Test Bait Strategy

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Test Bait Strategy

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:39 am

From the wording of the MN, it sure sounds like "test baits" are legal, so long as they're >100 yards from hunting spot and you aren't breaking other laws, like leaving hunting items in the woods. The loophole seems to be that feeding is fine, so long as you aren't "feeding" in the same spot you'll later be placing a registered bait at. I'll be following up with the MNDNR to confirm. For those who do it or know people who do, how much stuff do you put out? Do you only put it out once or keep putting it out in areas that are hit? After doing some cyber scouting, I've found roughly 20 spots I think might make good baiting spots in different parts of the state. I also own 4 trail cams. My thoughts were to take a free weekend, and put out a "test bait" and a trail cam at four potential locations along with some scent. Then, the next free weekend I'd pull the cams and move on to four new spots. If the cam showed a bear at some point, I'd mark it successful, and unsuccessful if not. After about 4 or 5 weekends, I'd hopefully have a list of successful areas with which my hunting buddy and I could confidently begin to place actual baits, knowing that there are likely still bears using in the general area. My thoughts on food would be something like a gallon of cracked corn and molasses covered with "crack", Cam Hanes smelly recipe of molten marshmellows, jello mix, and other sweets. It sticks to trees well and smells quite strong. Even if squirrels and coons pick away at the solid stuff, that scent would remain in the area a while.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Test Bait Strategy

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:59 am

I just go up, scout for a long weekend, find the 3 spots I think have the most potential ( your allowed 3 baits in MN) and cut my logs, set up my bait and let it cool down till baiting season starts... Then bait all three. If one ain't producing, I go to a back up spot... This works real well... Test baits in the mannor your talking won't help much in my opinion, cause most baits will get hit by bears, and at 1st it will be at night, and unlessw you actually bait the spots with a good amount of bait and monitor it for a couple weeks, you really can't be positive it will or won't work.
Also, bait placement can be a huge factor, it needs to be ion the right spot (in my opinion) and being 100 or more yards from that "spot" can get differing results.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:44 am

Prepping any bait site before the opening day of baiting, is illegal.. That means cutting logs, shooting lanes etc.... Test baits if you move from original location the distance the law requires before legal baiting begings you are fine.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 am

Prepping any bait site before the opening day of baiting, is illegal.. That means cutting logs, shooting lanes etc....

Did not know that... Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”