NWO Pics & Videos

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: NWO Pics & Videos

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:13 am

Second video is showing up as private...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 am

ImageImage

What a difference from one week to the next....that big sow and boar have not returned...there are other smaller bears that are now showing up. Batteries went dead on my other camera so no pictures.

Finished placing a few more stands, tough and miserable when its raining out, part of the job though. Got a tip on a big bear, private property, we are going to check out next week.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:25 am

Like most of us, my mind often wanders no matter what I am doing and is always on hunting, guiding etc. While watching a movie with my wife the other night I had to write this line down "Sometimes you have to make the wrong choices to get to the right place" so true with us hunters ;)
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:09 am

Cool stuff.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:10 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://vid1366.photobucket.com/albums/r768/NWOHUNTER/MAH00047_zpstsfyoczb.mp4[/bbvideo]

If you click on "mp4" you should be able to watch the video. This is a big Sow we call "Patch" she is over 300lbs. The shot looks great until we slowed down the footage and seen that the arrow entered in front of the chest. We tracked her the next day for 6 hours and then lost the blood trail. We assume she survived. Hopefully we will get her on camera this year, I am sure she is a little more educated.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:10 am

Mike Foss wrote:Like most of us, my mind often wanders no matter what I am doing and is always on hunting, guiding etc. While watching a movie with my wife the other night I had to write this line down "Sometimes you have to make the wrong choices to get to the right place" so true with us hunters ;)

Yea, that line is right on...
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 am

That bear was in a terrible position for a clean hit with a bow shot. Front shoulder totally covering vitals.
You can see at full speed the bear was hit in the front chest.
As an outfitter myself I would've had a talk with client.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

That bear was in a terrible position for a clean hit with a bow shot. Front shoulder totally covering vitals.
You can see at full speed the bear was hit in the front chest.
As an outfitter myself I would've had a talk with client.

I think its easy for veterans like us to see flaws in others. But reality is that a hunter without a lot of experience hunting bears often makes a mistake when excited having a bear that close. In Wisconsin, in Mikes area, you only get a tag about once every 7 years or so. Good chance it was one of the 1st bear hunts this person has been on. He/she probably already felt like crap. Having been in Mikes camp, he does a real good job of explaining where to aim, when to shoot, to be patient, etc, things that a lot of veteran hunters take for granted... I would explain what went wrong, but I would be nice about it... I live in a glass house, so I don't throw rocks...
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:20 am

Not trying to throw rocks. I know
The feeling of getting excited. Bad decision there. I'd rather see someone pass.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 am

Jim Wallner wrote:Not trying to throw rocks. I know
The feeling of getting excited. Bad decision there. I'd rather see someone pass.

agreed
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:18 am

Image I can talk to my clients until I am blue in the face but cannot decide what type of shot they will take in the heat of the moment. There probably isn't one hunter on here that has not wounded an animal or has made a bad judgment call. For every bad decision there probably is 20 good ones. Its all a part of hunting and that is how we learn from our mistakes.

After reviewing the footage I didn't even have to say a word to the hunter, he new what he did. It was unfortunate, it happens, we did every thing possible to recover that bear, even brought in a tracking dog. It does no good, when the hunter that wounds an animal, to scold, belittle or continuously council him for what he did when he already knows, and feels like a piece of crap. Privately, you tell the hunter once, explain what he could have or should have done better and move on. There emotions are punishment enough.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Mike Foss wrote:Image I can talk to my clients until I am blue in the face but cannot decide what type of shot they will take in the heat of the moment. There probably isn't one hunter on here that has not wounded an animal or has made a bad judgment call. For every bad decision there probably is 20 good ones. Its all a part of hunting and that is how we learn from our mistakes.

After reviewing the footage I didn't even have to say a word to the hunter, he new what he did. It was unfortunate, it happens, we did every thing possible to recover that bear, even brought in a tracking dog. It does no good, when the hunter that wounds an animal, to scold, belittle or continuously council him for what he did when he already knows, and feels like a piece of crap. Privately, you tell the hunter once, explain what he could have or should have done better and move on. There emotions are punishment enough.

Out of curiousity, as far as coaching, are you a leg forward boiler room guy or a middle of the middle guy? The video suggests the later.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Mike Foss wrote:Image I can talk to my clients until I am blue in the face but cannot decide what type of shot they will take in the heat of the moment. There probably isn't one hunter on here that has not wounded an animal or has made a bad judgment call. For every bad decision there probably is 20 good ones. Its all a part of hunting and that is how we learn from our mistakes.

Well said. Cool thread....as always, looking forward to following your posts.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Bass....."I like broadside leg forward". During my Question & Answer period the day before the hunt and through e-mails and updates throughout the Summer I preach broadside, broadside, broadside shots only. I absolutely hate quartering away shots, laying down shots and sitting shots.

Years ago we had to many bears wounded. Scratching my head, wondering what I could do to cut down on this situation. I went on-line and looked up other bear guide services mostly in Canada and noticed some had wounding fees, made some phone calls and talked with the owners. We decide to implement a wounding few, it worked. It makes the hunter slow down, think :think:, take there time and make the appropriate shot. We now average only one wounded bear for the season.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 am

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/d3loIJ7CDuM[/bbvideo]

These to young bears are siblings. Been watching them since they were cubs. They are 3 year olds. The Sow is the aggressor :twisted: but will eventually let him eat next to her. I am very surprised they are still hanging out together.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”