frost seeding

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

frost seeding

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Anyone have luck w/ frost seeding clover?

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: frost seeding

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Clover is pretty difficult to establish, but I know my Father has done some frost seeding with a broadcast seeder and it established itself in about a year. The thing is if you are trying to frost seed s small plot(under an acre) you will not get very good germination and it will be spotty at best. You're better off direct seeding it if you want a full and lush stand.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Lungbuster is right, it's a little late to frost seed. Frost seeding like it's name implies, use the freeze/thaw action to work the seed into the ground. You probably won't get enough cycles to work the seed in. Feb or early march is a good time, when the ground is still frozen and you get those days where the top gets smeary. That said, you would still be able to plant it conventionally if you can prep a seed bed. If this is an area you can till, wait til the moisture level allows you to work it. Then plant it. Make sure you fertilize for best results.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 am

I threw some seed down during the beginning of MArch on a clover plot that will need to be turned over next year. I was trying to get another good year out of it....We'll see how it takes.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 am

matt1336 wrote:I threw some seed down during the beginning of MArch on a clover plot that will need to be turned over next year. I was trying to get another good year out of it....We'll see how it takes.

Could work then. You got nothing to lose, as you plan on tilling it next year anyway.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:49 am

Good time of the year for frost seeding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:18 am

I have frost seeded white Dutch clover right into the thick carpet of sod. Came back in mid May with a grass specific herbicide clethodium. Clover came in great and killed all the grass. Food plot with only a seed spreader and 4 gallon back pack sprayer
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:12 am

Good info. Thanks for sharing. While most aren’t thinking food and plot this time of the year, now can be good for frost seeding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:15 pm

I have had good luck frost seeding clovers, mostly. There are likely others that could work, but clovers are suited for my soil conditions.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 am

Still too much snow up here to frost seed but I’ll be doing it once I can see the soil.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:22 am

Alot of people frost seed on the snow so they can see where they have seeded. Frost seeding has worked pretty good in my cattle pasture.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”