fear of bears. Can anyone give me some advice?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Crazinamatese

Re: fear of bears. Can anyone give me some advice?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks everyone for the input. Im not deathly afraid of them. But in back of my mind there is that thought that I will get into trouble with one. I still get way back in the woods, just with more alertness. I guess its safe to say its kinda a phobia. I thought about the pepper spray. The one thing I hate about it is that it works both ways real quick in the wrong wind. Pepper spray permeates, depending on the OC level, it can suck real bad if Im subdued by my own non-lethal self defense weapon either by me spraying it, or it going off on its own. I have seen that happen. Its actually kinda funny.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
jon

Unread postby jon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

I ran across plenty of bears and cats they've all been more scared of me than anything else. I wouldn't worry bout them. I worry more about snakes than anything else.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Good to have a plan Crazinamatese. When I took my daughter (who was 3 at the time) baiting with me for the first time, I also had a plan. It was me and my hunting partner Eddie, Ellie and his wife Marge going in to bait. Because I would not take my daughter to a bait station and continue to stay married, without convincing my wife I had a plan.

At this time, we believed they were coming in at all times of day and/or night. Marge had pepper spray and I had a 10mm. We were fortunate to view a bear during this time. It circled us while we baited and disappeared. There was no fear, and nothing bad happened.

And, thanks for your service and your honesty. I have a very healthy respect for all wild animals
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 am

I think the animal to fear most in the wilderness, is the same one we fear in the city. People are far more dangerous and unpredictable than any animal...
Get yourself a CCW permit and pack heat. Probably never have to use it, but the peace of mind will allow you to hunt longer, and go into areas that being nervous may have discouraged you in the past...
The biggest issue I see with a fear of bears is that your not going to walk out of the deep woods or swamps after dark... Put a big gun in your belt if it makes you feel more at ease. You need to concentrate on killing big bucks and bears, and you won't be if your worrying about being attacked. Do whatever you need to do to over come your fear.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 am

dan wrote:I think the animal to fear most in the wilderness, is the same one we fear in the city. People are far more dangerous and unpredictable than any animal...
Get yourself a CCW permit and pack heat. Probably never have to use it, but the peace of mind will allow you to hunt longer, and go into areas that being nervous may have discouraged you in the past...
The biggest issue I see with a fear of bears is that your not going to walk out of the deep woods or swamps after dark... Put a big gun in your belt if it makes you feel more at ease. You need to concentrate on killing big bucks and bears, and you won't be if your worrying about being attacked. Do whatever you need to do to over come your fear.

I use a holster to carry my sidearm. And it helps. I like to get in and out of the woods with enough light to see too. Thats for mostly safety with exiting, entering stands, not being mistaken for a game animal by another hunter ( I do use a flashlight but there are also alot of trigger happy idiots out there), and my clumsy self not rolling my already fragile ankles in the dark. I have had no problem during rifle season with this phobia obviously because Im equipped with a giant rifle that launches giant bullets. :D Bow season and spring scouting is different for some reason.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”