Are these Hunting Beast Bedding locations

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnwild

Are these Hunting Beast Bedding locations

Unread postby mnwild » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:25 am

I am trying to see if I am catching on to some of the main techniques. If anyone has some time and could review and provide some feedback that would be great. Would you agree with my thoughts, or am I off on my thinking and understanding. Any obvious areas that you see that I am missing. This would mostly be bow hunting with little to no other hunting pressure during this time. The yellow lines are trails, and then a dirt road on the right side of the pictures.
Areas:
1: - This to me looks like it could be a bench with potential buck bedding areas. The area is mature oaks and maples though. But I thought maybe with the wind coming over the hill they would be bedded there, would that make sense?
2: - This to me also looks like it could be a bench with a bedding area with a west wind and they can watch over the hill. This area is thicker on the east side of the hill, with oaks and maples just to the west (left). We have a couple of bow stands in the oaks and maples that we normally see deer in.
3: Lower terrain, but I thought maybe a south facing bench would make sense for bedding and then they can escape to the swamp to the west. It seemed easier to see the hill on the 2 foot topo.
4: I noticed this area canoeing the river this year. Most of the river has swamp on the edges, but here the woods are close and it looked like a couple deer trails crossing there. I also want to check out the oxbow to the north of the river. It looked like some nice oaks as well. (See zoomed in pic)
5: I was trying to look for some bedding in the swampy areas. I zoomed in but it looks like there could be some high ground that they could bed in and then if needed escape across river through cattails. (See zoomed in pic)
6: This swamp bedding seemed more promising to me. There were some isolated tree clumps that would have an easy escape route across the river and they could slip through the cattails to the north as well. And then in the oxbow looked like oaks for feeding. (See zoomed in pic)

Topo 1.png

Sat.JPG

River Sat image.png

2 foot topo detail.png

Wetland.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnwild

Re: Are these Hunting Beast Bedding locations

Unread postby mnwild » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 am

I did some walking this week being I wasn't going to be hunting the one area and the other I walked through briefly.

1) This chunk was logged last summer, so maybe some bedding on the edge but probably not much now.
2) I walked through the edge of this area, looks like it could be more of a doe bedding area with small pines. I did see a couple beds that might randomly be used by bucks on the edge of a tree overlooking an area. But didn't look to be heavily used. I am guessing this is doe bedding from what I say. We do see deer come from this area. Due to recent sporadic logging in the area, I am thinking we might be spooking these deer on the way in now as they can see further.
5) I walked through this area it is very wet and I didn't find any areas that were high ground. I am guessing I need to look more. I did see one bed in this area as well be maybe only used once.
6) This still looks the best to me, I am hoping to get a good wind and walk in for an evening sit.
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 am

Would anyone have any thoughts on these areas. I am looking to go look at these trees along the river this summer, I assume they would be good buck bedding with the wind coming from the woods towards the river? Looking at the number 6 in this image.

River Sat image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 am

How big of a clear cut are u talking about? Where is the buck sign going to and coming from? What did you find in the beds, how many, etc?
I like areas 4-6 as they appear to be more remote, have more transitions and if a buck is bedding in that area, he’ll have to go to towards that clear cut and oaks to feed.
The access on that property looks very difficult but I could be wrong.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:50 am

mnwild wrote:Would anyone have any thoughts on these areas. I am looking to go look at these trees along the river this summer, I assume they would be good buck bedding with the wind coming from the woods towards the river? Looking at the number 6 in this image.

River Sat image.png

Yes the trees along the river are a very likely spot as long as there’s thick security cover. Keep in mind River activity (boats/fisherman/duck hunters) can also factor in. If the river is busy I would expect a “happy medium” bedding scenario where they find the least pressured spot between the river and dry land. If the river is quiet they’re likely to be pushed up against it.

I would walk the hard transition along the dry land/big trees first and watch for rub lines and scrapes coming out of the river area. Sometimes that’s where the majority of the buck sign will be. It’s not always in and near the beds.

Also, there’s a chance that it’s better doe bedding than buck bedding. On the dry land watch for a parallel trail with buck sign on it. They will scent check those trails even if the wind is blowing toward the river.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 am

Lockdown wrote:
mnwild wrote:Would anyone have any thoughts on these areas. I am looking to go look at these trees along the river this summer, I assume they would be good buck bedding with the wind coming from the woods towards the river? Looking at the number 6 in this image.

River Sat image.png

Yes the trees along the river are a very likely spot as long as there’s thick security cover. Keep in mind River activity (boats/fisherman/duck hunters) can also factor in. If the river is busy I would expect a “happy medium” bedding scenario where they find the least pressured spot between the river and dry land. If the river is quiet they’re likely to be pushed up against it.

I would walk the hard transition along the dry land/big trees first and watch for rub lines and scrapes coming out of the river area. Sometimes that’s where the majority of the buck sign will be. It’s not always in and near the beds.

Also, there’s a chance that it’s better doe bedding than buck bedding. On the dry land watch for a parallel trail with buck sign on it. They will scent check those trails even if the wind is blowing toward the river.

Don’t skip the trees NW of #5
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I like the the thought NW of #5. I haven't walked that side of the river much yet but it looks the most promising.

The south side has a good sized swamp between the river and the hardwoods, I have walked part of it but I started by walking to the river looking for some high ground in the swamp and to check out #5.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:18 am

River Sat image.png

Yes. I wouldn’t overlook the clumps to the west if there is enough cover to hold one out there, that is where I would expect him to be once you get into the fall pattern. But depending on how much cover is out there, how many deer are in the area and how much pressure there is, he may be bedding in that tree belt right by your 6, or there may not be a good buck using that area at all... also it may be tough to tell what is what out there during the summer...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mnwild

Unread postby mnwild » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:18 am

There isn't much hunting pressure in this area in the fall, there would be latter during the rifle season though. The river doesn't have much activity either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”