Call shy birds

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Call shy birds

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:01 pm

burkhart wrote:
Ack wrote:Ok, so next question......

You are hunting a specific bird on your property....maybe he is the only one there and you can easily identify him. You move in to hunt him and call to him with your go-to call and he will not respond. Two days later you go back to hunt him, and using the same exact call he comes in on a string. Was he "call shy" the first time you hunted him, or just not interested that particular day?

Basically what I am getting at is that there are countless reasons why a bird will or will not respond to a call from one day to the next, and it is not because they are "shy" of the call. Every single turkey call on the market has the capability of sounding like a live turkey. I've heard some gawd awful sounding hens out in the wild, and have also heard many different variations of how they communicate.....if you are using a call it's VERY hard to not sound like a turkey. They don't know the difference.

Birds are shy of humans, not turkey calls. Oldrank nailed it when he mentioned negative encounters.....THAT is what will make a bird cautious, not them hearing a turkey that yelps 20 times in a row.

Like I stated before Im not in the call shy camp. However I do disagree that the tom does know the difference and /or can associate your calls to danger to some extent. Im sure (myself included). Have call sequences and styles we like and use. So if i go after the same bird every day with these same calls. I believe he will pick up that the hen over there never moves. And to throw oldranks theory(which is GREAT point) every time I do go over there I get shot at.. He will eventually sit in the middle of his "safe zone" and quietly hang out...or in Bighunts experience run way...

Ack I do think you've brought up a few point we need to discuss for the sake of this thread and that's the other factors that cause him not to gobble and what to do. Ack, bighunt, oldrank whomever, plz share your observations and tactics on what to do.

My observations on why birds wont gobble
1. has hens with him already.
2. Bad experience/ hunting pressure
3. Barometeric pressure??? (Fronts)

I've never payed attention to barometric pressure. I will this year. That is interesting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 pm

Actually I have noticed in general birds tend to gobble less in storms. I did kill two involving rain storms last year. One in Missouri that I had fired up right before a monsoon and they came in silent right after the rain stopped and one in Pennsylvania that I killed right after fly down and right before a down pour.

This kind of sounds foolish but I wonder if when they are going nuts gobbling like crazy before a hard storm they are real eager to link up so they don't lose one another? I don't know if I am explaining what my brain is thinking correctly lol

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 pm

Maybe I should have lionos sword :think:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:13 am

That makes sense Burkhart. Good stuff

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 am

Ive hunted turkeys many years and have dealt with the "call shy" birds. From what i observe, we the hunter send them into a quiet state. People say turkeys dont remember but i can say that using the same call a few days a row in the same bush, calling using the exact same sequences and having being busted by birds educates them to follow the hens they can see and not be as rushed to come check out that hen that has been 20 yds off the field edge for 3 days straight for the first couple hours of light
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 pm

burkhart wrote:Another thing Im doing more and more is not hunting birds off the roost. I find that my hunts can be more productive sleeping in and hunting from say 9am on.

Nailed it! :clap:
Kidd

Unread postby Kidd » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:14 am

I have found that with call shy birds or birds that hang up if you can sneek around to the location you first heard them gobble and softly call they at more prone to come in as it is a location they first felt was free of danger. This takes being stealthy but relatively quick. Switching up the call, the tone or the cadence may have them believing a different hen has come into there initial gobble " like nature intended". It only takes a soft short call in most cases and then just sit and wait. I have had success with this tactic especially if I know the exact location the bird came from.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:48 pm

Ack wrote:
burkhart wrote:Another thing Im doing more and more is not hunting birds off the roost. I find that my hunts can be more productive sleeping in and hunting from say 9am on.

Nailed it! :clap:
ahhh I love sleeping in :lol: I shot a few birds that way

yes WHEN there on the nest....depending on the spring that don't happen until 4-5 season here in Wisconsin ( mid may )
until then I slip right underneath them on the roost and have higher success with henned up gobblers in the earlier seasons. but regardless of season (early, late ) if you wait long enough in the morning gobblers will start gobbling again about 9 am historically anyway ......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:16 pm

oldrank wrote:Birds get call shy. Over calling educates em quick. The classic yelp is over used as a locator and in small over hunted lots birds will clam up or gobble n move off in the distance. Purrs n putts n soft yelps spaced out will work on these birds. Alot of times I will hear the tom give a putt back as he sneaks in. Most wont gobble except on the roost. Locating the birds the night before is key.

I thought putts were alarm calls? do you mean "clucks" or am I thinking wrong?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:34 pm

burkhart wrote:I'll hunt opening day all day then after that I won't hit the woods till mid morning. I think it was said before but this also gives the impatient hunters a chance to head home

maybe on one property, but public there's thousands of acres to hunt ....id be hurting my chances if i don't hunt mornings
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 am

BigHunt wrote:
burkhart wrote:I'll hunt opening day all day then after that I won't hit the woods till mid morning. I think it was said before but this also gives the impatient hunters a chance to head home

maybe on one property, but public there's thousands of acres to hunt ....id be hurting my chances if i don't hunt mornings

That's fine if you stick it out till atleast 1 or so..it's the guys that quit at 8 or 9 that really kill there chances. I would rather hunt from 9-noon than 6-9 any day of the week.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:18 am

wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

That's fine if you stick it out till atleast 1 or so..it's the guys that quit at 8 or 9 that really kill there chances. I would rather hunt from 9-noon than 6-9 any day of the week.

or you could just hunt all day :think:

I LOVE midday hunting....but there's nothing like an early morning roost hunt. to me that's the beauty of turkey hunting

perfect spring morning .....moons rising, suns coming up, you hear that first song bird sing, then you hear that barred owl and all of a sudden GOOOOBBBBLLLEE!!!!!!!!!! they fly off the roost right into your lap ! theres nothing better in my book ..if you do your home work roost hunting is very fun and productive just my opinion also
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 am

wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

also would like to add that midday hunting is as good as it gets in late season
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:35 am

BigHunt wrote:
wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I LOVE midday hunting....but there's nothing like an early morning roost hunt. to me that's the beauty of turkey hunting

perfect spring morning .....moons rising, suns coming up, you hear that first song bird sing, then you hear that barred owl and all of a sudden GOOOOBBBBLLLEE!!!!!!!!!! they fly off the roost right into your lap ! theres nothing better in my book ..if you do your home work roost hunting is very fun and productive just my opinion also

absolutely if you can swing all day hunts do it. But how many guys do you know hunt the first couple of hours than leave when they don't hear anything anymore. ..Im also not above sleeping in and heading out around 8 or so once fatigue sets in from multiple 4 am wake up calls it's a great way to recharge the batteries.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:40 am

wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

absolutely if you can swing all day hunts do it.[glow=red]But how many guys do you know hunt the first couple of hours than leave when they don't hear anything anymore.[/glow] ..Im also not above sleeping in and heading out around 8 or so once fatigue sets in from multiple 4 am wake up calls it's a great way to recharge the batteries.

yes a lot of guys leave ..... :lol:

I usually take a snooze in the woods to make up the lack of sleep :lol: then again I am young and have a lot of get up and go so not hunting all day is out of the question for me....if im not on a gobbling bird then im scouting for bow hunting or mushroom hunting...if im in turkey mode then im cover property's left and right to find a tom
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”