Improvement/ Hunting Advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Improvement/ Hunting Advice

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:02 am

Hey everyone, I could use some help! Thanks to all who wish to advise. I am looking for any input that might make the most of hunting our property (and the surrounding area). On our place, I am open to cutting trees, adding watering holes, adding food sources (including potential small food plots) to improve the land and retain deer. I have on camera a couple of nice bucks moving around the 2/3 and up area, and there are at least 2 doe groups I see moving about the area.
We live in a bottom , and there is a creek that runs in front of the house to the E/NE, as well as a small creek that runs along the N/NW side.
We are in blue,the neighboring 2 properties along the ridge in red. Everything south is Federal land, and to the east is a WMA, across the road.
There is a bench that runs along the 2/3 elevation, and another that runs along the 1/3 elevation.
Screenshot_20201220-111248.png

On the road that runs to the West, at the higher elevation, there are many ag fields just to the South of this picture. They were in beans this year.
Screenshot_20201220-112403.png

Thanks again, Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Improvement/ Hunting Advice

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 am

A better contour map
Screenshot_20201220-120927.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:32 am

You have a point perfect for N/NW wind bedding. Make improvements up there so it can have multiple beds. Then try to be the first secure evening meal.
My hillside acts similar and does come to our backyard first thing in the evening and stop by on the way to bed in the morning. I filled a water trough this year and have confirmed water is a draw also.
Looks like a place that could be really good within the limitations of specific winds.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:You have a point perfect for N/NW wind bedding. Make improvements up there so it can have multiple beds. Then try to be the first secure evening meal.
My hillside acts similar and does come to our backyard first thing in the evening and stop by on the way to bed in the morning. I filled a water trough this year and have confirmed water is a draw also.
Looks like a place that could be really good within the limitations of specific winds.

That point and leading to the north does have the best sign. Last year was torn up with rubs and a couple of good scrapes. Just past that point going down the ridge is a cemetery ( you can see the clearing in the top map), and I see a lot of tracks along that transition.

What type of improvements would you do specifically up there?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Try to get more ideas than just mine but attempt to make preferred buck bedding. A few desirable traits are:

Visibility downhill
Thick brush, logs or vegetation to lay against on the uphill Hinge cut maybe or move downfall
Placement on the military crest
Common wind to back events during hunting season/ N or NW winds in your situation
Ability to monitor doe activity/downwind from bedding or feeding. Might be happening for you
Lack of human disturbance
Or lack of human disturbance when winds could have him bedded there. Do what you need to on other wind days like S/ SE
Provide a seasonal food source close by that is prime when he would be bedding. Brassica or winter wheat makes more sense than soybeans that will brown out early
Subtle trail adjustments leading to kill zones. Move limbs away from path or add waist high obstructions as needed. Subtle, SUBTLE changes and only where they are already traveling.
If oaks are keeping him from moving in daylight, consider cutting them down. Dan has mentioned this and might be too extreme for some.

Dan has said a property will only have as many big bucks as it has bedding for them. That leads me to believe lots of downfall and hinge cutting along the crest would be a winter project. Thick would be the goal. Setting up a food source would be springtime work. Maybe your family wants a few apple trees in the yard to compliment the food plots.

Also plan where you can kill with minimal disturbance. One hunt in a sensitive spot could do some damage. Thermals will limit choices also.

You have a great structure to start with. Have fun and good luck.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:17 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Try to get more ideas than just mine but attempt to make preferred buck bedding. A few desirable traits are:

Visibility downhill
Thick brush, logs or vegetation to lay against on the uphill Hinge cut maybe or move downfall
Placement on the military crest
Common wind to back events during hunting season/ N or NW winds in your situation
Ability to monitor doe activity/downwind from bedding or feeding. Might be happening for you
Lack of human disturbance
Or lack of human disturbance when winds could have him bedded there. Do what you need to on other wind days like S/ SE
Provide a seasonal food source close by that is prime when he would be bedding. Brassica or winter wheat makes more sense than soybeans that will brown out early
Subtle trail adjustments leading to kill zones. Move limbs away from path or add waist high obstructions as needed. Subtle, SUBTLE changes and only where they are already traveling.
If oaks are keeping him from moving in daylight, consider cutting them down. Dan has mentioned this and might be too extreme for some.

Dan has said a property will only have as many big bucks as it has bedding for them. That leads me to believe lots of downfall and hinge cutting along the crest would be a winter project. Thick would be the goal. Setting up a food source would be springtime work. Maybe your family wants a few apple trees in the yard to compliment the food plots.

Also plan where you can kill with minimal disturbance. One hunt in a sensitive spot could do some damage. Thermals will limit choices also.

You have a great structure to start with. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the advice!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:37 am

Your welcome.
I should have suggested persimmon trees and any other native plants that might work for you.
Got milkweed???? Lol
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:53 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:persimmon

Yes, I will plant some of those persimmons...I just looked them up! I was thinking of a couple Apple trees up next to the cemetery, I think I'll put some of these up there too.
I've been throwing milkweed to the breeze, so hopefully I get some popping. ;)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Glad the persimmons have a place in your plans.

Are you going to have room between the bedding and new food sources for a kill location?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:28 pm

I think so. I was up there walking it today and I think I can lay it out to have a small window between the two.
CedarFlat

Unread postby CedarFlat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:50 am

New to the forum. I really need some help determining what to do on my property. I’m going into my second year living on 40 acres. Made a lot of improvements last year and want to make some more permanent ones this year. Also, access has been confusing. How should I hunt this property?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm

CedarFlat wrote:New to the forum. I really need some help determining what to do on my property. I’m going into my second year living on 40 acres. Made a lot of improvements last year and want to make some more permanent ones this year. Also, access has been confusing. How should I hunt this property?

Welcome! I'm just learning myself, I was hoping a few more guys would chip in some advice. Got some good advice above from justdirtyfun.

What improvements did you make last year that you seen benefit from? What did you do that you don't think was very valuable?
CedarFlat

Unread postby CedarFlat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

The one small field which is really to close to the cabin where I live was going to be used as a food plot. Plenty of persimmons and oaks. Other than that it is all wooded. The neighbors in the other cabin do not live there year round. They are mostly there during firearm season. They are meat hunters. Hunting pressure increases dramatically around the second week of November. Accessing in a way that won’t be to intrusive has been my issue.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”