Bear Hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
shelly

Bear Hunting

Unread postby shelly » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi.

I am Shelly.

For a long time I was married to a bag guy and after my divorce was finalized I decided to make a bucket list full of things to help build confidence and help find who I am, after a very long, very bad marriage.

On that list is hunting a bear and scaling a peak.

I am not a prissy little girl, I know that much. I am fit, a naturalist so to speak. I loved to climb in the palo duro canyon in my earlier days, and learned alot about nature, always enjoyed camping and out doors etc.

I want to take it to the next level and I am a go big or go home kind of lady.

So far, I am have been researching the terriain, learning how to build in the snow (because I'll be doing this in the mountains in Colorado), and researching bear behaviors and all of the survivalist stuff I might need to know. But to be honest, most of it is stuff I already knew.

I am hoping for next fall - if I can get every thing together by then.

This will be my first hunting trip, so I'll be needing advice on supplies, time frames, bear behavior, etc.

So far, the first question I have is:

Is an AK47 going to be able to make the kill if skillfully shot?
Ive looked at the 30ot 6s and they seem a bit heavy for me. As a matter of fact, I was discussing gun care with a friend at one point and he set his 30 ot 6 in my lap and while I could hold it up, it was still quite heavy and bulky for my figure. and I think that if I am going to be hunting a bear, I'll be needing to have something I can work with. I am small, about 5'5 150 lbs, soaking wet.

Ive seen some women online holding ak's and they seem to be the right fit. Although I did see an AR 15 and that might also be good. Now, I can handle the kick, no problem with any gun, but I am seeing it like this. If I am out in the woods hunting a bear and that thing charges at me, I am going to need to get to my gun easily and quickly. I won't have time to fumble with a gun that is too large for my structure. I've also looked at bear anatomy, and hope to be
far away, but if you are in the woods hunting bears you may come across one at the wrong time too - especially going into their territory.

So i'll need help choosing the proper fire arm.
I can shoot and aim - that's no big deal. I have had several handguns over the course of my life. . . .but I am just not sure what to get that would be best for the bear. (9's 22s standard shotguns) I know about gun safety and how to operate and handle firearms.

I was also thinking that carrying a can of mace with me would make it retreat if it got too close and say I choked and couldnt do it. I have never been hunting, and would never hurt a fly. . . .afraid I might not be able to do it once I get there, or say if i ran across a bear (or other game) in the woods and didn't have time to get to my gun or anything else.
What do you guys think about that?

I'll also need advice about supplies and time frames and what to plan for, and also about the precision of the shot. Where would be the best place, if you are in a prime position - or up close in personal (just in case).

I understand this is going to be a big task, especially my first time out. But I would like to ask people who know, so I am not out unsafely in bear territory. I just feel like it's something I have to do, in order to fully appreciate who I am, and I think it will help me get over other fears.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Shelly

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear Hunting

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:34 am

If the AK-47 is in the common .223 caliber I would not use it for bear... If you have the heavier .308 bullet, I would say its fine. I think the 30-06 is a fine gun for bear, if your buying one you could just buy a smaller lighter one. Light guns kick more though.
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:35 am

shelly wrote:Is an AK47 going to be able to make the kill if skillfully shot?
Ive looked at the 30ot 6s and they seem a bit heavy for me. As a matter of fact, I was discussing gun care with a friend at one point and he set his 30 ot 6 in my lap and while I could hold it up, it was still quite heavy and bulky for my figure. and I think that if I am going to be hunting a bear, I'll be needing to have something I can work with. I am small, about 5'5 150 lbs, soaking wet.

I might think about trying a 30/30. I think they have a little more punch which is a nice thing and are a little shorter. My wife killed her first bear this year using a 30/06. What I did to help her was put a gun rest in the blind so she could have the gun set up and when a bear came in she was pretty much ready to go.

shelly wrote:I'll also need advice about supplies and time frames and what to plan for, and also about the precision of the shot. Where would be the best place, if you are in a prime position - or up close in personal (just in case).

A lot depend on where you plan on hunting. All the states have different laws regarding season dates and times, baiting time frames, and tag availability. Do you want to hunt over bait?

shelly wrote:I was also thinking that carrying a can of mace with me would make it retreat if it got too close and say I choked and couldnt do it. I have never been hunting, and would never hurt a fly. . . .afraid I might not be able to do it once I get there, or say if i ran across a bear (or other game) in the woods and didn't have time to get to my gun or anything else.
What do you guys think about that?

They make a large can of "mace" designed for bears which can easily be found on-line. In my humble opinion to be a true hunter/conservationist you need a heart for what you are going after. To me hunting and killing an animal can be a really pure experience.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
shelly

Unread postby shelly » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:11 am

I was on the phone with my dad and he tried to explain hunting licenses in a nutshell to me.
He explained that it may be sort of a pool, and I may not be chosen when I apply for a hunting license, for big game like a bear? I am not sure he knows either - He is not a gun owner, so he cannot go hunting.

I am assuming it is for conservation of animals?

And, if this is the case, how long can i prepare to wait?

Any advice?
shelly

Unread postby shelly » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:19 am

U.P. bownut wrote:
They make a large can of "mace" designed for bears which can easily be found on-line. In my humble opinion to be a true hunter/conservationist you need a heart for what you are going after. To me hunting and killing an animal can be a really pure experience.

I thought i had replied to this already - I am looking for that pure experience.

I was heavily abused in a marriage after my ex got brain damage he became very violent. He is still keeping my daughter from me, which I plan to get back with me as soon as court goes through. He tried to kill me and was so controlling I couldnt even be in our joint bank account for the last 4 years of our marriage. When I left, he stalked my house so intently that he could predict when I would leave and disable my car, setting me up for failure, leaving me with no job, and ultimately his hope was to make me homeless so I would lose my kids. That never happened and i ended up getting a restraining order on him (finally, after one cop believed me) . . .he had a way with words and would tell the cops that I did all the damage to my own face. *sigh.

Anyway, my dad asked when we were on the phone why? And I said that even after all this time I am still afraid, even though I hate to admit it. If I can go out into the wilderness and hunt one of the biggest beastly animals in the country, then maybe I finally won't be afraid anymore.

And hunting is good practice, as a naturalist - it is good to know how to get your own food from nature if you so need to.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 am

Have you thought of hunting with an outfitter or are you looking for a 100percent DIY experience? Reason being it may be easier to get a non resident tag through a licensed outfitter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
shelly

Unread postby shelly » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:30 am

PLB wrote:Have you thought of hunting with an outfitter or are you looking for a 100percent DIY experience? Reason being it may be easier to get a non resident tag through a licensed outfitter.

I was hoping to find a guide (do I need to look up outfitter?)

It is more about the experience, and not necessarily what I bring back with me. I wouldnt mind that, and i will look into it.

I'd like my dad to go with me but he has a super old felony from his early days and cannot own a gun, so I was wondering about that too. If he could come w/o a license as long as he didn't make the shot?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:18 am

shelly wrote:
PLB wrote:Have you thought of hunting with an outfitter or are you looking for a 100percent DIY experience? Reason being it may be easier to get a non resident tag through a licensed outfitter.

It is more about the experience, and not necessarily what I bring back with me. I wouldnt mind that, and i will look into it.

I'd like my dad to go with me but he has a super old felony from his early days and cannot own a gun, so I was wondering about that too. If he could come w/o a license as long as he didn't make the shot?

I would look into a reputable bear hunting outfitter for Colorado. Contact them and ask them to provide you with references from past clients. If they decline they are not an outfitter you want to hunt with. No reason why your Dad can't come along for the hunt. As long as he doesn't have a license or firearm.. Keep us posted..

Obsession Bows
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:02 am

Maybe you should do some small game hunting first....just to be sure you are able to pull the trigger on a living, breathing, cute and furry animal. No sarcasm meant here. When it comes down to it, some just aren't able to do it.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:54 am

matt1336 wrote:Maybe you should do some small game hunting first....just to be sure you are able to pull the trigger on a living, breathing, cute and furry animal. No sarcasm meant here. When it comes down to it, some just aren't able to do it.

Good point...

Obsession Bows
shelly

Unread postby shelly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 am

matt1336 wrote:Maybe you should do some small game hunting first....just to be sure you are able to pull the trigger on a living, breathing, cute and furry animal. No sarcasm meant here. When it comes down to it, some just aren't able to do it.

Put some dogs out of their misery and helped with prarrie dog population and rabbits before. . . .not necessarily hunting, but I can.

But that is why I think I need to not go alone.
shelly

Unread postby shelly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 am

bears are not cute. they are wild dangerous animals.

I understand completely the seriousness of being near one and the ferocity of wild animals.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:33 pm

Bear hunting is a hard task... They are elusive secretive animals that leave few signs of where they are, or have been. It takes most hunters many years to master them, and most got guidance at 1st... Black bears are not as dangerous as some make them out to be. They are timid and very scared of humans. I have hunted them for many years and seen lots of them. The only time one has ever caused me grief is when it was accidently cornered while wounded.

To dive in with no supervision would be a tough task that would likely end with poor results... Thats not to say you should not do it that way, after all, we all hunt for different reasons and its not always just to kill... But, if getting a bear is important to you, and learning how to do it yourself in the future, you need a mentor or guide/outfitter to show you the ropes...

Personally, I do see bears as cute fuzzy creatures ;) I always feel sorry for the ones I shoot.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:41 am

shelly wrote:

Lots of good advice above. After many years of hunting I am going to try for a bear this year as well for my first time. Lots to learn for sure. Last year 240 bear were taken in my state so it can be a formidable task. In my state I have the option of using a rifle, revolver, or crossbow. I am still undecided on what I will use. If I use a rifle I will use my 30-30 lever gun. It is a little on the light side for bear but I won't be taking 100 yard shots. I like to be up close; it is part of the challenge for me.

Your dad can may not be able to use a firearm but he can hunt them with archery gear, including a crossbow in some states. Many black bear are taken with archery gear across the country every year.

Good luck. I hope that you connect with the bear of your dreams.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”