How close do you set up?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Southy77

How close do you set up?

Unread postby Southy77 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:06 am

How close do you like to get before you set up on a roosted gobbler?

Southy77

Re: How close do you set up?

Unread postby Southy77 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:10 am

I try to get within 50 yards if the terrain allows. Works well most of the time...love it when they pitch down in gun range.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:35 pm

As close as possible without spooking the bird. 50 yards is about as close as I would push it though. I think most hunts Im about 100 yards.
10point

Unread postby 10point » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:23 pm

dan wrote:As close as possible without spooking the bird. 50 yards is about as close as I would push it though. I think most hunts Im about 100 yards.

my thoughts exactly...
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:01 am

Generally if the birds are responding I prefer to be 100-200 yds out from the roost. To me calling those mature toms in that distance and watching them accasionally stop and strut is the most exsiting part of the hunt. But on the other hand if your hunt puts you right smack in the middle of unresponsive birds, I'm all over the roost. This past season I placed myself with in 40 yds of the roost and walked away with a 10" beard and 7/8" spurs.
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm

50 yards is darn near impossible unless it is late season and the trees are really leafed out......generally 100-120 yards 75 if late season.
Bowhunter4ever!!!!!!!!

Visit my website
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 am

Close enough to where I'm absolutely certain they cannot detect me moving in. Had a real rough time earlier this season with birds working away from me after coming off the roost. Pretty frustrating when you've got gobbler after gobbler going crazy on the roost, hit the dirt and work away. I really think most were on to me but not spooked hard enough to where they would go quiet. As the season progressed, I worked further from the roost and called later into daylight with much better results.
Southy77

Unread postby Southy77 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Southy77 wrote:I try to get within 50 yards if the terrain allows. Works well most of the time...love it when they pitch down in gun range.

I only try to get close like this when I have really know exactly where the bird is roosted. I usually spend alot of time watching the bird and try to be close enough the evening before to watch the bird fly up in the tree. This way in the morning I know exactly where I'm going to set and can decide which approach I will use to get to the spot that way I can slip in as silent as possible. Also I get there well before daylight and carry a decoy in my hand ready to go so I can set it up without so much noise.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”