How often do you lime?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

How often do you lime?

Unread postby Elite » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 am

I spread 800# of lime last spring per soil test recommendations. Do I add additional lime this year or wait another year or two and then do another soil test to determine the lime amount to spread? The brassica and chicory plot turned out to be a great transition plot last year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: How often do you lime?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 am

If you did what the soil test said to do then you don't have to lime again this year. Probably not for a couple years. If the test didn't say how often to test then a call to the soil lab wouldn't hurt. Ask them when you should test again. You can usually go at least 3 years. Maybe 5 or 6. Different soil types lose their pH faster than others so the lab can look at soil type and give you a good idea.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
EarlyBird

Unread postby EarlyBird » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:21 am

I soil test every year and add lime according to my soil test and target PH. Different types of soil, clay or sandy utilize lime at a much different rate. It may be a bit of overkill to do it every year but my plots are very productive. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Ray
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:15 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:If you did what the soil test said to do then you don't have to lime again this year. Probably not for a couple years. If the test didn't say how often to test then a call to the soil lab wouldn't hurt. Ask them when you should test again. You can usually go at least 3 years. Maybe 5 or 6. Different soil types lose their pH faster than others so the lab can look at soil type and give you a good idea.

What he said. Also different lime has different release rates and longevity. If the soil is pretty acidic then you may need to do it every year till you get it right. Once you do like Deerslayer said you can usually go several years in between. Soil test is really the only way to know for sure.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 am

I talked to the manager at the soil testing company. He said the lime application isn’t necessary until year 2/3. I’ll skip this spring and wait until spring 2022.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Also, lime takes a while (1yr+) so if you test this spring it wont be broken down yet, and I feel like some of that lime gets in your sample a skews your test results. Wait at least 2 years, probably 3 before testing again.
mobymikeguide

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:15 am

All soils and sitautions are different there is no one size fits all answer. Different soils have different buffering capacities. If the 800lbs you added was based on a good test and recomendation, id retest in 2-3 years. Lime is cheap and most places offer just a ph test, id go that route instead of test strips. Ive seen some guys add a few hundred lbs thinking there doing some good when in reality they needed 10,000lbs to make a difference. Another case is people add lime and dont need to, then you can hurt yourself by making nutrients less available.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:44 am

As mentioned, totally soil dependent. The CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) will determine how frequent and heavy the lime apps will need to be. CEC of 0-2 is considered Low. I believe you want around 5-10 but don’t quote me here.

Layman’s terms, higher CEC (organic matter, clay soils) the less frequent. Lower CEC (sand soil) the more frequent.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:57 am

I’ll be testing again this spring. I’m hoping that I won’t need another 800# but we’ll see.
Swamp Beast

Unread postby Swamp Beast » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:49 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”