Do you eat bear meat?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Do you eat bear meat?

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:20 am

natvbearhntr wrote:I have only taken one bear but I did not care for the taste of the meat. It actually made me sick. I can eat the summer sausage and hot sticks but for some reason roasts and steaks are not for me. I think I cared for the bear properly, he was in a cooler within 2 hours harvesting it. The shop I went to messed up my sausage by not puttting enough cure in the meat but I have had other peoples bear sausage and it was very good.

Was there any fat on the roasts / steaks ?

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 am

yep!! :L:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 am

I love bear meat. Last one I killed I lost over half the meat when my freezer died without me noticing.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:59 am

Bear roast = Oven bag with potatoes, vegies, onion...seasons @ 350/400 degrees to "done"

Couldnt be any better!!!
RJR-007
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

Personally- not a fan at all. Only thing I have had worse is October rutting Caribou- which I found uneatable. I have taken a couple black bear and did not care for the taste of either. One was taken in the BWCA and the other was bait fed.

Probably, one of the main reasons I don't have a ton of interest in shooting many more.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Dor wrote:Personally- not a fan at all. Only thing I have had worse is October rutting Caribou- which I found uneatable. I have taken a couple black bear and did not care for the taste of either. One was taken in the BWCA and the other was bait fed.

Probably, one of the main reasons I don't have a ton of interest in shooting many more.
I'll send you a package. Better yet, I'll deliver one personally so we can drink Stumps beer. :D A win win situation. :D
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 am

Schultzy wrote:
Dor wrote:Personally- not a fan at all. Only thing I have had worse is October rutting Caribou- which I found uneatable. I have taken a couple black bear and did not care for the taste of either. One was taken in the BWCA and the other was bait fed.

I'll send you a package. Better yet, I'll deliver one personally so we can drink Stumps beer. :D A win win situation. :D

Sounds good Steve. I will cook that up for you two and drink Stumps beer with my elk loin. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:47 pm

The time I tried it I didn't like it much but It was a year old and and the cook wasn't exactly great. I would love to try it handled and cooked right especially after reading some of these posts. :L:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I have never tried bear meat but I am about a preference point away from it! I will certainly give it a go, should be good, they eat a lot of berries and such.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I have never tried bear meat but I am about a preference point away from it! I will certainly give it a go, should be good, they eat a lot of berries and such.

Come hunting with me!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”