Called in a hen

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Called in a hen

Unread postby Moose » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:08 am

This morning around 5:45 the woods were on fire with gobbling but of course its on the neighbors side. I set up as close as i could with at the fence line with adequate cover. Around 6:20 i started calling and the toms kept getting farther away. I would move and call again then nothing. I kept moving and calling about every 30-45 mins with no respone. I then moved to a large green hay field and called again but this time i heard some putts behind me and 10mins later a hen came out alone. I figured a tom would be following but nothing. I sat for about another hour and called a few times with no response. Today was my first time turkey hunting so even being that close to a hen was awesome. My question is do hens normally travel alone? Should i have waited longer? Is it good i call and move every 30-45 mins? If i hear the gobbling getting farther away should i leave and go somewhere else? I just wanna make sure im not messing myself up for tommorow morning. Thanks in advance.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Called in a hen

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:39 am

I’ve been seeing a lot of hens alone, roaming this week. I keep moving and hunting fresh sign and active birds.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 am

The hens go to the Tom in nature. Why they hang up and won’t come in if your calling to aggressive. You have to get inside that bubble where they will move into a call. If they are walking away from you they are probably heading to a strut zone where they meet up with the hens. You have to get in front of them on their way there. If you don’t have access to the strut zone. Wait it out. After the morning tending of hens they will be back on the move and may come to your calling. Don’t over call. If you get a response and it’s heading your way wait on him. It may take a half hour or more for him to come in. I called in a Tom last week and got video. He was stubborn but eventually I got him into shotgun range. To bad our season doesn’t open till the 18th
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks guys! It happened again this morning. This farm is broken up into alot of paddocks so theres alot of fence. That could be some of my problems. I will try to roost some tonight at different farms and public since i think the ones im hunting now are on the neighbors.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 am

matt1336 wrote:I’ve been seeing a lot of hens alone, roaming this week. I keep moving and hunting fresh sign and active birds.

I have been out scouting for deer just about every day and seeing hens and gobblers out and about at all times of the day and they have been real vocal. Lot's of gobbling back and forth with hens. Also seeing groups of toms strutting together around hens and getting physical.

This one got a little rough.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 am

Im Not sure whar to do. I hear them gobble in the morning and around 9-10am. After that dead silence for the rest of the day. I cant find any sign anywhere so i think everything is on the neighbors other then 1 hen i called in yesterday. Tommorow is my last day so either i hunt the same place or try to roost birds at other places for the morning. Any suggestions anybody?

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”