Scope or red dot worth it?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 8114
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 am

For those of you shooting turkeys with a scope or red dot...

1) do you find a significant advantage over a bead?

2) which one are you using? (type, brand, make, model) Like it?

Any recommendations also appreciated.


Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
User avatar
Bio1
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 am
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:16 am

My kids hunt with a red dot but I do not. It definitely helps them hit what they are aiming at as they have missed a time or two with the old bead. I do not shoot one as it is just something that can fail whereas my bead never does. Case in point - last weekend my boy didn’t get a bird as his red dot died - apparently had forgotten to turn it off. Pulled up and he was looking through a piece of glass. That would not have happened with my bead. It’s not like you are shooting them at extreme distance.

Bio1
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 am

I still use a bead but my kids gun is so easy to shoot with a red dot that im considering getting one for myself. I keep a new battery taped to the side of it just I case of battery failure, but I am super anal about getting the gun ready/put away that I havent had an issue. Yet. Iuncase, check dot, load. Check dot several times during hunt. Always check it 2x before I unload and case as well.

Have never used a scope but having 1-3x power would be kinda nice for 40-50 yard shots.

Better check the battery.

Pic of our Dot, pretty simple.

20200423_160045.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
VaBowKill5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:40 am
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am

I tried a scope once and hated it due to an instance where a turkey stuck his head up at about 8 yards and I didn’t have time to finish nd him in the scope. Red dot may be ok but I use a fiber optic peep sight and I love it. It’s made by Dead Ringer same as a bead but the peep just makes you keep your head down.
Sloepoke20
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:24 pm

muddy wrote:I still use a bead but my kids gun is so easy to shoot with a red dot that im considering getting one for myself. I keep a new battery taped to the side of it just I case of battery failure, but I am super anal about getting the gun ready/put away that I havent had an issue. Yet. Iuncase, check dot, load. Check dot several times during hunt. Always check it 2x before I unload and case as well.

Have never used a scope but having 1-3x power would be kinda nice for 40-50 yard shots.

Better check the battery.

Pic of our Dot, pretty simple.

20200423_160045.jpg


That’s the scope I have on mine. I really like it. It’s not expensive, easy to sight in/use, can change dot to red or green and has a handful of different brightness options. It’s a good Turkey Scope in my opinion. I do recommend having an extra battery on hand just in case.
Sloepoke20
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm

User avatar
wannabemtnman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:53 am
Location: VA
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby wannabemtnman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:45 am

I've never really understood why people put scopes on turkey guns but to each their own! This is the first year I've started using clip on iron sights that are pretty much there just to ensure my cheek is on the stock and I've been having good success with that setup.
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby muddy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 am

wannabemtnman wrote:I've never really understood why people put scopes on turkey guns but to each their own! This is the first year I've started using clip on iron sights that are pretty much there just to ensure my cheek is on the stock and I've been having good success with that setup.


I know guys that had huge issues keeping their head down on the bead that now are quite successful since putting a scope/red dot on their guns. Not everyone has "the knack" to shoot a bead.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
Ack
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby Ack » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:32 am

muddy wrote:
wannabemtnman wrote:I've never really understood why people put scopes on turkey guns but to each their own! This is the first year I've started using clip on iron sights that are pretty much there just to ensure my cheek is on the stock and I've been having good success with that setup.


I know guys that had huge issues keeping their head down on the bead that now are quite successful since putting a scope/red dot on their guns. Not everyone has "the knack" to shoot a bead.


And that would be me. Also easier to get on the bird when you’re twisted to your weak side.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 8114
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 am

Ack wrote:
muddy wrote:
wannabemtnman wrote:I've never really understood why people put scopes on turkey guns but to each their own! This is the first year I've started using clip on iron sights that are pretty much there just to ensure my cheek is on the stock and I've been having good success with that setup.


I know guys that had huge issues keeping their head down on the bead that now are quite successful since putting a scope/red dot on their guns. Not everyone has "the knack" to shoot a bead.


And that would be me. Also easier to get on the bird when you’re twisted to your weak side.

That was one of the things I was thinking about. A reflex/red dot is way better this way. My aimpoint (on something else)... it’s kinda crazy how you can be off to the side a bit in terms of alignment, but the shot goes where the dot goes.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
RiverBottoms
500 Club
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 am
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 am

I don't have an optic on my turkey gun, but I'd consider it. Seems like lots of birds get missed every year using bead sights (probably some with optics too)
mipubbucks24
500 Club
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:56 am
Location: South West Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 am

Ive used red dots with turkey and they work awesome. I hate beads for any kind of hunting, I just don’t see them well. I went to the dead ringer just to try something cheap and easy, if I did not like it I was going to buy a red dot. But I love it, it just makes you take that extra split second to make everything line up, “get your head down”. I also like not having the maintenance, don’t have to worry about batteries or knocking it off, or any of that. Probably would go with a red dot for my kids when they get bigger. But I am going to stick with the dead ringer for my gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Ringer-Bust ... B019CRCE1O
mspaci
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby mspaci » Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am

I have a Burris speed dot on mine, started to have misses a few years ago, my eyes just don't focus like they used to as I age. Missed 1 in last 5 years. Mike
User avatar
cspot
500 Club
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Location: Western PA
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby cspot » Sat May 02, 2020 7:40 am

I just went to a scope on mine. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I have trouble seeing the bead and turkey with everything in focus. Really have trouble getting a fine bead on one. Wasn't a necessity but it was causing me issues. I never liked a red dot so I went to a scope.
User avatar
loganB85
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:13 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby loganB85 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:38 pm

I had that debate a couple months before gobbler season started and ultimately make the transition to a Red dot on my benelli. I went with burris speed bead mount and a vortex venom. This way of mounting the red dot allowed me to co-witness the dot with my factory bead.(dot covers front bead completely) If the red dot malfunctions due to dead battery or whatever I still have a bead and don’t have to make any cheek weld adjustments. I really liked the red dot for the fact once you sight in the dot is where your pattern is going. If you have to take an awkward shot and can’t get a good cheek weld, or having to make a really quick shot on a bird that came in quiet. It gives you an advantage over a traditional bead or a magnified optic. You also can shoot with both eyes open which gives you much better depth perception. That’s how I feel about RDS on a turkey gun. I’m happy I made the upgrade.

*speed bead mounts will not work on Mossberg because of their tang safety*
~L.B.C~


  • Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests