Patterned the Guns

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Patterned the Guns

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Well I'm catching the turkey fever..

I took my Franchi Affinity & Benelli Nova to the range with a Carlson's .665 choke tube along with a factory Full. I had 3" Winchester XR's in 6 shot & 3 1/2" Remington Nitro Turkey loads in #5 shot. I shot all of my groups at 40 yards.

Both of my guns shot A LOT better with the $20 Carlson's tube than the factory Benelli choke. I'm talking about 168 pellets in a 12" circle (200 for the entire paper) compared to 101 pellets on the entire paper..

The Franchi ended up shooting slightly better than the nova, probably user error here because I shoulder the Affinity better than the Nova. Being the Affinity is a 3" chamber I only shot the 3 1/2" shells through the Nova, which patterned poorly compared to the XR's. I didn't bother counting the difference but it looked to be around 100-120 pellets on the sheet.

Looking forward to our March 25th opener! Who else has been testing chokes/shells?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
nor' easter

Re: Patterned the Guns

Unread postby nor' easter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

I patterned my 870 a few years ago with an undertaker choke. I tried 6 different loads and found that the best pattern was from winchester supreme 5 shot. My father in law has the same choke in a Charles Daly semi, he had the best performance with federal premiums. I have noticed that some load and choke combos just dont pattern as well as other.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 am

Last year I tested 3 shotguns with a total of 5 chokes (not all interchangeable) and a total of 10 different loads (again, not all interchangeable). That was the only time I've seen a lead sled be helpful. The guns were all in the Mossberg 500 family- my old 12 gauge 3", a new 3.5" 535, and a 20 gauge.

I hunted last season with the 535 with 3.5" Winchester Longbeard XR #5's and a Rhino extended/ported .665" choke. I used a red dot sight on this setup and other than remembering to turn it on when needed it worked great. It was 3 for 3 on longbeards, but I didn't like carrying or shooting it compared to my old gun. Sold it this winter. Kept the choke. Also sold a pile of 3.5" Federal Heavyweights and Hevi-Shots.

I've killed about 25 with the old 3" model 500 12 gauge, mostly with the now-discontinued Winchester Extended Range #5's. It shoots the new XR's almost as good. I like this gun because I have double bead sights on it that are basically indestructible. For hunting from a boat, crawling on birds, or scrambling up a mountain it gives me peace of mind knowing my sights will still be on. (I also can't stand adjustable rifle sights for that reason-witnessed two friends have theirs get moved in the field) I'll carry this one the most this season.

The 20 gauge I got for the girlfriend. She likes a red dot sight, so hooked her up with a pretty sweet one. Replaced the factory rifle sights with double beads also in case the red dot were to fail in-season. It preferred the Winchester Double X #6's over the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend with the factory choke. I've been looking for the new 20 gauge XR loads for this gun, but guess I'm going to have to order from somewhere. I also have my eye on the Carlson's choke built for that load.
Not all those who wander are lost...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am

My 870 is dialed in and I have a supply of ammo...I won't even test fire it... Because at like $5 a shell I don't want to lol. I know it patterns and I know it's on. No sense in wasting the shell at this point. 3" Magnum Blend putting around 230 in a 10" circle at 40yds. More than enough for me...And from a 21" barrel, it'd be tough to do much better unless I went to TSS and finer shot.

I will however be working up a new load for my flintlock. I have the barrel being jug choked now. Should have it back in another week or so I'd guess. I'd love to have it back by the end of this week so I can start shooting next week...

It patterned well before. Hopefully I can find loads that pattern as well or better when I get it back...

Maybe I will make a post when I start tinkering with it. Beauty of the flintlock is there's endless variables to change to try and achieve a different pattern.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 am

$5 a shell..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm glad I'm sitting on a dang near lifetime supply if that's what they're going for now. I've got about 10 cases (not boxes, but cases of boxes) of dove load too. I'm not feeling nearly as dumb as I did when I made the ordering mistake about 8-9 years ago.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am

Hate patterning my Benelli, hurts too much. With the fan I think I'm going to take the 20ga and 2 3/4 shot this year.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 am

muddy wrote:Hate patterning my Benelli, hurts too much. With the fan I think I'm going to take the 20ga and 2 3/4 shot this year.

I use a limbsaver pad and wore a jacket when I patterned the 3 1/2" shells and it wasn't bad at all.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm

mauser06 wrote:My 870 is dialed in and I have a supply of ammo...I won't even test fire it... Because at like $5 a shell I don't want to lol. I know it patterns and I know it's on. No sense in wasting the shell at this point. 3" Magnum Blend putting around 230 in a 10" circle at 40yds. More than enough for me...And from a 21" barrel, it'd be tough to do much better unless I went to TSS and finer shot.

I will however be working up a new load for my flintlock. I have the barrel being jug choked now. Should have it back in another week or so I'd guess. I'd love to have it back by the end of this week so I can start shooting next week...

It patterned well before. Hopefully I can find loads that pattern as well or better when I get it back...

Maybe I will make a post when I start tinkering with it. Beauty of the flintlock is there's endless variables to change to try and achieve a different pattern.

Yep, heard that! 5.00 per shell for the Heavi Shot 3 inch turkey loads. It's what my gun likes the best. I try and not miss with my Ole 835 Mossy with an Indian Crick choker.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 am

I started loading my own TSS a few years ago and won't ever look back. My 20 ga's are flat out 50+ yrd guns and I know I won't ever need to chase ammo from a manufacturer changing components from one year to the next. My 20's will hammer a bird with those little 9's.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:05 am

TSS is the stuff. I have too many hobbies as it is to add shotshell reloading, however :?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:29 am

Last year I shot my birds with #4 steel shot 2-3/4" duck loads out of a plain steel full choke. Probably will this year too. I was out of turkey loads and didn't see a reason to get more since I have an excess supply of duck shells. I patterned them a couple years ago and at the ranges I need to shoot that's all that is needed.

There are so many gobblers around these days I just wait for a nice close shot. It is basically self defense :lol:

And when I need more duck shells they are around $12/box of 25....50 cents a round. I wonder if a $5 shell kills a turkey deader at 25 yards than a 50 cent shell :think:

But I do understand if you are picking them off at long range. My longest shot years ago was 51 yards...obviously with higher powered artillery.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 am

jwilkstn wrote:TSS is the stuff. I have too many hobbies as it is to add shotshell reloading, however :?

TSS is the stuff... until you don't get it loaded right and your shot doesn't fire. A buddy had that happen on a bird this morning. :o :D

I don't really get into the shooting and patterning and such. Shot a longbeard out of my gun a few years ago and it put an outrageous number of pellets on target so I've been shooting them since.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:45 am

I don't really load TSS to shoot further. I really load it to pack a 20 ga and not lose anything from a 12. I think I'm going to try to get one with a 410 this spring.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 am

JoeRE wrote:There are so many gobblers around these days I just wait for a nice close shot. It is basically self defense :lol:

Sounds like I need to add Iowa to my turkey hunting list :lol:
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am

thwack16 wrote:TSS is the stuff... until you don't get it loaded right and your shot doesn't fire. A buddy had that happen on a bird this morning. :o :D

Ohhh man that would make me sick!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”