Calls

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Calls

Unread postby Ack » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 am

So what are your go-to calls for spring birds....those that seem to produce year after year?

I could make do with only 3 calls in the woods.........my Nature's Echo copper pot, my Lynch Foolproof box, and my Jeff Fredrick diaphragm calls. Over the years I have narrowed it down to these calls that will bring in mature birds consistently. What are yours?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Calls

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 am

I have every call under the sun. But I only really need a good diaphram call. I put two in my mouth, one I'm using and one in my cheek. I change sounds without motion. I can make all turkey sounds with a mouth call.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am

I like my H.S. Strut pot call. I use that the most. It's also the only pot call I have. It's worked many times and I see no need to try anything different. When they get closer I use a diaphragm but I don't have a favorite one. It's whatever I have with me - H.S. Strut, Primos, M.A.D., etc. Many times I don't even need to go to the diaphragm since they are committed at that point.

I also carry a Primos gobble call and a box call but I don't really care for the box call and I use the gobble call on private land very sparingly.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 am

Spysar wrote:I have every call under the sun. But I only really need a good diaphram call. I put two in my mouth, one I'm using and one in my cheek. I change sounds without motion. I can make all turkey sounds with a mouth call.

good tactic Eric thanks for sharing .... 8-)

can you gobble :think: 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm

I have dozens of diaphragms, but I really like MAD calls. Only call I ever need, except for a locator call in the morning..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:49 pm

I use my voice, I am damn good with it too. I carry a box call and an aluminum call for windy days because they cut the wind better than anything. I also have 2 other slate calls so I can call with my voice and use a slate in each hand to sound like a flock.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:24 am

3 calls: A diaphram (not picky, something raspy)

and in my pocket a slate call and a trumpet call from:

http://www.merocustomcalls.com/

Brian makes awesome calls, super craftsmanship and keeps his prices reasonable for custom calls. They sound great!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 am

I like box calls... Seems like you get some lemons though, its nice to buy them from a place you can try them out at to make sure the tone sounds good. I have also noticed there hearing seems to remember tones from calls that turned out to be a hunter... Not a bad idea to have two different calls.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Slate n a diaphragm call. I usually just pick up an oak stick while I'm in the woods n make a quick striker to get the tone I want.

I get get just about any turkey sound I want out of that combo. I'll run the slate till birds commit n get close then I go to the mouth call to cut down movement.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:51 pm

I use a few pot and peg style calls but I mostly use a mouth call.
I usually buy a few a year and put the ones I like into the rotation with the calls I have used for a few years.
I am usually running multiple brands and cuts.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Hands down, my go to is a woodhaven ninja or primos hooks diaphragm call. For some real long range stuff I love my primos wetbox box call!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:01 pm

I would say 98% of the time I'm running only diaphragms. I have used Phelps and Woodhavens in the past with good results.

Good tip on the two mouth calls at once. I usually use a small binder clip on the underside on the bill of my hat to store my mouth call as I'm running and gunning. Helps keep them a bit less slobbery but also on hand for quick use.
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 am

I've got a lot of slate calls, box calls, push button calls, and dozens of mouth calls. With mouth calls being my favorite go to call for there versatility and ability to make all turkey sounds on one call. I use mouth calls almost exclusively. My go to in the morning is a Woodhaven Ninja Ghost for super soft early morning tree calls but the ability to do nice nasally yelps, whines, clucks, and kee kee runs. Then as it gets later in the day Woodhaven's Raspy Red Reactor is my favorite to produce all kinds of great yelps, sharp cackles, good clucks, soft stuff, and excellent gobbling. With those two mouth calls and my voice as a locator I can cover everything I could possibly want to on a spring day. I use several other mouth calls but those would be my go to if I could take a couple. If I could only take one it would be the Ninja Hammer that call does it all just not as good and easy as I can on the other two.
Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 am

Cherry classic glass from wood haven and a knight and hale slate. I never use the same call back to back days in the same area
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 am

Lil' Heartbreaker box call. I take a class call and diaphram with too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”