Ticks even in my underwear.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Ticks even in my underwear.

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

may21581 wrote:Permethrin all the way. Pick up a bottle of sawyers and treat your clothes. You wont be disappointed!

Don’t forget to spray your underwear too. ;)

Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:47 am

I use sawyers permethrin. I did not have 1 tick on me the whole season. I also use lacrosse rubber boots and I tuck my pants legs into them. I definitely went through some real thick stuff later in the season, still had no ticks.

I also bought a product called Rinoskyn. It’s good stuff, wear it as sort of a base layer.

Yea my boss ended up getting Lyme. It’s real gnarly stuff, he had it for 6 years before it was detected. Now he’s having a hard time getting it out of his system.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am

Like others have said permethrin I should buy stock in the company at how much I use.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:https://www.rynoskin.com/

I don't like to use chemicals. Been wearing this stuff for nearly 20 years. Never been but by a tick wearing it, it works! I hunt in areas that are loaded with ticks.

Isn't rynoskin impregnated with permethrin using a special process?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:18 am

stash59 wrote:

I don't like to use chemicals. Been wearing this stuff for nearly 20 years. Never been but by a tick wearing it, it works! I hunt in areas that are loaded with ticks.

No chemicals, just the nature of the material keeps them off of you.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
stash59 wrote:

No chemicals, just the nature of the material keeps them off of you.

Thanx
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 pm

I am a physician assistant and work in a pretty rural urgent care clinic, so I have quite a bit of tick/Lyme experience. Some quick tips.

-Premethrin is the best repellent. Spray your clothing and let it dry. It isn't harmful to you, it just isn't absorbed through the skin and therefore not useful. That being said, some people have stronger pheromones which ticks are more attracted to naturally.

-If you're just scouting in the spring or summer, wear light colored clothing so the black tick is contrasted and easier to notice.

-tick checks after every outing, head to toe and everywhere in between

-If you find one embedded, grab the tick with tweezers or forceps as close to the skin as possible and pull straight up. Only pull hard enough to put pressure on the tick, but not enough to break it. Eventually it will release its hold and pop right out. (I still break quite a few off)

-If you break the tick off, the CDC does not reccomended digging it out as there is no increase in Lyme risk with retained parts. That being said, most people want them out so it's best to see a local provider.

-don't use a lighter, chemicals, Vaseline etc to remove an attached tick. The tick may back out, but will regurgitate its stomach contents which thus increases the risk of Lyme in comparison to tweezers.

-a tick must be attached for 36-48 hours to transmit Lyme and therefore that is the reccomended time frame for prophylactic, single day antibiotic.

-bullseye or large red rash = Lyme disease. Visit a local provider as soon as possible.

**there's also a cool website called tickcheck.com which will test FOR FREE, any removed ticks for Lyme, anaplasmosis, babeseosis and one other tick-borne vector which I cannot remember right now. It also will tell you how long the tick was attached for based on engorgement. Just have to pay to ship it.

Hope this helps guys. Pm me with any questions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”