Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WVoutdoorfanatic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Nathan Travis

Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby WVoutdoorfanatic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 am

Ok first off ty admin for allowing me to join this forum i joined this board to a. Let my fellow hunters i was recently able to cross a big item off my bucket list. b. Let everyone know that this experience changed my personal perspective on high fence/game ranch hunting. c. To provide info if anyone reading this post wants to have a similar experience to what I had
Ive been looking for a hog hunt for nearly 3 yr. I looked all over east west midwest etc. I live in WV and my goal was to go somewhere within a days drive of where i live. I knew off the bat i was limiting myself. Most of what i found within the parameters i set were high fence areas. Coming up as a hunter early on i was taught that this type of endeavor was not true hunting or sportsmanship. So i dismissed these as legit options at first. Then a curious thing happened i began to read and hear and talk to folks who had been on this type of hunt and it caused me to take a second look. Finally i decided the decision was in my hands so after several months of correspondence with the owner and people who had visited the ranch to give it a try. Leading up to the hunt even to the very day we were walking to our hunting spot im asking myself is this really what ive been after for so long. Not until the guide took me and my hunting partner to a hog crossing and told us we could sit in a spot together or spread out a little and showed us Where the hogs could cross did it dawn on me that i was hunting. Yes we both killed two nice boars yes there was a fence but the rush factor was there the anticipation eas there i was hunting for real not just shooting a pre determined animal that was pinned or hemmed in. I dont want to change your opinion it probably isnt a hunt for everyone but if your looking for an honest to goodness hunt for animals you can't get in your local neck of the woods i would recommend you call Dannie and Adam at double D ranch in MacArthur ohio. You wont be sorry. Happing hunting!!

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum.

I support all legal methods of hunting and all legal weapons. I'm glad that you had a great experience and chose to share it here.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Don't care to dig into the topic of high fence hunting and get my blood boiling. But I just find it crazy how half the country is overrun by these hogs, and the other half can't ever find a place to go. I know there are a lot of money making operations feasting off selling the "Hawg" epidemic but for a diy hunt, it should be fairly easy to find a spot I would think. Maybe, that's just cause I live in the heart of pig country and know a lot of folks. But public lands are crawling with them as well. I might have missed my calling as a pig guide. :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 pm

We used to do a "pigfest" annual wild boar harvest as BEAST members. Many of the old members probably remember pigfest. Its a long distance to travel down south, and the areas down there that claim to have problems sure want a lot of money to hunt them... We went to a high fence ranch in Michigan. It was a blast. Most ended up getting a pig, and everyone got an adventure. I even roped one.

Was it hunting? Maybe, maybe not. If you compare it to hunting a public swamp in South Florida, there is no comparison. But it is a way to get your freezer full of bacon without paying a farmer to kill it for you.

To each there own... Some people have limitations like money, or time but still want to experience hunting a wild pig or other critter. Some guys want to just once in there life experience having a 200 inch whitetail walk up and shoot it... As long as there honest, what do I care? IOf it bothers you what someone else does you should probably take a long hard look in the mirror.

To me its far better than resorting to buying meat off a shelf from an animal that never had a chance and was just raised to be slaughtered.
Stick bow, rifle, managed ranch, high fence, etc. Who cares? Do what makes you happy. Its not an apples to apples comparison and everynody has a different degree of difficulty.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 am

This sounds a little like a commercial for the ranch.

I'm not sure why you need validation from others about the hunt? If you went and enjoyed it, great for you. Do what makes you happy (as long as it's legal) and who really cares what others think. It isn't something I'd personally be interested in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:31 am

The words "high fence" are almost as bad a "bait". A whole bunch of guys who have never done it raise their hackles and start being mean. It's not sporting, it's not hunting, it is the demise of all things good, etc.

LOL!

I have no opinion against it - if the trip was fun and memorable for you - don't let someone else's opinion ruin it.
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:09 am

I have have been fortunate to have had the privilege of hunting in Africa most of my life; and as such; can tell you that most hunts there is in some way, shape or form; a “high” fence hunt.

.. Yet everybody from a different continent goes there to hunt.. and most come back wanting more:). To me, if it’s what you enjoy doing; while observing the morals and values most hunters expect; there is no wrong in the hunting portion of it. It’s whatever you are fortunate to afford. It’s not like the animal is tied down so someone can get their fix.

It just so happens that I don’t personally believe in paying an outfitter for a hunt; and thus it’s not something I see myself doing-of course; with that said, my rubber arm could probably be bent for the right elk or moose hunt:). I personally enjoy the challenge and thrill of a diy hunt.. I love the work involved in scouting, prepping, learning, hunting, blood trailing and everything else involved after a successful and even unsuccessful hunt.

As much as hunting alone is fun, there is just something fantastic about the camaraderie of a shared passion amongst friends and nothing quite like that of brothers in the woods.. if this kind of hunt is what you enjoy and you paid someone to let you do it, then all the power to you.. each to his own.

Ultimately, it’s your money, your time and for your enjoyment. Glad you had a blast and found something you could enjoy. A passion is as much something to share with friends and create new memories as it is to enjoy..

That’s the beauty of freedom, you have a choice to float your boat any way you want:)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 am

I'm not into the high fence hunting stuff but don't hold anything against those that do it. Like was mentioned before as long as it's legal and you had fun I'm happy for you. As long as you are honest about it and don't try to compare it to a free range kill like for instance a big buck killed in a game farm vs one killed on heavily hunted public land I have no issue with it. Some hang their trophies on the wall and don't tell the true story. I do have a real issue with that. Just be honest.

On another topic as far as guided hunts go I love doing things myself the hard way and get great satisfaction from it but would never totally close my mind to hunting with a guide. I have done two guided bear hunts and both were a wonderful learning experience. I'm all about learning and no better way to better yourself than to have an open mind and learn from some of the best. Some of the best hunting and fishing guides out there readily admit to going on guided trips in their early years and give credit to that making them who they are today. One of the best teachers around is Dan and I see no shortage of guys here willing to attend one of his scouting workshops. The results in the Kill Zone year after year proves what having an open mind can do for your success. Close minded guys never kill anything and then complain about how everyone else does it. Keep an open mind and if a great learning experience presents itself grasp it and apply it to your own situation.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 am

I have chased pigs, even a dall sheep once in a this type of place 3 or 4 different times. I enjoyed it, would do it again, and brought home some tasty meat. I won the opportunity to take the dall in a card game while at the ranch. I don't feel it defines me as a poor human being or a bad hunter.

I do love fair chase no fences, but after I moved to Michigan and found wild pheasant hunting was not all that good, I had my chessies run farm raised birds. Had a blast doing that too, maybe I am a bad human being ;)
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Wed May 16, 2018 12:07 am

High fence "hunting" is to hunting what prostitution is to dating.

Do what you want, if it's legal. Just don't BS yourself.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 am

docwaters wrote:High fence "hunting" is to hunting what prostitution is to dating.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im from SE Louisiana we have plenty of hogs to go around. actually missed 2 and passed on a 300 pounder this pass season. we have some public that if someone is interested id be happy to tell them where i was and im pretty sure you would have a chance at a couple. High fence hunting is a legal way to shoot deer but not as challenging as the beast style of hunting and not as rewarding (imo). every high fence will be different and some have different challenges. here in Louisiana a ranch or high fence owner can basically send you a manifest of what he has to offer and what the prices are. ie 180" $12,000-13,000, 200" $15,000 all these are based on a conversation i just had with a local taxidermist who does about 10 high fence mounts a year. a lot of these owners will go buy your deer for a couple thousand dollars trailer it to their place and turn it loose and watch what are it stays in and then place the hunter in the area and boom you just shot a monster. i say good for them, if they can afford it and this is success to them let them hang that monster proudly on their wall. i dont know everyones work or life schedules and what they can afford who am i to judge. I have a 120" european mount 8 that i shot this year using the skills and knowledge from Dan and his forum. I am very proud of my success and how hard i had to work to get him. if all you have is 3 days to hunt all year and can afford it do what makes you happy.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 am

jporcello wrote:
docwaters wrote:High fence "hunting" is to hunting what prostitution is to dating.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im from SE Louisiana we have plenty of hogs to go around. actually missed 2 and passed on a 300 pounder this pass season. we have some public that if someone is interested id be happy to tell them where i was and im pretty sure you would have a chance at a couple. High fence hunting is a legal way to shoot deer but not as challenging as the beast style of hunting and not as rewarding (imo). every high fence will be different and some have different challenges. here in Louisiana a ranch or high fence owner can basically send you a manifest of what he has to offer and what the prices are. ie 180" $12,000-13,000, 200" $15,000 all these are based on a conversation i just had with a local taxidermist who does about 10 high fence mounts a year. a lot of these owners will go buy your deer for a couple thousand dollars trailer it to their place and turn it loose and watch what are it stays in and then place the hunter in the area and boom you just shot a monster. i say good for them, if they can afford it and this is success to them let them hang that monster proudly on their wall. i dont know everyones work or life schedules and what they can afford who am i to judge. I have a 120" european mount 8 that i shot this year using the skills and knowledge from Dan and his forum. I am very proud of my success and how hard i had to work to get him. if all you have is 3 days to hunt all year and can afford it do what makes you happy.

sorry taxidermist does 100 high fence mount
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 am

I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money. I might not do it myself but no judgement here.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm

The things I do not like about high fence operations is there's really no laws that govern them. While some are thousands of acres others aren't even fifty. Some don't even have a tree on the place.

Then here in Tx it's a common issue for these deer to escape and if you shoot one on your own property you are taken to court and must pay to restock the animal, which can be upwards of 10,000. They fall into the livestock laws.

I also don't like the adds and websites for these operations were it's advertised Guaranteed Kill. In my opinion there is no place in anything hunting related for the word guarantee.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:The things I do not like about high fence operations is there's really no laws that govern them. While some are thousands of acres others aren't even fifty. Some don't even have a tree on the place.

Then here in Tx it's a common issue for these deer to escape and if you shoot one on your own property you are taken to court and must pay to restock the animal, which can be upwards of 10,000. They fall into the livestock laws.

I also don't like the adds and websites for these operations were it's advertised Guaranteed Kill. In my opinion there is no place in anything hunting related for the word guarantee.

So if their animal gets out and onto public land and you shoot it you get sued?

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”