Hog knowledge needed.

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Hog knowledge needed.

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 am

Got a ton of hogs on a farmers land. Theres a few 30acre plus blocks of timber on it with drainages. I dont know alot about pigs, any good videos on patterning (if you can) and hunting them? Can I scout bedding and use that to hunt hot sign or should I be concentrating on night hunting them. Im also torn between my desire to hunt them during daylight hours and the possibility that may not be in the farmers best interest. Ive heard you need to eliminate the sounder in one shot.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Hog knowledge needed.

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 am

Small properties are the cats meow for hogs if they feel safe and the property is fenced. Pigs can’t jump a fence! Find the hole where they are getting in and set up there. More than likely it will be where the perimeter fence crosses a ditch or drainage. If no fence then I suggest u bait em in a hunter friendly location.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bowhntr68

Unread postby Bowhntr68 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:18 am

Unless you have a feeder or bait pile in the same spot for several days it’s nearly impossible to pattern hogs. They tend to just roam around finding whatever food they can and then move to the next spot. If you want to eliminate an entire sounder you’re best bet is probably a corral trap. It’s hard to lay down 8-10 pigs at a time with guns or bows unless you can catch them out in a large field. If it were me, I’d find a spot along a creek bottom or any other low spot with decent hog sign and start putting out whatever kind of bait you like. Give them some time to find it and you’ll have a shot at them
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm

If it is legal.... bait.
Texas Hog Baits is phenomenal stuff. Their long range attractant is awesome. Mix a small amount in with your corn, and they will most definitely show up within a day or two.

Also, if legal... hunt them at night.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:26 pm

Use a post hole digger and do a couple of holes as deep as you can.

Fill em up with corn and sour corn (fill a 5-gallon bucket about 2/3 with water and corn, put a beer or some sugar in it - leave in the sun for a week and it should be ready) stinky stuff.

The pigs will dig and root until they get it all. The deeper it is the more work it is and the longer they'll hang around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”