Bear bait...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Bear bait...

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Mike Foss wrote:I just took inventory: 22 55 gallon barrels of sugar cones-10 55 gallon barrels of mixed cookies. 57 Gallons of Vanilla. 400lbs of chocolate frosting. 4000lbs of pie filling (Peach Danish, Black Raspberry, But-R-Cookie, Cherry, Raspberry, blueberry). 2000lbs Cake Mix (Devils Creme Cake mix & Brownie Mix). Popcorn. Anise & Bacon Gel and Spray from Bear Scents LLC. By the 4th of July I should have another 5000lbs of Pie filling and another 15 barrels of sugar cones, and what ever I can get my hands on. I will be very cautious with the amount of Chocolate & Brownie cake mix I use. That should do it :)
Awesome!!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:32 am

:shock:
Kinda glad I only have to bait for 3 or 4 weeks! Mikes list could get pretty expensive!
Minnesota starting there baiting a couple weeks before season makes them non-resident and traveling ( from lower MN ) freindly.. There is no way I can travel to Northern Wisconsin and bait all summer and compete with the locals up there...
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:29 am

Image/

Set one bait out last week on the edge of an oak ridge and 4 yo slashings. Got hit after a couple days. Its all about the secret [glow=red]Capp[/glow]I use on top of the logs. Started it up with some vanilla and frier grease. I fill up squeeze ketchup bottles and can spray/fling up onto surrounding trees and brush. The grease bottles work perfect for making scent trails. Every 20 or so paces I make a spritzer up on the surrounding vegitation radially around the bait and all the way out. I think having the trail off the ground keeps them looking harder to find what on the ground at the end of the treasure trail.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

Weasel Walker wrote:Image/

Set one bait out last week on the edge of an oak ridge and 4 yo slashings. Got hit after a couple days. Its all about the secret [glow=red]Capp[/glow]I use on top of the logs. Started it up with some vanilla and frier grease. I fill up squeeze ketchup bottles and can spray/fling up onto surrounding trees and brush. The grease bottles work perfect for making scent trails. Every 20 or so paces I make a spritzer up on the surrounding vegitation radially around the bait and all the way out. I think having the trail off the ground keeps them looking harder to find what on the ground at the end of the treasure trail.

Frier Grease works great, I wish it was legal to use here in Wisconsin (it is legal if it doesnt have any meat products in it), I would also spray/fling the stuff all over but the law specifically states everything (bait) must be contained and covered. The DNR will and have taken samples of bait stations so be careful.

Its amazing how two States, side by side (WI & MN) have two different sets of laws & standards when it comes to baiting regulations. I wonder who is more right?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

This is a good example on how hunting (Bear baiting & Scents) laws and regulations can get confusing or am I looking into it to much. As a guide I always try to follow the law by the book. This baiting with grease topic has confused me for years now, some say you can and some say you cant.

The grease issue came up with a friend of mine the other day, he said you can use it as a scent and I said it cannot (in Wisconsin). This is where the interpretation of a game law can be tricky. So I e-maied the Conservation Warden & NR Policy Officer in Madison this question.
My e-mail Wednesday June 8th 2011 06:48AM: This question is for the law division: "Scent means any material, except honey, used to attract wild animals by its oder". My question is: is grease considered a liquid scent? Can I pour it over logs and surrounding area of the bait pit?

Response: Wednesday June 8th, 2011 9:38:43 AM
Subject: Scent Materials Placed for Bears. Hello, your e-mail was forwarded to me for a reply.

Whether or not grease is legal to be used for bait first depends on what it is and what it contains. If it is or contains ANY MATERIALS which are not liquid and considered an animal part or animal byproduct, such as pieces of fish or meat, or animal fat that does not flow freely as a liquid 70 degrees, it would not be legal to use that grease as bait for bears. We do not consider bacon grease for example to be legal to use for baiting bear, or vegetable oil/grease that contains pieces of meat, bones or parts of an animal carcass. If the material is a vegetable oil or grease such as used in some deep fryers, which remains in liquid form at 70 degrees, and it does not contain any animal parts or animal byproducts as defined below, it would be legal to use as bait for bears.

The general rule is that bait materials placed for bears must be enclosed in a hollow log, a hole in the grond or stump and be covered or capped with logs, rocks, or other Natural Materials to prevent access by deer.

There is an exception whick does not require baits which are "liquid" scents to be enclosed. Legal liquid scents can be placed on the top of logs or rocks covering the other bait material, or on other objects at the bait site, and would not need to be covered.

It is important to understand that any liquid scent used for baiting bear is still considered bait material and counts toward your 10 gallon limit of bait at a bait site. It is also important to understand that scent, as you pointed out in your e-mail, are defined as materials used to attract animals solely by their odors. They may not be used or placed for the purpose of consumption by the animals.
End of e-mail: He did add the definitions of Scent, liquid Scent, Liquid.

Still not satisfied I e-mailed him another question: "Whether or not grease is legal to be used for bait first depends upon what it is and what it contains" So if I use grease from a deep fryer thats contains bits and pieces of french fries (bait material) or donuts (mini donuts) it actually would be illegal to use outside of the bait pit?

His response was: You are correct.

Does anyone else see where some of these hunting and baiting regulations are confusing?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am

Mike Foss wrote: Does anyone else see where some of these hunting and baiting regulations are confusing?

absolutely- anytime a law requires a "subjective interpretation" by multiple individuals... the result will be confusion and dissimilar enforcement.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am

Agreed Mike... Wisconsins rules are especially confusing.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am

UPDATE: Was sent another e-mail.... We also advise folks that use such liquid grease/oil that is used to cook fish, etc., to run it through a strainer first to remove all solids which might be meat or other animal parts which would not be legal to place out as bait, even if covered.

My e-mail in response: Thanks for your quick response. Last question. So your saying I can strain the grease/oil that has been used for fish, meat etc, make sure there are no solids and use that same grease/oil as a scent around and or on top of the bait pit logs without braking the law?

There e-mail response: Correct, but you would also need to let it cool to a temperature of 70 degrees or lower so that any animal fats that turn solid when cool can also be removed and are not placed out as bait or scent.

WOW :o Weasel you were right, I owe you an apology. Grease case closed. Grease away ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:48 pm

dan wrote:Whats everybody using this year... So far I picked up some barrels of donuts..

I've been in touch with my donut guy again... game on! My bear season in my favorite hunting area opens in a couple of weeks, but I've had to bump my hunting back one week due to family commitments. I have hundreds of pounds of donuts coming my way, can't wait! Last year the stand I took my bear at had bears coming from every direction of the compass to eat donuts. I put out 220 pounds (a small mountain) of donuts the day before my hunt... when I returned to hunt 24 hours later less than 10 pounds of donuts remained. My bears love 'em!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm

when i went bear hunting up in ladysmith wisconsin we used cans of carmel,vanilla ;) frosting, old donuts form the local bakery, also bread, but the main bait we used was a 20gallon barrel of granola bar from a factory that ran us about 300$
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Me and my brother just butchered a 800lb steer. Got a good 125 to 150 lbs of pure red meat. Don't get no better then that. You would think we would get more meat out of that steer but that's It.
Weasel Walker

Unread postby Weasel Walker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:27 am

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 am

Mike Foss wrote:Its interesting reading these threads. Bears are creatures of habit they get acclimated to certain situations, what baiting techniqes might work in Canada or Minnesota does not necessarily mean in will work in Wisconsin or Michagin unless every one is on the same page. One of my biggest concerns is to follow the laws set forth for baiting (Wisconsin)some of you are baiting on the edge :o , becareful. I do not bait with meat but you can use it in Wisconsin prior to the season, once its cleaned up, there is a certain time period that you have to wait before you can legally hunt over it. My baiting techniques are I never bait the same treats 3 consecutive days in a row, there is competition down the road and bears do get tired of the same thing day after day so mix it up alittle. It would be like, you going to the same buffet and eating the same old thing over and over again, eventually you will get tired of it and try something different.

I did not know this. Mike, do you still stand by this?? So I can use meat pre season ?????
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:38 am

When I hunted bears in MN my go to choices were Gummie Bears/Treats, popcorn, pastries, and grease poured over the bread. I added a picture of BearScents (Bacon Concentrated Spray) to be dispersed at the site. Spray this along the bottoms of bushes or the trail and scent is spread around by the bear’s when it gets on them...especially their paws. I also included Lucky 7 Bear Bait website. This is where I picked up the Gummie Bears/Treats and they have an enormous amount of other goodies to choose from and how deep you are willing to reach into your pockets. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”