How would you attack this

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

How would you attack this

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I have got a good year of long distance binoc observation under my belt and 3 years of physical scouting, so I can post maps/notes with: bedding areas, food plots and stand sights (etc). But am a lot more curious to see what you guys felt would be hot spots for beds, stands, buck movement and plots.

The total is 320 acres (inside red lines) with high hunting pressure surround this ground espceially on the s and e sides. Neighbors to the west hunt hard but smart. Corn to the south, alfalfa to the west, oats and corn to the north east. This ground is app 45% native grasses,30% dogwood/brush,10% woods, 10% plots, & 5% swamp. No real activity on it beyond grasses behind mowed onve a year and deer hunting. Predominant wind is coming from the sw. Access is the perimeter with some interior trails.

Will answer any questions you have.

Thanks

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: How would you attack this

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 am

where is north on the map? Also, how high are the grasses? Any pictures of property on the ground?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 am

Really hard to tell from that map... But I would say the North east, and N/W corners both look like good bedding cover. Actually, all the corners interest me... If the grass is high enough, and the deer are not harassed to bad, I would expect some bedding along the timber grass transition.
Dogwood usually holds some buck bedding. Where is the dogwood located?
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 am

It falls in two different counties and for whatever reason it makes it next to impossible to get a good aerial. Sorry. The attached one is a few years old- hence the discrepencies of th grass outline and visible dogwood.

north is the top

the grasses in the summer are 3-4' high and thick. Unless deer have their heads up in an alert position theyre basically invisible in it. It is used as bedding and browse late spring- early winter. Will look for a pic to post

The different types of cover are labeled. The S is a sanctuary we have had for years but basically we only hunt the edges now with some intrusion into the western woods; am rut hunts only.

two small creeks and a couple of small ponds adjacent- can add if you want. lots of old tractor ruts that fil in so water is all over

the brush adjacent to the western woods is super thick at the wood edges and gets thinner as you get a few hundred yards out. At the woods it is 6-7' high dogwood briars and early successional trees...it gets grassy as you get outward.

the swamps are grassy cattail areas but nothing like what you discuss in marsh bucks

the old rr bed has a fair amount of quad traffic on the west side. my dad rides his ranger around the property edges, sometimes within, on maybe a bi weekly basis; he is a non hunter and only zooms around to ensure our ground is safe. the top rr is active and sees a good amount of train traffic. it is about 10-15' higher than the farm ground. an old apple orchard is behind the houses on the north (and noted).

all hunter entry is on foot with wind in face or blowing off our ground. woods am, staging/food pm. a lot of permanent stands but use climbers and rapid (lw) setups too. have a couple good observation stands as well.

plots are noted in pink. the C&B plot and neighboring ag areas are listed as such.

(again) pressure everywhere during gun to the south and east. some smarter hunters west and nw. due north is a busy highway and lots of homes. this road has 10-15 cars per hour- some spotlighting during fall.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm

do i need better pics?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 am

Its hard to determine buck bedding based on that map... One thing I firmly believe is that "sanctuaries" keep you from killing certain bucks... Not saying you should be in there all the time, but a few strategic attempts to kill the bedroom occupants is somewhat necessary in order to kill mature bucks on a regular basis if you ask me...
I would have to do some on ground scouting in order to hunt this property.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:33 am

I think I was too passive and never got into those bedding areas, or into the interior enough to kill much of anything. Was acting reactionary and stuck in that observation state. Looking back it was a "duh" season; just didnt get inside enough. Too afriad of scaring bucks out but never close enough to kill them :roll:

the firts pic is my day after seaosn scouting for beds and travel. found a few matuure buck beds.

next pic should eb some stands we have there. had 26 out last year so some are missing, primarliy from the east side of the road.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:36 am

pic 1 (central green circle) was littered with good rubs like this- big 4.5 yo 10

pic 2 is stands

pic 3 shows confirmed buck beds with travel corridors having what we felt were mature buck tracks 5.5" or better

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”