Bear bait...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Bear bait...

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:03 pm

I already shared one and remember nothing is for free ;) LOL

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Mike Foss wrote:As a guide you meet allot of good people and I have met some great connections, but nothing is for free. Baiting is not just baiting there are certain techniques that I use that seem to really work.
I was by no means Insulting you. ;)
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:15 am

Shultzy,It never crossed my mind that it was an insult. Last year I had 12 hunters in camp and baited over 20,000lbs of bait. Our bait consisted of Sugar cones, cookies, apple pie filling, peach cobbler pie filling, cherry pie filling, gummy bears, pop syrup, two days before the season starts I do use some popcorn. The scent I use is from Bear Scents, I honestly can say it is the best on the market, Bacon gell is my favorate along with Anise gell, I use those two to start my baits because they last for months then I switch over to the spray bottles, I use different flavors in the spray form and I try to use them every 3 to 4 days of baiting to keep there curiosity up, there a great cover up scent. This year so far I have 60 barrels of sugar cones, 20 barrels of cookies, 2000lbs of sugar donut glaze, 2000lbs of lemon pie filling, 67lbs of liquid vanilla and much more to come. With the snow gone and warm weather so early up here it seems I should already be out baiting, cant wait till April 15th. This picture is the 639lb bear that was shot last year on the Snaggle Tooth bait.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:38 am

Dewey wrote:I have never tried it but some of the guides from Canada swear by using popcorn and grease. Popcorn is cheap and super light to carry in to remote spots. Anybody have any luck with trying this?

You reminded me that, yes, I've used popcorn. I used to mix powdered Tang with the hot popcorn. It works well. I forgot all about popcorn :D
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 am

Baiting can begin in WI today, which I will be doing so later today. Pretty cool a few weeks ago I narrowed down some locations by looking at aerials. When I put the boots to the ground a few locations had fresh bear sign. Been collecting hollow logs. Got some extra smelly grease rags I'm gonna drag. If the grease drags won't start'em up I may opt for some Bear Scents. Are sweets the best for the warmer months? I got more protein snacks to start late in the summer. Going to experiment and let them me what they want.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

W/W For getting the baits started Vanilla extract mixed 50/50 with water sprayed out of a spray bottle has worked great for me.
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Liquid smoke also works great. If anybody needs any I can prolly get some seeing is they make it in manitowoc which is were I live.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 am

Weasel Walker wrote:Are sweets the best for the warmer months? I got more protein snacks to start late in the summer. Going to experiment and let them me what they want.

chadhaucke wrote:Liquid smoke also works great. If anybody needs any I can prolly get some seeing is they make it in manitowoc which is were I live.
I use liquid smoke. It's great stuff but It tends to wash away pretty easily If It rains or If you get a heavy dew. I use this stuff more as a short term scent or cover scent when hunting.

WW- What I like to use to get baits going Is a home made fish stink that I make. It's all about getting scent out the 1st few weeks to get the bears there anyway. My homemade fish stink consist of whole bullheads or catfish In a black 5 gallon pail. Fill up a pail full of either one of these and then fill It half full or so of water. Put a lid on It and put It In the sun for a few weeks to decompose. Works excellent for an attractant. Once It turns too pretty much a liquid state poor the liquid Into a container and spread all around the bait site In the tree's and such. Don't spray It on the bait that your feeding the bears though, It will eat It up.
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:17 am

Anyone else set baits? Got three set up. A lot of work carrying in everything on my back. Got them tucked away (public land) with camera tree in mind. Next trip I'm going to carrying sand in to place around them. I found a source for (legal) fryer grease this weekend. So I will grease the sand for scent trails and liberal amounts for the trees.
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am

Anything getting hit yet?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 am

martin peters wrote:Try the grain it works! M.P.

Ya, that fermented grain brings 'em on the run. In a wilderness area I conducted an experiment in a funnel that everything passes through- moose, bear, lynx, whitetail, etc. I dumped a bag of corn to see if these canada creatures with no agriculture anywhere could be enticed to eat it. No takers, and the traffic through the funnel continued quite normally. After the corn got rained on, it began to ferment- end of story, as the bears showed up and devoured it.

For starting baits, I'm surprised no one ever mentions apples. I've disintegrated apples against the bark of trees around a bait and had immediate responses from black bears- I mean overnight THAT night. The juice and pulp from the apples sticks around a long time, even after a good rain.
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Tue May 25, 2010 6:28 am

2 of my three baits hit. Set four more yesterday. Have cameras set now. So the attached picture is a Before.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 am

Nice... Keep us updated on your progress weasel.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:45 pm

We used peanut-butter granola bars and molassess by the 5-gal bucket. I made the post in another topic Great Bear Bait with the name of the place to get the stuff.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 am

Got 6 active now. Using sugar cones and been adding different stuff to keep'em from getting bored. I was not meant to get any pics though. Two old ones had rolls of 35 mm film that didn't take. My new Stealth got attacked. Didn't even get a close up of teeth.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”