Who do you let hunt your property?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tydaniel

Who do you let hunt your property?

Unread postby Tydaniel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

Those of you that own private ground, who do you let hunt it? Is it family only? Friends? Anyone? If you do let more than just family hunt it, what is expected of them? Do you charge an annual fee for food plots, maintenance, etc? Has do you expect them to do chores/work on plots and maintenance? Has anybody ever had a free loader? What did you do?

Scott S

Re: Who do you let hunt your property?

Unread postby Scott S » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am

My dad only.

He helps with property improvement when he can. Even if he didn't lift a rake once he'd still get the full access pass, because he's my dad. He only wants to hunt the edges of it anyway because access is fairly brutal on my hill and his fitness isn't great.

Fortunately, he's the only person I hunt with besides my 3.5 year old son, so I haven't had to have any difficult conversations about who can and can't hunt it.

If I had friends that wanted to hunt I can see how it would make for some challenging situations as I only own 33 acres and we only hunt it 3-5 times a year. Any more bodies or sits on it and I'm sure it would go cold fairly quickly from pressure.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:33 am

Only family.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 am

Nobody.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 am

Family only.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 am

I had some small properties in the past & let some friends hunt it with restrictions on what could be shot. I never required anything else of them. Other than a base camp on a friends 10 acres years ago that isn't known to have any big bucks I have never had the same offered to me here in Michigan. Even though I have done a lot of work helping others turn there properties into good places to kill big bucks. Once the work was done I got left in the cold & had to put up with their bragging about how great their deer hunting was after all the hard work. It got to the point I quit helping people.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 am

Nobody, I put a lot of work into my place. If someone wanted to hunt, all they would need to do is lend a hand a few weekends a year- I’m not even asking for a lot.
My father is always welcome.
My neighbor is the only person who would help me out without asking for something in return.
Ryan
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 am

Only my most immediate family and life long friends.

Kids get to shoot what they want and adults that have killed deer before have to adhere to my strict management rules.

Dont make them pay anything to hunt but everyone knows if you dont come help do some work your not going to hunt the best spots.

Only thing I insist is anyone that goes hunting must 100% give up on their deer hunt to kill predators and hogs, if they pass on predator or hog they dont get to hunt again that season.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:36 am

I’m thinking about selling mine in big buckville, Michigan.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:51 am

I let a friend come take a doe every year. My step dad hunts a couple days during rifle, my wife hunts a couple times. I hunted maybe 5 sits. One buddy is welcome to whenever he wants but he has other spots that are a lot better so he hasn’t hunted here in a while.

I do all the work. If somebody complains about any of it I tend to get very angry.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”