Am I thinking straight?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Am I thinking straight?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:29 am

I've been trying to hunt this piece of public ground for 2 years now. Haven't harvested a buck out of it yet. Almost the entire property is loaded with oaks, with other hardwoods mixed in. So food is abundant and the deer constantly wander and acorns go to waste. It's also loaded with hunters. The terrain is hilly, with small swamp sections and a few cattail marshes mixed in. Seems like the wind is always shifting and swirling which also makes it really hard to hunt. With those three strikes against me, I'm wondering if it's even worth trying? Still, there is some pretty good sign that I've come across. And the neighbors say that rarely do they see the dozens of other hunters take anything out of there besides an occasional doe. I just know there are big deer in here.

So, over the past few months I've re-scouted and reanalyzed the picture and have a new plan for what I've divided into three sections. In the topo below you can see how things are laid out. Some of my stands will be early, some prerut, some rut, some late, some gun, based on sign. All of my stand sites (except for the one next to the #2 in Section #2) are located in heavy cover. They are almost all lower (terrain-wise) than I would like to hunt them. But with the other hunters hunting the tops of the hills, all of the heavy buck traffic, including rub lines and perennial scrapes, is located in these areas of dense cover. I just can't see bucks showing themselves in the open woods during daylight with the pressure that this property gets. I think I'll just have to be extra careful and try to use the thermals to my advantage.

So bring on the criticism, and let me know what you would do differently. Which stands would you use and when, which would you avoid, and why? What areas am I overlooking? Or would you just avoid this piece all together because of the negatives? Thanks guys!

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Am I thinking straight?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm

This updated picture lists the points of interest by number and ID's the open field to the East as a grazing field for cattle.
Hope that helps.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Could one of the forum managers please move this to the Land Management forum? Sorry 'bout that!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 am

Guess this post was a little too much for anyone to take a stab at :lol: :lol: :lol: . I realize that it's a lot to try and analyze.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 am

Bump it a few times. I'm not much of a map readed. I'm more hands on. I know Dan has had a lot on his plate with the shows and all. I'm sure he or someone else will take a closer look when they get a chance. I guess I would say get close to bedding and have a good understanding of the wind and thermals and have a go at it. Get in there this time of year and watch how the wind and thermals work for every wind direction. I got my first taste of hunting thermals last year and it was a learning experience. I found places that were impossible to hunt because of swirling wind. I got busted because of thermals kicking in after I was set up. Do your homework early and use those things in your favor if you can. I agree with you moving in close to the thick stuff.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks Magic! That's an excellent point on sitting right now in some of the spots I think are going to produce to try and gauge the thermal activity. I was just planning on hunting them either early morning before the thermals start moving up or late PM when they are dropping. I think I'll try and do one sit on each spot with the wind that I plan on hunting it on and see what happens with the thermals.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:08 am

Dan had a great idea about using milkweed silk to watch air flow. This would be great for what you are going to do. Sit and let a few of them go every so often and watch where they go. In the valleys the wind does crazy things and watching those milkweeds will give you a great idea where to set up. Sometimes moving over just a little bit can make the difference.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 am

One of the public areas I hunt is very similar to this property. The bucks don't bed much there on the traditional hill points cause of the pressure up there. Nor do the big ones cruise up there much in daylight with the constant human pressure. But the hunters do see huge rubs from night time activity, and do see plenty of 1 1/2 year old bucks cruising. I have done very well there by hunting low. I think I would walk the entire swamp and edge and find the low buck bedding. I think your missing some that is in the interior of the swamps. I would definitely have a set up or two south of the swamp in section #1 along the transition line.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:28 pm

magicman54494 wrote:watching those milkweeds will give you a great idea where to set up

Very good point again magic. Thanks for the reminder!
dan wrote:I would definitely have a set up or two south of the swamp in section #1 along the transition line.

I think you're right Dan, there is probably bedding in that spot. Unfortunately, that section (between the field, cart road and the stream closest to the field) is posted and I don't have permission to hunt it. I will try and get into the swamp a bit more and check things out. But it looks like the majority of travel is right along that transition line.
dan wrote:One of the public areas I hunt is very similar to this property...I have done very well there by hunting low.

That gives me a huge confidence boost. I'm going to follow up on magic's suggestions and try to get a handle on the wind patterns and thermals and see if I can successfully hunt it.
Thanks for the feedback and tips you guys!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”