Make em Hungry

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Re: Make em Hungry

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:46 pm

For what it’s worth here’s my 2 cents.

I’ve tried both methods and have been successful with both. I still use both methods depending on the hunting situation. This season I have a MN bear tag and will be hunting DIY, but I live in the UP, so I have no choice but to do bomber bait runs once a week and put out as much bait as I can.

But given the option, I think baiting with less bait more frequently like Mike is an advocate for is superior in getting bigger bears out in daylight more frequently. But I think it’s an art that a lot of people don’t understand how to do properly.

In my experience, I’ve found that if you bait every day, same time consistently, and put out enough bait to keep bears in food till about midnight, but then it runs out, you can train the bears to come out earlier, just like a dog. You have to have enough bears coming in to create competition, and you have to really study your trail cameras. Because if you’re running out of bait by 9pm, they won’t stick around long. I’ve found 5-10 gallons a day is the right amount.

The problem with this is it’s a big time commitment and most of us can’t put in the time to do this method properly (nowadays this includes myself)

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:52 am

Bear Magnum wrote:For what it’s worth here’s my 2 cents.

I’ve tried both methods and have been successful with both. I still use both methods depending on the hunting situation. This season I have a MN bear tag and will be hunting DIY, but I live in the UP, so I have no choice but to do bomber bait runs once a week and put out as much bait as I can.

But given the option, I think baiting with less bait more frequently like Mike is an advocate for is superior in getting bigger bears out in daylight more frequently. But I think it’s an art that a lot of people don’t understand how to do properly.

In my experience,I’ve found that if you bait every day, same time consistently, and put out enough bait to keep bears in food till about midnight, but then it runs out, you can train the bears to come out earlier, just like a dog. You have to have enough bears coming in to create competition, and you have to really study your trail cameras. Because if you’re running out of bait by 9pm, they won’t stick around long. I’ve found 5-10 gallons a day is the right amount.

The problem with this is it’s a big time commitment and most of us can’t put in the time to do this method properly (nowadays this includes myself)

You and I also found that the type of bait used doesn't always work as well as it did in other areas (Your state). It was interesting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:26 am

Raccoons are like little bears... I feed some that hang around my yard. If I put out a large quantity they hang around, but come in at night. If I give tjem a small quantity tjey wander off, but if I give them a large quantity, and a few special small threats like cookies they get competative for the treat, and stay cause tje food dont run out... Its to the point now I shake tje Buckel and they come running
20210624_165824.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”