooked em, so good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”