How far away.....

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: How far away.....

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:03 am

Hodag,

I'm just going off of my experiences where I hunt. Hunting pressure by me Is about as high as It can get so maybe where you are you could get away with the trail cam on the down wind circle trail. I know It would change up the bears pattern where I hunt and more then likely push him 100% nocturnal.

martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:00 am

Most of my stands are set up for a 12-18yd shot. I like to set up stands that limit the bears ability to circle downwind. Many times stand platform height is 15 feet to the ground off the front and maybe twice that much or more if you stepped off the back side of the same tree. I have one bow / pistol stand set for 6 yds every year for a hunter that wants the extra rush of the hunt up close and personal. Had a long bow hunter take a 275# out of that stand in '09 and a 220# bow kill out of the same tree this past September 12th. I place many of my bow stands on the edge of thick cover where the bear feels comfortable getting in close to the bait to sent check it, there are many considerations when hunting this close to a bait but very exciting to be right on top of the bear. The stand needs to be comfortable and the hunter needs to understand that he needs to have very limited movement on stand not only to limit any hunter noise but to keep down hunter scent dispersal while sitting this close to a baitsite. With these kind of stands the bear can be 10 yds from the stand without the hunter ever knowing he is /was there. What a rush !!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 pm

martin peters wrote:I have one bow / pistol stand set for 6 yds every year for a hunter that wants the extra rush of the hunt up close and personal. Had a long bow hunter take a 275# out of that stand in '09 and a 220# bow kill out of the same tree this past September 12th.

That's my idea of an exciting hunt, Martin. You'd definitely want a hunter that had the ability to sit still enough to keep from blowing it before a shot opportunity presented itself, no small feat. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 am

My bear last year I was hunting a bait that was about 20 yards from the bait. Got the bear when he circled cause he caught the crosswind and smelled the bait without getting down wind of me... The bear before that one, I had my scent blowing out over a clear cut I knew the bears wouldn't / couldn't circle.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 am

Schultzy wrote:[glow=red]A bears eye sight Is nothing special[/glow] so creating shooting lanes won't be a problem at all. I bet I can think of at least 40 different hunts where I had bear with In 20 yards of me circling that I never saw but always heard. I believe they circle much closer then people think. 2 days before I shot my bear this year I had a bear circle me with In 30 yards. I never saw It but I heard him from time to time circling me. As soon as he hit my wind he flew out of there with his on fire!! By the sounds of his muffed/padded running he was a big SOB.
I very much so have to take this back (the part I bolded out). Since I made this post in 2010 (the above post) I've been spotted more in the tree by bear then ever. I've learned their eye sight along with their hearing is as good as they want it to be. They seem to hear and see what they want at times. I have a whole new respect for these 2 senses also now.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 pm

A bears eyesight is fine. It's even better at lowlight. Part of the reason they pick you out in the trees is because they're sitting back in the brush surveying the area and they pick the slightest movement out the hunter makes..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 pm

I put camo netting around ladder stands and I try to cut minimal shooting lanes and create a hole to shoot through.

One way to beat a bears hearing is give them something super crunchy to eat.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I had one come in a few years ago that I was not interested in shooting at 1st... He came in from down wind as usual and I was hunting a cross win d so he never caught me and I was about 25 yards from the bait and up pretty high. He really surprised me when while he was eating he glanced in my direction and you could see him take a double take and then lock on me visually. He then acted nervous and still legged walked out of sight. Then I watched and heard him do a big wide circle till he was straight down wind. Then he started woofing from down wind. A short time later with darkness approaching he came back and I thought he was going to the bait but he walked right past the bait straight at me staring at me then stopped 10 yards from the tree and laid down staring at me.
I was in a pine tree and pretty well camouflaged.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:27 am

Their sixth sense is unreal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”